Subtitles & captions

Just checking CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews and ESPN on TV. CNN and ESPN display CC at the top and the rest display CC above the ticker.

Bald Eagle, yeah I agree with you about the cut-off when it's a commercial time after news reporting. I was like "Whoa, what happened to the bad guy? Hunted, caught or dead?". Annoying!

DeafDucky, I also think that someday we can choose a placement for CC since we can change a color, font type and size so why not a placement? Computer technology can make it happen.

I don't have the stations listed in the part I have added the bold to. But, for the stations I do get with an OTA antenna the placement of the captions varies depending on what is on.

I wonder, how do your countries do as for captions? Are they common enough? Are they accurate and punctual?
When traveling to London, I was surprised to discover that even TV commercials were captioned! Here in Italy you don't see subtitled advertisements.

it is better in BRITAIN I just turn them on or off.Can be irritating when no get them all in though.
I guessing you watch tv in a pub those tv are good but Late night tv aimed deaf I record the soaps I follow bc get signer aswel

For VideoLan Media Player, you can download captions in SRT. files for your favorite shows, upload them to your player and they will display automatically while playing a film/episode. The drawback is with newer shows, new seasons don't have captioning files and you may need to wait for them to become available.

Speaking about captions why doesn't YouTube have all videos in caption that should be a rule or something. The other day I was helping my deaf customer and he wanted to see a video and wanted the captions and as I'm trying to help him I find out that not all videos have it and he couldn't see it. It really upset me.

Speaking about captions why doesn't YouTube have all videos in caption that should be a rule or something. The other day I was helping my deaf customer and he wanted to see a video and wanted the captions and as I'm trying to help him I find out that not all videos have it and he couldn't see it. It really upset me.
Not really sure.. there are several reasons why sometimes videos don't have the auto captions (which aren't the best...)

found this info though
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3038280?hl=en

If your video does not have automatic captions, it could be due to one or more of the following reasons:

• The language in the video is not yet supported by automatic captions
  • The video is too long
  • The video has poor sound quality or contains speech that YouTube doesn't recognize
  • There is a long period of silence at the beginning of the video
  • There are multiple speakers whose speech overlaps

there's also apparently an option somewhere in the User Manager when one uploads a video but I think the auto captioning is set to ON by default.

And unless the person uploading the video reviews & fixes the caption you might as well not have captions because the auto caption is terrible. I let a friend of mine know how bad his captions were - asked him if he'd seen them. Once he watched with the captions he fixed them and is now doing his own captions.

And unless the person uploading the video reviews & fixes the caption you might as well not have captions because the auto caption is terrible. I let a friend of mine know how bad his captions were - asked him if he'd seen them. Once he watched with the captions he fixed them and is now doing his own captions.
yep... I know there's a movement around on twitter #withcaptions (and a video on youtube) to encourage more people to caption their videos. Many people aren't aware that you can even just edit the caption file that's already created if they turn on the auto caption transcribe option. Every chance I get I try to say something about it lol.

There is no law to require YT videos to be captioned. That's why. However, Google which owns YT has it own auto captions which is not successful and never will be.

This is a bit of a change of subject, but I'm having a heck of a time getting some shows on NBC to caption properly. In the evening from about 8 pm on I will only get one or two lines of captioning every 5 mins or so per show. . I'm unable to follow the story at that rate. I've contacted everyone that should be able to tell me with what is happening, the local station, NBC, FCC and no one seems to know what is going on. This just started a month or so ago, previously all was fine. All is fine with captions on all other tv stations. I'm stumped, guess I'll have to give up NBC evening programs, not that good anyway.

Check with the cable (or other ) provider if you have that... it's sometimes on their end.

Yes, I expect it's on our end, no cable or other provider. We watch over the air via an antenna.
ahh okay.

If the tv is older, could be the tv starting to go kaput. That happened with someone I knew. She tried everything when one of the stations started showing gibberish captions (I think they had cable too and they told her it wasn't them either). Went and got a new tv... and no gibberish captions.

just a anecdote- no real proof it was really the tv or not lol.

ahh okay.

If the tv is older, could be the tv starting to go kaput. That happened with someone I knew. She tried everything when one of the stations started showing gibberish captions (I think they had cable too and they told her it wasn't them either). Went and got a new tv... and no gibberish captions.

just a anecdote- no real proof it was really the tv or not lol.

It is quite old, can't remember when we got it. I suspect it's on our end, we are talking about a new set, so no problem really.

Germany is far behind.
They made some improvements over the last few years, but still it pretty much sucks. Not all news are captioned and some channels still don't have them at all.
Or one movie airs on the same channel twice. They run it at 8p.m. with captions and if you happen to miss this and want to watch it three hours later (or the following day) you might have to watch it without the captions. I don't get why they do that.
So most of the time we just watch the stuff that have captions and not the things we would like to. I really hope that they will change something about that!

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

Germany is far behind.
They made some improvements over the last few years, but still it pretty much sucks. Not all news are captioned and some channels still don't have them at all.
Or one movie airs on the same channel twice. They run it at 8p.m. with captions and if you happen to miss this and want to watch it three hours later (or the following day) you might have to watch it without the captions. I don't get why they do that.
So most of the time we just watch the stuff that have captions and not the things we would like to. I really hope that they will change something about that!

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf
In America, there's a law that gives us equal access. That's ADA, CVAA, etc. In Germany, is there a law like that? If not, then deaf people there have to fight for it.

This is a bit of a change of subject, but I'm having a heck of a time getting some shows on NBC to caption properly. In the evening from about 8 pm on I will only get one or two lines of captioning every 5 mins or so per show. . I'm unable to follow the story at that rate. I've contacted everyone that should be able to tell me with what is happening, the local station, NBC, FCC and no one seems to know what is going on. This just started a month or so ago, previously all was fine. All is fine with captions on all other tv stations. I'm stumped, guess I'll have to give up NBC evening programs, not that good anyway.

Getting the BBC to caption their DVDs is harder. Just got Netflix DVDs for my mother and none of the British TV shows I've rented for her have subtitles. That's not right.....

Laura

In America, there's a law that gives us equal access. That's ADA, CVAA, etc. In Germany, is there a law like that? If not, then deaf people there have to fight for it.

Sadly, there is no law...we are fighting for it, but it is a slow and hard going process.
Until two years ago or so deaf/hoh people didn't have to pay that ridiculous "tax" for the TV which isn't one officially, but that has changed. So now everyone has to pay, at least only a third of the usual amount, and they are not making a real good progress when it comes to captions.
Well, no reason to give up! I really hope it'll change soon!

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Sadly, there is no law...we are fighting for it, but it is a slow and hard going process.
Until two years ago or so deaf/hoh people didn't have to pay that ridiculous "tax" for the TV which isn't one officially, but that has changed. So now everyone has to pay, at least only a third of the usual amount, and they are not making a real good progress when it comes to captions.
Well, no reason to give up! I really hope it'll change soon!

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf
I understand about TV captions issue but what about DVD or BD (Blu-ray) movies? Are both English and Germany subtitles available?

Getting the BBC to caption their DVDs is harder. Just got Netflix DVDs for my mother and none of the British TV shows I've rented for her have subtitles. That's not right.....

Laura

are you sure tv shows I watch have captions...it maybe due to tv licence which we pay for in uk some legal thing ..I don't know a great deal about Netflix and I not watch dvd in years.Wish I could be more helpful

Back