Why Is Polygamy So Controversial?

Doug5

Reaction score
It happend in the Bible and other major religions. I totally understand why most women wouldnt want to share a husband, but a small minority doesnt mind. Whats the big deal?

Im talking about consenting adults, not those child marriages that was in the news recently

Topic moved from General to Debates
Moderator naisho

Last edited by a moderator:
Wirelessly posted (droid)

Because it's a patriarchal institution that harms women and children.

I must point out... there is a difference between polygamy and being polyamorous. Polygamy is only the male getting multiple wives... polyamorous is having multiple partners... where it is not limited to one person in the family...

It happend in the Bible and other major religions....
In happened historically in the world, and the Bible recorded that. God never approved of polygamy.

Yes, I was referring to polygamy beause the OP specifically addressed it.
I don't see women lining up to join in polygamy. It occurs in a closed society without recruits. The same as the "quiverful" movement that requires a woman to be a brood mare her whole life. I'm grateful for birth control. My health would have never held up w/o it.

I think polygamy hurts men too. Sure some men end up with multiple wives -- but for that to happen, many men must end up with not even one wife!

And in some sects that practice polygamy, they throw out the boys while they are still young to eliminated the competition and to help the leaders maintain a strong control over their sect.

And you really can't leave out child marriages when discussing polygamy, because practically speaking that is the best way to implement it -- marry the female while she is still very young and doesn't have any other options.

Lastly, as practiced in the US among some of the sects that have been in the news over the past decade or so, the men can't afford their huge "families". So society helps fund this through welfare, foodstamps and medicaid payments.

Good point. The crazy leader that was just convicted allegedly reassigned wives to different men. He was busted for sex with minors (testimony from males and females). So, male children were abused then abondoned. Such a bad situation for all people abused.

It happend in the Bible and other major religions. I totally understand why most women wouldnt want to share a husband, but a small minority doesnt mind. Whats the big deal?

Im talking about consenting adults, not those child marriages that was in the news recently

It doesn't bother me as long as consenting adults but, if man can have more than 1 wife, I want more than 1 husband. Polyandry. :giggle:

It is controversial because Westernized value systems deem it so.

I think that it's because the main goal of the laws regulating marriage is to protect the children and make sure that they are adequately provided for.

I think polygamy hurts men too. Sure some men end up with multiple wives -- but for that to happen, many men must end up with not even one wife!

And in some sects that practice polygamy, they throw out the boys while they are still young to eliminated the competition and to help the leaders maintain a strong control over their sect.

And you really can't leave out child marriages when discussing polygamy, because practically speaking that is the best way to implement it -- marry the female while she is still very young and doesn't have any other options.

Lastly, as practiced in the US among some of the sects that have been in the news over the past decade or so, the men can't afford their huge "families". So society helps fund this through welfare, foodstamps and medicaid payments.
Good points.

Good point. The crazy leader that was just convicted allegedly reassigned wives to different men. He was busted for sex with minors (testimony from males and females). So, male children were abused then abondoned. Such a bad situation for all people abused.

That's sad.

It is controversial because Westernized value systems deem it so.

Um not quite. It's about males being self centered and feeding their ego about how they can get all these women. It's not about having a real loving healthy realtionship with women. It's about seeing women as possessions.

Seriously, if the guy who founded the Mormons and who advocated polygamy was around today, he would be classfied as a sex addict.

Let people marry whoever they want as many as they want. As long as they are consenting adults. Government, butt out of our personal lives PLEASE.

Back