Are sign language interpreters necessary at all public events? – watch

rockin'robin

Reaction score
If you’ve been keeping up with the protests in Baltimore, you might have seen a press conference with a sign language interpreter. Dennis Malloy discusses why they might not be as helpful as you think on this episode of “Just One More Thing.”

Have you ever seen a sign language interpreter during a press conference? Most of the time they’re standing next to the speaker communicating important points to a group of people. While the intention behind using them seems relatively harmless, Dennis wonders whether including them at all is just a ploy to please the PC crowd.

If you think about it, anyone who is actually deaf would probably already have their closed captioning on their TVs already, so it seems relatively useless to include them on the screen as well.

What do you think? Check out this episode of “Just One More Thing” and chime in on the video in the comments section below!

http://nj1015.com/sign-language-interpreters-necessary-at-all-public-events-watch/

Strange!...the video has no CC...perhaps Reba or someone can translate what this guy is actually saying?

It's good to have them, as some deaf do not read well or fast enough to follow captions, or they may be at a restaurant or bar that does not have captions turned on. When its regarding a local emergency of any type. The problem is that the stupid camera operators or producers fail to keep or show the interpreters in the news stream. When I was living in Colorado Springs and several years back we had the big Waldo and Black Forest fires, they were evacuating homes in immediate danger. our local news programs never caption live reports or news. So Deaf had no idea what was happening. I had friends living in the immediate evacuation areas that didn't know what was going on. The local Interpreting service sent interpreters over to the fire command post and paid out of their own pocket for it. Many Deaf complained about not being informed and after the event they had a big meeting about how to improve response for emergencies. We were able to get them to request interpreters right away in future. I believe they got paid for their service eventually because the governor declared a state of emergency for our area.
So I didn't watch the video but I totally believe Interpreters need to be on screen during any of these types of emergencies where evacuations, curfews or martial law etc. is being put in place.
IMHO of course.

Can't say I agree with Dennis Malloy. I assume he is just ignorant of how important sign language is, and that it is a good thing to offer information in a signers first language. He is mainly complaining that the signing disturbs the message and that the speaker needs to wait for the terp translating. We don't have this issue in Sweden, the "public service" send a translated version on the Webb, or sometimes one channel sends a translated version and another sends the original. However, the terps are working from a studio and not standing next to the speaker. If there are terps at an event, then they are placed off camera, and in a place where Deaf audience members can see them easily. Of course there should be sign language translation, but there is no need for it to be done in an distracting way.

I would think that interpreters would be sorely needed- especially if it's a last minute live event press conference- I don't know how quickly a captioner can set up but still even if it was captioned- like southpaw said there are many instances where captions may not be available- technical problems, tvs without captions turned on, people aren't fast readers-- or (in my case)- can't always SEE the things (especially in a bar or where a tv is far away). Having an interpreter is better although I may not be able to see that either, it's still better than tiny tiny letters scrolling across the screen lol.

CC can be wildly off, especially if it's live, so I too agree the interpreters should be there & visible the whole time. The hearing people, who are probably the ones complaining, can just close their eyes & listen.

The CC on TV are not always reliable , they'll have the wrong words or leave out a whole sentence . I had missed some words b/c I could not understand what was being said on TV and CC did not show the words . Or the CC can't keep up with the speaker and will just leave out part of what they said. Interpreters are also there b/c there are people right in the room too.

ASL rocks.

We need ASL interpreters more than we need close captioned on live T.V. or recorded programming. Shame on Mr. Malloy who never understand anything about our deafness and Deaf Culture. He only think what he want instead of our accommodation needs. He does not understand why we need them. :(

No video. People like me can do fine with the caption, but not everyone can. Providing needed info has nothing to do with being PC. Silly.

Back