CART, Captioners and Court Reporters

Sweetpolly

Reaction score
Not sure if I started this in correct forumn but I did anyways.. Ok, does anyone know personally of CART, Captioners and or Court reporters and how they enjoy their job?
My son is almost 21 and can type like 80 wpm and a few years ago thought about this field and now he is getting information and lookign more into it, so he can go a school for it.
Anyone know of good schools, certification etc. needed...any feedback would help him tremendously! :ty:

Mod Note: Thread moved to proper place.

Anyways, I don't really know. You're probably better off asking a local interpreter support office... like at college or something.

CART/captioning might be good for your son, or it might not. He has demonstrated the manual dexterity for the task, but captioning is not typed on a regular keyboard. I believe most court reporters type at 200+ wpm on a keyboard that uses syllables rather than letters. If he went to school for it, he might do great because we already know his fingers can move fast! And while he was in school he could work for a relay company - they use regular keyboards and I think the average they look for is 50 wpm, so he'd be a star!

CART is a court reporter..... Basically they type in shorthand and the word comes out on paper or a screen.. CART reporters have to be certified and bonded almost like a sign language interpreter.. I will say, sign language interpreters are freaking out over CART reporters taking some of their business away.. TOO BAD.. sign language interperting schools and agencies and themselves have pushed away other people to come into the field. And that is so wrong !!! So, I welcome the CART intepreters to help us people with a hearing loss to get timely access to places and services in a timely manner ..

CART is a court reporter..... Basically they type in shorthand and the word comes out on paper or a screen.. CART reporters have to be certified and bonded almost like a sign language interpreter.. I will say, sign language interpreters are freaking out over CART reporters taking some of their business away.. TOO BAD.. sign language interperting schools and agencies and themselves have pushed away other people to come into the field. And that is so wrong !!! So, I welcome the CART intepreters to help us people with a hearing loss to get timely access to places and services in a timely manner ..
Whoa, you're getting kind of aggressive there. Who said anything about being an interpreter? This thread isn't about sign language, it's about court reporting and typing speed. :ty:

Charming.

ANYWAY, to the OP's question, I believe CART is based off the sounds of the words whereas Typewell is based on spelling. If he's that good of a typist then Typewell might be something to look into. I did this while I was in my ITP and I just loved it. In fact now that I am not interpreting I might look into doing it again part-time as a teacher's salary ain't much...

And CART is not appropriate in all situations. Terps are still necessary when 2 way communication is desired. But that is beside the point.

A CART transcriber is not a court reporter. Simply having the same skills does not mean that a CART transcriber is a court reporter or that a court reporter is a CART transcriber. One transcribes to faccilate access to information. The other documents for historical record.

Attitudes like this also serve to keep potential interpreters out of the field. And sign language interpreters are NOT freaking out because of CART. CART and interpreters serve two different populations, largely.

Attitudes like this also serve to keep potential interpreters out of the field. And sign language interpreters are NOT freaking out because of CART. CART and interpreters serve two different populations, largely.
Indeed, I don't feel threatened by CART at all. I'm more worried about that prototype glove that translates fingerspelling than I am about CART. And let me tell you, I'm not worried about that glove in the slightest.

I'm a CART provider in New York City. I went to a court reporting school and graduated when I reached 225 words per minute on the steno keyboard. It took about a year and a half to get up to speed, but the whole time I was in school and for at least six months afterward I had to work intensely on my realtime dictionary to make sure that the steno I wrote displayed correctly on the screen. Some court reporters can write perfectly in steno code and be able to read it themselves without any problem, but their output might be completely incomprehensible to someone who isn't familiar with steno. CART strives to provide 100% readable English all the time. It's an extremely challenging field. Being a good typist on the qwerty keyboard helps, but it's not everything. Your son would also have to know a lot about the English language, technology, and Deaf Culture before he could consider himself a competent CART provider. I love my job like crazy, but it took a lot of work to get here. Definitely worth it, though.

I'm a CART provider in New York City. I went to a court reporting school and graduated when I reached 225 words per minute on the steno keyboard. It took about a year and a half to get up to speed, but the whole time I was in school and for at least six months afterward I had to work intensely on my realtime dictionary to make sure that the steno I wrote displayed correctly on the screen. Some court reporters can write perfectly in steno code and be able to read it themselves without any problem, but their output might be completely incomprehensible to someone who isn't familiar with steno. CART strives to provide 100% readable English all the time. It's an extremely challenging field. Being a good typist on the qwerty keyboard helps, but it's not everything. Your son would also have to know a lot about the English language, technology, and Deaf Culture before he could consider himself a competent CART provider. I love my job like crazy, but it took a lot of work to get here. Definitely worth it, though.

that's awesome. CART service helped me a great deal at schools. Now.... I soon will be needing CART service for my job for conference meeting.

Hello!

I am currently a student at the Court Reporting Institute of Dallas in Texas. All CART writers started where I am now. I eventually want to become a CART writer. That is my ultimate goal. I know it will be hard but I'm willing to do it. I recently switched from PT student to FT student. Which means I now work PT at the local craft store. There is a customer that comes in often and is deaf. She signs to me, but I only understand her through gestures and facial expressions.

Seeing her so often has made decide to learn ASL. If I'm going to be a CART writer, I want to be able to communicate with the student one on one. Without having to use the machine and software. I can get that personal trust and maybe understand better how they prefer the writing to be. If that makes any sense.
Well it makes sense in my head of course. :giggle:
Plus, if I ever see any of the students around town, how am I going to communicate with them and have casual conversation? All I'd say is hi. When I really want to say more but don't have my machine.

