Scam uses Sorenson VP phone directory!

C

coloravalanche

The reason why I posted my thread here at General Chat instead of other Forum because everyone tends to come and read here so I thought it will be more helpful if everyone reads this here - its important for everyone to be aware.

I received this email this morning from Sorenson ask me if I either accept or reject this person request to contact me on VP. I knew it was SCAMMER so I rejected it!

Be cautious about this. I was :shock: I couldnt believe these scammers could sign into www.sorensonvrs.com to be member for phone list directory!

I copy and paste for you all to read below what I received in my email.

An individual has requested your videophone number. His or her name, email address, and comments are below for you to review.

First Name: villipedro009@yahoo.com
Last Name: villipedro009@yahoo.com
E-mail Address: villipedro009@yahoo.com
Comments: villipedro009@yahoo.com
I am Mr. Villi Pedro.The manager Credit and Account Department of BANQUE SANS FRONTIERE SARL LOME TOGO. Late Mr Sinclair West who died here in Lome Togo on a car accident deposited usd$10M in our bank's vault. Now i want you to be the next of kin to this fund because it is not recorded in his deposit certificate.
I will need your full names, contact address, telephone and fax numbers so that i will slot it into our bank Data base for it to tally with what we have in the security vault of the bank. I will send to you an application draft which you shall re-type and send to the bank for an official commencement of this transaction.
You may contact me as a matter of fact and urgency on my private
telephone 00228 993 4942 for more informations and clarifications.
Best regards,PLS CONTACT ME ON (villipedro009@yahoo.com)
Mr Villi Pedro

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE PERSON REQUESTING YOUR INFORMATION IT MIGHT BE A SCAM.

IF YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE PERSON CONTACTING YOU, PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS.

I did the same thing when I received this letter. It right excatlly as your post. I did delete because I don't know that person :dunno: . thanks for warnning about it.

Marie

coloravalanche said:
The reason why I posted my thread here at General Chat instead of other Forum because everyone tends to come and read here so I thought it will be more helpful if everyone reads this here - its important for everyone to be aware.

I received this email this morning from Sorenson ask me if I either accept or reject this person request to contact me on VP. I knew it was SCAMMER so I rejected it!

Be cautious about this. I was :shock: I couldnt believe these scammers could sign into www.sorensonvrs.com to be member for phone list directory!

I copy and paste for you all to read below what I received in my email.

An individual has requested your videophone number. His or her name, email address, and comments are below for you to review.

First Name: villipedro009@yahoo.com
Last Name: villipedro009@yahoo.com
E-mail Address: villipedro009@yahoo.com
Comments: villipedro009@yahoo.com
I am Mr. Villi Pedro.The manager Credit and Account Department of BANQUE SANS FRONTIERE SARL LOME TOGO. Late Mr Sinclair West who died here in Lome Togo on a car accident deposited usd$10M in our bank's vault. Now i want you to be the next of kin to this fund because it is not recorded in his deposit certificate.
I will need your full names, contact address, telephone and fax numbers so that i will slot it into our bank Data base for it to tally with what we have in the security vault of the bank. I will send to you an application draft which you shall re-type and send to the bank for an official commencement of this transaction.
You may contact me as a matter of fact and urgency on my private
telephone 00228 993 4942 for more informations and clarifications.
Best regards,PLS CONTACT ME ON (villipedro009@yahoo.com)
Mr Villi Pedro

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE PERSON REQUESTING YOUR INFORMATION IT MIGHT BE A SCAM.

IF YOU DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE PERSON CONTACTING YOU, PLEASE BE CAUTIOUS.

I already warned that Sorenson's server are very easy to break in, nobody believes me.
This is real old news to me.

starrygaze said:
stupid. they should protect. my name is in there.

i read her message email. To me look more likely must be Nigeria Scam. One of my friend send forward email to me and read it after that send her back dont do anything and delete it. I am glad my friend send me and asked me it is prank or what. I told her it was scam.

Holy fuck.

I do have my name in the vp directory but my number is not made public...good thing! One has to request my number from me.

Geez. First emails then ip-relay and now vp?!

