Movie Theatres And Captioning

Hockey94

Reaction score
So I really don't like going to see a movie at the theatre... because I never understand what's going on. However I seen once a sign that my theatre offered some sort of captioning for the movie.

I haven't gone to seen a movie in awhile, so I'm curious if anyone has ever tried such a thing? What is your experience like? And does it actually work for keeping up with the movie?

I just googled some images... but it kind of looks as if you're reading at "it" then you are at actually watching the movie.

But was just curious...

edit:

and what about people who wears glasses for those glasses which I assume you see captions with somehow?

So I really don't like going to see a movie at the theatre... because I never understand what's going on. However I seen once a sign that my theatre offered some sort of captioning for the movie.

I haven't gone to seen a movie in awhile, so I'm curious if anyone has ever tried such a thing? What is your experience like? And does it actually work for keeping up with the movie?

I just googled some images... but it kind of looks as if you're reading at "it" then you are at actually watching the movie.

But was just curious...

edit:

and what about people who wears glasses for those glasses which I assume you see captions with somehow?
I have no idea where you are located so here's the link for you to search a captioned movie you want to see in your area after you type in your location at the top right.

http://www.captionfish.com/

Unfortunately, there are no more OC (Open Captioned) films at theaters. There are two technologies provided for deaf audiences so far, Sony-DV and CV.

I am hearing and my fiancé is Deaf. When we go to the movies, we ask for a captioning device as we get our tickets. At the AMC 8, it's a captioning unit that you put in your cup holder and you can adjust the rectangular screen that provides the captions. At the Regal, they have captioning glasses, which are kind of heavy, that you wear. He prefers the first type. I hope you find what you're looking for!

Yeah Captiview is the one I prefer. It's the one that fits in the cup holder.

I`ve used both what Jetti has said. I also prefer the box that goes in the cup holder. You ask for it when you go in and they cue it up to whatever movie you are in. It keeps up just as well as if you are watching captions on your TV. It is only on your own private box that is all. The first time you use it it may take a bit to bend it and adjust it to get it comfortable to where you want to see it. I like mine just under the screen at eye level. i used to not like the movies either but now I can go again and understand. The funny thing about this devise is the looks you get when people walk in. It looks like you are one of those people who sneak in a camera and you want to pirate the movie. My wife and I love to laugh at this. I`m not wild about the glasses because you have wires and a small box around your neck. I also where glasses but that isn't a problem they fit right over them. But when you move your head the caption also moves. They are a bit more discreet but not as comfortable. I have never seen a 3D movie with one of these. I`m guessing I`d have to wear 3 different glasses.

I prefer the glasses. I can see the caption wherever I look on screen. I hated the cupholder kind. Always had to look near to read and look far to watch. They don't match up but with glasses, I can see both at same time.

Captiview sucks due to loosening fit in cup holder which can be frustrating. When exiting the theaters room, some people think I just exited from a space ship with that device. RME! I like glasses better, when I chat with someone, and I am still able to read captions which is cool.

I wear glasses- have used the captioned glasses for at least a year (I go fairly regularly- cheaper prices one day a week). They're a little bulky and heavy but you kind of get used to them. The little box isn't really hung around your neck... the ones they have here is just one cord from the glasses to the receiver. What I do is stick the receiver in the cup older so my hands are free for popcorn lol. Downside is you have to remember it is THERE- accidentally stood up and disconnected them and they'd drop oops. No damage though.

They know me on sight now lol. Sometimes a few problems like it isn't tuned to the right theater or the thing is D-E-A-D. Just recently I fiddled with it because it was dying near the end of the movie- so I squeezed every last bit of battery life out of it. Learned a few things on how it works. Overall I like 'em. Would be interesting to try the cup holder but it sounds like something that may not really work for me too well.

The little boxes and glasses they provide, is very expensive for the theaters to buy, and theaters where I live have no accommodations at all.

So.....

Just to let everyone know. I am an engineer, and I just can't help but take action when my creative thought process gets rolling. This issue bothered me as well.

I actually wrote up an outline months ago for a cell phone blue-tooth app that could be used by theaters for Android and Apple i-phones.

Basically each theater would have a short range high powered blue-tooth transmitter (that goes up to 50-80ft) on the ceiling of the theater that transmits to the movie-goers below. The other option would be to use a short range directional wi-fi transmitter to do the same. The wi-fi version would also allow you to use the BT signal on your phone to synch up with your hearing devices (CI or HA's). A free App you can then have available for download on Google-play, would then allow the hearing impaired to synch with that proprietary licensed transmitter, and you could then read the captions on your own cell phone by selecting the signal/movie you need to read/hear.

The App would automatically turn down the background screen brightness to 0%, and all you would see is the words, and no bright back light to bother people nearby.

If you have CI or even newer Linx type HA's, it would also allow synching to provide a direct audible signal for the hearing impaired, by use of a wireless or wired connection to your cell phone..

Anyway, I sent my outline to Regal Cinema's, and also AMC Theaters. Both got back to me, and said they liked they idea because the technology is readily available and affordable. However, getting the Apps written, licensed, and implemented as a standard nationwide takes time, but eventually something like that may happen. I sure hope it does, because my daughter misses the movies. She just can't enjoy them anymore, even though she has a CI now.

hmm but the thing with that is-- you will be looking down at the app screen then looking up at the screen. Not sure I'd like doing that.

Could hold the phone up to eye level but after 15 minutes arms are going to get really wobbly lol.

What I hope happens is is some day the current caption glasses are re engineered to be less bulky and more like regular glasses and/or a unit that can somehow directly clip to my current pair of prescription glasses (eliminate the need for two glasses). I haven't tried yet to see if I could even see the captions without my glasses (won't work for people who are far sighted lol)- might try that next time I go.

Interesting idea though :)

^^^ They do make those cell phone holders like the ones for the cup holders that bend like a snake so you could attach your phone, and mount it just below eye level, like at the bottom of a tv screen.

If not, Google Glass?

Hmm point taken- would love to try out one of those- either the cell phone or the current rear view set up.

Google Glass is probably out of my price range lol.

I have tried almost all different type of captioning.

But ....

I like the glasses the best out of all.

I can go bathroom and not miss out anything unless the auditorium is the last one in the row and very far from the bathroom. :)

Also I can stand out in the hallway and check on my smartphone and do some light surfing and still watch the movie through the crack of the windows in the door if the movie is so so but I happened to go with a group of friends.

Back