That's why I found this site today. To learn, to understand as much as a hearing person can, and to see what areas CART and CC need to be. Of course in all areas, nooks and crannies. :P

I'm going to tell my husband about the CC for movie theaters. We met when we worked at the movie theater. If we ever have enough money...he might try to open his own theater. I'm going suggest it be an all CC theater. With me as the writer! We'll see how that pans out. But he really does want to open one and wants it to be unique in a way no other theater is.

Any way, I put in my two cents of nonsense.

Back to the original question, court reporting school is where you need to be to get to CART. It's a very difficult field. One must be willing to put entire body and mind into it. There is no summer vacation. We have to be on the machine every single day. The drop out rate is massive. The length of time in school varies. If you can shut your brain off and write you can get done fulltime in about two years. If you are a thinker, me, it will take longer. But it can happen. I've met reporters that took years to finish school. I've met students who have been in school with me for years. So if he really wants to do it, he must be disciplined and ready to fail a few times.

Ahh, okay I've written too much.

Anastasia

Hello!

I am currently a student at the Court Reporting Institute of Dallas in Texas. All CART writers started where I am now. I eventually want to become a CART writer. That is my ultimate goal. I know it will be hard but I'm willing to do it. I recently switched from PT student to FT student. Which means I now work PT at the local craft store. There is a customer that comes in often and is deaf. She signs to me, but I only understand her through gestures and facial expressions.

Seeing her so often has made decide to learn ASL. If I'm going to be a CART writer, I want to be able to communicate with the student one on one. Without having to use the machine and software. I can get that personal trust and maybe understand better how they prefer the writing to be. If that makes any sense.
Well it makes sense in my head of course. :giggle:
Plus, if I ever see any of the students around town, how am I going to communicate with them and have casual conversation? All I'd say is hi. When I really want to say more but don't have my machine.

That's why I found this site today. To learn, to understand as much as a hearing person can, and to see what areas CART and CC need to be. Of course in all areas, nooks and crannies. :P

I'm going to tell my husband about the CC for movie theaters. We met when we worked at the movie theater. If we ever have enough money...he might try to open his own theater. I'm going suggest it be an all CC theater. With me as the writer! We'll see how that pans out. But he really does want to open one and wants it to be unique in a way no other theater is.

Any way, I put in my two cents of nonsense.

Back to the original question, court reporting school is where you need to be to get to CART. It's a very difficult field. One must be willing to put entire body and mind into it. There is no summer vacation. We have to be on the machine every single day. The drop out rate is massive. The length of time in school varies. If you can shut your brain off and write you can get done fulltime in about two years. If you are a thinker, me, it will take longer. But it can happen. I've met reporters that took years to finish school. I've met students who have been in school with me for years. So if he really wants to do it, he must be disciplined and ready to fail a few times.

Ahh, okay I've written too much.

Anastasia

You have not written too much. Welcome to AD. I wish you luck in your education and for your husband in gaining his goal. That would be awesome if your husband can find a way to make everybody happy with is movie theater. Good luck with your and your husband future.

CART is very useful in many two way conversations . Especially when a certified interpreter cannot be found quick enough. ( Esp on Fridays thru Mondays) . Peope with a hearing loss have many communication methods to use in this wonderful technolgy world . I have even used my sidekick as a last minute tool, one types and I type, back and forth. That is why I encourage everyone and anyone to learn the written english. When all else fails, there is the time tested, paper and pencil method. ( Reminds me of the ole days of deafies always having a paper and pencil in their pockets )

CART/captioning might be good for your son, or it might not. He has demonstrated the manual dexterity for the task, but captioning is not typed on a regular keyboard. I believe most court reporters type at 200+ wpm on a keyboard that uses syllables rather than letters. If he went to school for it, he might do great because we already know his fingers can move fast! And while he was in school he could work for a relay company - they use regular keyboards and I think the average they look for is 50 wpm, so he'd be a star!

Hi, I type 85-95 wpm and I am very interested in working for a relay company, but I don't know how to go about it. I checked the job listings online for Sprint IP Relay and I didn't see anything. Does anyone know how I find job listings for relay workers? Thanks!

Hi, I type 85-95 wpm and I am very interested in working for a relay company, but I don't know how to go about it. I checked the job listings online for Sprint IP Relay and I didn't see anything. Does anyone know how I find job listings for relay workers? Thanks!
I don't know about Sprint, but i711 (GoAmerica) has a jobs page here:
GoAmerica Communications

And Sorenson (SIPRelay) has one here:
Sorenson Communications - Connecting You

This is interesting, though:
No. 10 B.S. Job - Relay Services Operator » deafbiz.com

I work as a C-Print captionist at a couple of local colleges. It doesn't take as long to complete the training and it is all done online at your own pace. With a decent typing speed, 80 is plenty more than most look for, and a good grasp of English grammar a person can do well. There was a link to the website providing the training a few posts above... the software is not too expensive and with a pair of laptops one could easily freelance.

As for interpreters feeling threatened by captionists I do not believe this to be true. I work out of the same office as interpreters and know several who also caption. The clientele is vastly different, about 80 percent of the students we work with do not sign or know very little. So they could not utilize the interpreter's service in the first place.

Keritsubo, wow so are the students oral ? What kind of schools are they in ?

Just curiious

smile

Back