Oppsy....

sonocativo

Reaction score
Well, friday I decided to remodel my parents bathroom as a surprise. Took up old vinyl tiles, installed new vinyl floating floor ( same type as kitchen but different color. Found a custom $600 sink with marble top and under counter sink, the vanity has 3 rows of drawers ( and I got it for $138 on clearance...nice) then installed a new power flush toilet. Still needs to redo walls but waiting to see what they want ( paint or tiled ) so, Today ( saturday) I got up early to complete as I had a BBQ to attend. Got the toilet installed, the toilet flange wasnt secured so I popped in 2 screws to secure it and the toilet is nice and tight now....welllllll.
Took a shower and my son took a shower and we were headed out the door for an Hour trip to a BBQ when my mom asked why the kitchen floor and sink were wet??? WTF?
Ceiling was wet and dripping onto the cabinets and ah hell, where ?
So I poked a hole in the ceiling and water poured...wth WTH????
So shut the main off, busted a hole above the kitchen sink and wouldnt you know it.... when my uncle who did the bathroom about 30 years ago, he didnt put the pipes throught the joists, he notched the rafters/joists and just laid the pipes right under the subfloor so when I secured the toilet flange I drove a screw right into the water line. My dad wanted me to pull up the floor ( hell no I wasnt pulling the toilet, sink and new flooring....) so I got up into the ceiling, located the source ( still had to pul toilet to remove the screw,) but being a tight area, we used a saddle valve reversed to seal the tiny puncture.....what a mess and a waste of my weekend.
Long story short, its easier to fix the drywall than tear the bathroom apart after forking $1000 into it. The wow factor and the damage.
* you all may remember when I installed the shower, now all thats left is new walls and ceiling. Medicine cabinet is coming out, going to install a mirror , pantry for towels and a light bar

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0028.jpg
    IMG_0028.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 25
You're out of toilet paper :laugh2:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 10169414_10153019855239298_1398602024_n.jpg
    10169414_10153019855239298_1398602024_n.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 21
Wow! What a project and a fix-up. Glad you got it worked out. Nice thing you did for your parents to give them something more modern. It's always nice to find good deals, too.

I like the idea of you being willing to do the makeover for them. BUT . . . there are some many different types of toilets, lavatories, etc. and they come in so many different colors. Even faucets come in very many different styles and finishes with one of the main differences a single handle or two.

I have said this before but especially given how long these things last I believe the person/people that are going to use them should be the ones to chose them, based on a budget, of course.

I like the idea of you being willing to do the makeover for them. BUT . . . there are some many different types of toilets, lavatories, etc. and they come in so many different colors. Even faucets come in very many different styles and finishes with one of the main differences a single handle or two.

I have said this before but especially given how long these things last I believe the person/people that are going to use them should be the ones to chose them, based on a budget, of course.
Didn't hear any complaints from Momma and Poppa Sono- I think at the moment they are more concerned about the wet bathroom floor/kitchen ceiling than the color of the toilet.

I'm guessing they were happy with the toilet when he showed them the bathroom...

To each their own. Some people care very much about style/function/color and don't want others picking it out. Others don't give a hoot. I hate the toilet here because it's too high (yes I'm short :P) but nuthin' I can do about it.

And you KNOW that he hasn't discussed this stuff with them in the past. His surprise might have been more of a WHEN then a WHAT. Or he just may already know what his parents like.

Why do you always have make negative remarks when Mike shares his accomplishments? :roll:

Didn't hear any complaints from Momma and Poppa Sono- I think at the moment they are more concerned about the wet bathroom floor/kitchen ceiling than the color of the toilet.

I'm guessing they were happy with the toilet when he showed them the bathroom...

To each their own. Some people care very much about style/function/color and don't want others picking it out. Others don't give a hoot. I hate the toilet here because it's too high (yes I'm short :P) but nuthin' I can do about it.

I am one of the picky ones and think it may have come from not being able to afford changing anything just on a whim during my growing up years. I come from a background of once you make up your mind you stay with it.

I am not overly short for a woman but do prefer the lower toilets. There is one place where I have a different way around it. I am part of a group that sews Linus type blankets but in sizes other than what the Linus Projects do. We happen to have all gals there 99.9% of the time. The toilets in the men's room off of our church Fellowship Hall are very old and thus lower than the ones for handicapped and ladies that were moved/added just a few years ago. So when it is just gals there I use the men's room! Much more comfortable for me.

Did you see the thread about the "squatty potty" (I know that is misspelled) that Rockin Robin posted awhile back? Would that add-on solve your problem?

I am one of the picky ones and think it may have come from not being able to afford changing anything just on a whim during my growing up years. I come from a background of once you make up your mind you stay with it.

I am not overly short for a woman but do prefer the lower toilets. There is one place where I have a different way around it. I am part of a group that sews Linus type blankets but in sizes other than what the Linus Projects do. We happen to have all gals there 99.9% of the time. The toilets in the men's room off of our church Fellowship Hall are very old and thus lower than the ones for handicapped and ladies that were moved/added just a few years ago. So when it is just gals there I use the men's room! Much more comfortable for me.

Did you see the thread about the "squatty potty" (I know that is misspelled) that Rockin Robin posted awhile back? Would that add-on solve your problem?
Complaining, negativity is one thing, but making everything revolve around you....thats another.

Yes, Ive discussed it with my parents, they want change and put the ball in my court BECAUSE they trust me to make the best decision and make it the most practical. That bvery bathroom used to be only 3' X 5' of floor space with a small sink, toilet and tub crammed in there ( as you may know ) homes in the 1800 didnt have ndoor plumbing and had outhouses which this house had ( the outhouse was actually part of the garage ) but when modern plumbing cam in, they used the smallest room in the houses for the bathroom ( which was usually a closet )
The "toy room" that we had as a kid was divided and half became a walk in closet for the rear bedroom and the other half became part of the bathroom ( where the shower and sink are currently. Used to be seven rooms upstairs ( 3 beds, 2 closets, bathroom, and a toy room... now converted to 3 beds each with a walk in closet and a larger bathroom. The first floor remains original except for the kitchen remodel.

and I am in the process of remodeling the front bedroom ( last bedroom needing update )

I vaguely remember seeing a product something like that on FB some time ago. Don't know if it would be much help. But a cheapo stool from WalMart/Target does the trick- set it in front- rest feet on top and voila.

I vaguely remember seeing a product something like that on FB some time ago. Don't know if it would be much help. But a cheapo stool from WalMart/Target does the trick- set it in front- rest feet on top and voila.

They have sold over 30 million dollars worth of Squatty Potty since they appeared on the show Shark Tank. They sell them at Bed Bath and Beyond for I believe $24.99. They slide back under your toilet when not in use.

Never heard of squatty potty had to google it. They sell them on amazon too.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Squatty-Potty-Toilet-Stool-White/dp/B007BISCT0"]http://www.amazon.com/Squatty-Potty-Toilet-Stool-White/dp/B007BISCT0[/ame]

And in my search this image came up.

YAAAY!!!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Back