Do you guys embrace your hearing loss/deafness?!

Hannah louise

Reaction score
Are you guys happy to show people your hearing aids, or cochlear or not? Do you mind tying up your hair to reveal your HA or CI? Do have coloured hearing aids etc? Do you like having a hearing loss? Does it make you feel unique? Etc.
C'mon guys, inspire me!:)

Me and my deafness are best buddies. We've been together since birth! ;) :h5:

I wear hearing aids. I did get some blue ear molds earlier, but they hurt my ears, so I went back to my regular ear molds.

Me and my deafness are best buddies. We've been together since birth! ;) :h5:

I wear hearing aids. I did get some blue ear molds earlier, but they hurt my ears, so I went back to my regular ear molds.

I can't say I feel the same way, I was born HOH and got me into a lot trouble with my not very understanding dad!

i dont bother to show people my hearing aid. i wear it for myself not anyone. i am more comfortable to sign in front of strangers to make them aware that ASL do exists and cant be ignored. :)

I wear my hearing aids but dont show them off. However, I show off the fact that I am an ASL user.

At work, everyone know I'm deaf, My HA exposed every easily. Very few of my employees know one of their favorite sign language that I use. When employee or people started to whine or complained about something and I immediately signed "turning off my hearing aids" using fist with a twisting motion next to my ear. They all silently laughed and the person who whined have no idea what's all about.
So those employees wished they have hearing aids and trying mimic my sign.. I told them "you failed" cuz you are hearing!

Deaf Power.

deaf+power.gif

Well everyone knows that I am late deaf.
How many know that I am no less deaf and proudly deaf?
That's me!

Embrace? Embrace is a.., STRONG, word...

It doesn't bother me and I'm not self conscious of it, but if I could do without it I would. I guess, I've come to realize how it affects my life and I think it is a life long experience coming to grips with it.

I have been so happy being deaf before I went to mainstream schools and never thought about being ashamed of showing my hearing aid. I like my deafness and proud of it. I don't understand why hearing people don't accept me as a deaf person. They are trying to get me to hear like them. :ugh: That is what make me angry and not want to be with hearing people. That is why I would rather be in the Deaf Community where I am comfortable and contented. :D

Are you guys happy to show people your hearing aids, or cochlear or not? Do you mind tying up your hair to reveal your HA or CI? Do have coloured hearing aids etc? Do you like having a hearing loss? Does it make you feel unique? Etc.
C'mon guys, inspire me!:)

here's my deaf pride -

"I'm dddddddeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaafffffff. You cool with it???"

I'm a confident deaf man. If kids ask whats that in your ear.. I just tell them I'm a robot, they just laugh and say cool! then resume playing.

I'm a confident deaf man. If kids ask whats that in your ear.. I just tell them I'm a robot, they just laugh and say cool! then resume playing.

Oh, I tell people it is a satellite CIA ear bud.....and I've been sent to watch them. :)

Was HOH, now deafer than deaf. Ah me!! Personally, I do not want to go back to having any hearing at all. No HA's, no CI, nothing. I like the way my hearing, or lack of, is for me. Other's that I associate with are not happy with it, but hey, it's my body and it's my business.

I'm fine with my deafness. In the summer I wear my hair pulled back into a ponytail sometimes, so that shows off my HAs more so than in fall and winter, when my hair usually covers them. I'm not embarassed about them; they are what they are.

I'm happy to talk about them, especially with anyone else who is considering aids. Or I'm happy to forget they are there. Either way, depending on what's happening.

Do I *like* having a hearing loss? Generally no, but sometimes yes, like when I don't have to listen to my husband's snoring! Or when neighbor kids are out yelling and shouting, I can turn the aids down and not put up with a lot of that.

Feel unique? Not really; I see a lot of people wearing hearing aids and some using CIs. I'm just one of the crowd, pretty much.

Like Vacation Guy, I think it's probably a life-long experience coming to grips with it. Just keeping up with the technology is a continuous thing, as new devices can be adapted for HoH applications, new HA technology keeps improving, etc. And I keep learning new ways of how to handle situations, be it asking for a corner seat in a restaurant or whatever it might be.

I'm getting my HAs on the 27th!! Yeah I'll be showing off my ear candy once they are fitted. This is going to be interesting to see how the technology has improved since the last time I wore HAs.

Back