church video relay?!

zerodog

Reaction score
My friend just inform me and I have no problem with LDS or the Mormon...

It just hard to believe that they set up as VRS such as LDSVRS.com to use contact on LDSVRS.TV and wonder that they are non-profit or get pay from FCC?

To me, it sound abuse because base church and FCC sound like mix like oil and water?

This is interesting (from their site):

"Communicate easily through Sign Language Interpreters skilled in LDS/Mormon terminology."

I've never seen that before in a VRS site.

I've never heard or thought of this before! Deaf LDS members can call their Bishop or General/Local authorities through LDSVRS service. I will check this out.

Catty

I've never heard or thought of this before! Deaf LDS members can call their Bishop or General/Local authorities through LDSVRS service. I will check this out.

Catty
Can't they call them thru any VRS?

Can't they call them thru any VRS?

I believe it's religious privacy issue. So that's why they have LDSVRS. Same idea if Deaf Christians, Muslims, and other religion would want their privacy to talk to their local minister or leaders through VP.

Also another reason is that sometime any VRS may not be able to translate meaning of religious words to ASL or to spoken words. This would cause confusion.

Just the common sense thing.

Catty

To me, it sound abuse because base church and FCC sound like mix like oil and water?

:rofl: Church and State issue

Either that the LDS Church is paying for it. Which is why it's not known in the public.. That's my guess.

Let's try not flame on this issue. We're treading on thin ice here in AD Thread. Moderators may not like it. So Let's pull off the topic tho.

Catty

I believe it's religious privacy issue. So that's why they have LDSVRS. Same idea if Deaf Christians, Muslims, and other religion would want their privacy to talk to their local minister or leaders through VP.
Privacy? All interpreters, including VRS terps, are bound by their ethics to keep their work private. It doesn't matter the religion of any of the parties--they should all have an expectation of privacy. It's not just Mormon terps who would maintain privacy.

Also another reason is that sometime any VRS may not be able to translate meaning of religious words to ASL or to spoken words. This would cause confusion.
So should we require a separate VRS for every religion, occupation, ethnicity, etc., that might use a specialized vocabulary?

Just the common sense thing.
I think not.

Either that the LDS Church is paying for it. Which is why it's not known in the public.. That's my guess.

Let's try not flame on this issue. We're treading on thin ice here in AD Thread. Moderators may not like it. So Let's pull off the topic tho.

Catty
I don't see what's so funny. It's a legitimate question to ask whether or not it's a tax-supported service, and whether or not it's a service provided to only Mormons.

Privacy? All interpreters, including VRS terps, are bound by their ethics to keep their work private. It doesn't matter the religion of any of the parties--they should all have an expectation of privacy. It's not just Mormon terps who would maintain privacy.

I agree that regular VRS will keep it private and it's the law. I call my local church leader through Sorenson or ZVRS VRS with no problem. They respect my privacy.

So should we require a separate VRS for every religion, occupation, ethnicity, etc., that might use a specialized vocabulary?

Good questions! :shrug: It'll cost too much to cover each cost of individual services.

I think not.

:lol:

Catty

I don't see what's so funny. It's a legitimate question to ask whether or not it's a tax-supported service, and whether or not it's a service provided to only Mormons.

Why don't you Email them and ask questions! It won't hurt you!!

Catty

Why don't you Email them and ask questions! It won't hurt you!!

Catty
Why doesn't the website include an FAQ page where they clearly inform the public so we don't have to email questions to them?

good question! We all should be aware of how the VRS company we pick to make the calls is being paid. Are they contracted out to the certified VRS companies or are they certified by FCC to take payments directly ? While it "shouldn't" affect the way we make the calls, but we are the customers and we should be able to have right where to spend the money since we are using thier services.

Maybe they need a way for RLDS to make calls without fear of discrimination. (you know, the old mormon way that still exists):roll:

good question! We all should be aware of how the VRS company we pick to make the calls is being paid. Are they contracted out to the certified VRS companies or are they certified by FCC to take payments directly ? While it "shouldn't" affect the way we make the calls, but we are the customers and we should be able to have right where to spend the money since we are using thier services.

Maybe they need a way for RLDS to make calls without fear of discrimination. (you know, the old mormon way that still exists):roll:
It works both ways.

Terps should interpret the message accurately regardless of whether or not they "agree" with the message. That is, I hope the LDS VRS service terps interpret faithfully for the non-Mormon or even anti-Mormon callers. If they do, that's fine.

Since terps don't ask the callers what religion they are, that should be no problem.

Catty

Heh... I am not try flame out from this.. just got news from my friend and was like what a church vrs? It just interesting and my friend that lsdvrs.com is also other one is IWRELAY.com use same service but different way? I mean, like lsdvrs.com get paid from church or FCC? Iwrelay.com get paid from FCC? It just interesting....:hmm:

Heh... I am not try flame out from this.. just got news from my friend and was like what a church vrs? It just interesting and my friend that lsdvrs.com is also other one is IWRELAY.com use same service but different way? I mean, like lsdvrs.com get paid from church or FCC? Iwrelay.com get paid from FCC? It just interesting....:hmm:
I emailed them, so I'll wait for their reply.

I dont think anyone is flaming anyone- but interesting concept.:cool2: keep us posted reba... :P

I was hoping they would give you a better reply than that. I am a member of the LDS church and the only thing I can think of is that we have a list over 300 signs that are unique to the church. Words such as "ward" and "stake" and many others. For example the sign for LDS "temple" is different than Jewish "temple". An LDS ASL dictionary is available for sale on lds.org

Other than that, I would assume they function like most other VRS companies.

Isn't LDSVRS.TV just a domain name that will connect you to a VRS Relay I suspect Sprint VRS relay to call Moron Church Dept that specialized dealing with Deaf Culture directly?

If I recalled correctly Southwest Airline is doing this too using a domain name to make it easy dialing for Deaf people to connect to Sprint relay service that will connect directly to Southwest Airline customer service without having to go thur a series of recordings.

So they don't have to disclose thier actual direct phone number and keep hearing people from using it.

I think I recall Sprint Relay VRS is offering busniess a direct call number using domain name as their dialing number.

So Deaf people have the benfit of calling busniess and get a live rep without going a thousand of steps in recording menu to get a live rep.

Isn't LDSVRS.TV just a domain name that will connect you to a VRS Relay I suspect Sprint VRS relay to call Moron Church Dept that specialized dealing with Deaf Culture directly?

If I recalled correctly Southwest Airline is doing this too using a domain name to make it easy dialing for Deaf people to connect to Sprint relay service that will connect directly to Southwest Airline customer service without having to go thur a series of recordings.

So they don't have to disclose thier actual direct phone number and keep hearing people from using it.

I think I recall Sprint Relay VRS is offering busniess a direct call number using domain name as their dialing number.

So Deaf people have the benfit of calling busniess and get a live rep without going a thousand of steps in recording menu to get a live rep.

No, it not similar as that direct number... it same as IWRELAY.com and LDSVRS.com both are same service...

you can look at that address whois and it will appear Jeff as domain name and course those people are LDS. Due their sign different for example 'bless' and 'temple' and all other... yes to avoid misunderstanding and easier to communicate that what VRS is for...

Back