Shit. :hyper: :mad: :ugh2: :pissed: :ugh: :rl: :rifle: :o :run: :-o :fu2:

www.Deafvp.com already had a warning for all members on the website
Warning
Listing your name on the deafVP directory provides information allowing anyone with a videophone to call you. Use discretion when answering calls from people you do not know. If you do not recognize the name of the caller, you can select the "Reject call" option on the caller ID notification of the incoming calls. If you have problems with "prank" calls, you might consider removing your listing, on the deafVP directory.

So if you do not recognize then reject and delete. *shrug* (but look below)

coloravalanche,
by the way, they do not need to be signed in to send you this.. they just click a button to request your number and there's a textbox which they fill in those text you saw.

BUT: if it is a scammer, then don't do anything... just delete it. why? they filled in those boxes with email addresses which is useless because when you reject, they don't get anything back from you. If it is real and not a scammer then the accept link does work.

i got this via email warning from deaf newsletter or was it from ip-relay.com ? cant remmy which... but it was like not long ago that they announced to watch out for that as it is just a scam so common sense not to answer the call but reject that! :)

Yea, I got email from scammers sometimes abt VP and I always reject...

I got some IMs on Yahoo or AIM from scammer who found our names and ph nbr but they do not know where we are from. They want to find a lady or man to marry, second, find someone who can be representative to work for someone else. They claimed that they found us through deafvp but I do not believe because they do not have our vp phone number and not have my screenname and email address unless get a permission to me through soresonson

I notice that most people who IM us are from Nigeria. DO NOT ANSWER TO THEM WHO ARE FROM NIGERIA! Or they can give you trouble!!!!

diehardbiker65 said:
I already warned that Sorenson's server are very easy to break in, nobody believes me.
This is real old news to me.
This has nothing at all to do with Sorenson servers. It's about using the directory to target people in phishing or other scams. The good ole saying from many many years ago still holds true today. That is; "If if sounds to good to be true, it is" Besides, the good news here is that at least Sorenson sends you an email letting you know someone is wanting your number instead of just giving it out. You gotta give them some credit for that.

My sister and I have our Sorenson VP number unlisted- we decided not to publish our name and number on the list, its just like unlisted phone number, ya know?

Since we hot VP, we haven't had problem like that, but thanks for letting me know.

ditto.. I don't have VP lol why should I use it cuz I'm not stupid that alot of idiots will try to hit on me on VP ugh.. so I prefer computer or emails ;)

i am not vp user but my friends wanna me to be a vp user but i dunno

but it is piece of crap when ppl scram ppl OUT grrrrr

we are on the list and our nbr isnt posted for the public to know -- ppl has to request our nbr first

Yes I have done that before by Scammers

When my "mom" told me about the conversation between the scammer and her about giving my "mom" 2.5 million of dollars and I knew it was fishy so I went over to my "mom"'s house and read the conversation on the chat log. When I read the conversation and I felt something was not right and I sort of gave my "mom" the look by saying "That's pretty risky!" and I told her I really don't know about the conversation between the scammer and my "mom" so when my "mom" and I talked to one of the guys from another country which was from in Africa. One of these days my "mom" and I talked and the scammer asked for our driver's license and our bank accounts but all of a sudden my "mom" gave this scammer the information while I was doing something in the kitchen. Until then I got home from my "mom"'s house and this scammer the one who chatted with my "mom" and that person kept on asking me for the money, laptop, cell phone, a billing information (gas, cable, eletric, water, anything), bank name and account, passport, a car and copy of driver's license. I told that person I couldn't afford it and I wasn't interested in part of this but all of a sudden when I pissed that scammer off and that scammer somehow got into my bank account and took about $2,000.00 plus I owe the bank nearly $900.00 so I had to be patient and make payments until I paid it off. So I reported to the police with my bank statements and the police have tried to find where that scammer is coming from after I was almost got arrested for the money orders I got from the scammer and the bank told me that these money orders were fake. Even though the police said those names couldn't be found anywhere in Africa!!! Man this was very very hard for me and now it seems like the police couldn't do anything afterall. So I opened a new bank account with different bank and I wasn't too happy with that bank so I transferred back to my old bank because they knew what was going on about the scammer. Now I am so glad I go back to normal again!! Never never never trust anyone from the internet... EVER!!! Thank you so much for giving yourself time to read this message!!
:ty:

They key word is... Africa!

That's pretty much how all scams start. :roll:

Back