Dlink's Shareport for DIR-655 and DIR-625

purplecatty

Reaction score
Some of you may not know why there's a USB jack on back of the D-Link's Extreme N router, DIR-655 and DIR-625.

It's for plugging in USB Memory stick for networked backup storage or USB Printer (can be standard USB printer or Mulifunction type)

You may have to download Shareport Utility from Dlink site. The instruction may say it's in CDrom and it's not in actual CD. I think I have old version CDrom anyway.

Shareport Utility only work only just one PC but you can network it from your PC so can share with any Laptop or other PC.

I got it figured out. After I plugged HP PSC 2175 USB Multifunction printer (it's old tho) and Shareport did detect USB device (did detect as HP PSC 2175 Multifunction) and tried to install driver on my Laptop (was on wireless) but didn't find right driver. I found out on website that you must use Printer's CDrom to install driver and Program in PC/Laptop order to get it working.

Shareport program act like "virtual" USB and it "fools" Windows OS into thinking it's actually plugged into physical USB port while it's plugged on back of DLink Router's USB port.

It was better than requiring "Dedicated" PC to run 24/7 just as a Printserver. This made things so much easier for me to shut down PC to conserve power and parts.

You can configure Shareport's setting if you want automatically connects to USB printer while powering up. Or Manually connect to USB printer by Shareport's USB disconnect/connect icon.

Reminder: Those who have Dlink DIR 655 or 625 that you bought 1 1/2 years ago must have Firmware updated to current in order to enable Router's USB port.

Is that simple?

Catty :cool:

Some of you may not know why there's a USB jack on back of the D-Link's Extreme N router, DIR-655 and DIR-625.

It's for plugging in USB Memory stick for networked backup storage or USB Printer (can be standard USB printer or Mulifunction type)

You may have to download Shareport Utility from Dlink site. The instruction may say it's in CDrom and it's not in actual CD. I think I have old version CDrom anyway.

Shareport Utility only work only just one PC but you can network it from your PC so can share with any Laptop or other PC.

I got it figured out. After I plugged HP PSC 2175 USB Multifunction printer (it's old tho) and Shareport did detect USB device (did detect as HP PSC 2175 Multifunction) and tried to install driver on my Laptop (was on wireless) but didn't find right driver. I found out on website that you must use Printer's CDrom to install driver and Program in PC/Laptop order to get it working.

Shareport program act like "virtual" USB and it "fools" Windows OS into thinking it's actually plugged into physical USB port while it's plugged on back of DLink Router's USB port.

It was better than requiring "Dedicated" PC to run 24/7 just as a Printserver. This made things so much easier for me to shut down PC to conserve power and parts.

You can configure Shareport's setting if you want automatically connects to USB printer while powering up. Or Manually connect to USB printer by Shareport's USB disconnect/connect icon.

Reminder: Those who have Dlink DIR 655 or 625 that you bought 1 1/2 years ago must have Firmware updated to current in order to enable Router's USB port.

Is that simple?

Catty :cool:

I remember I had the SMC router with LTP for printer and great for network computers and save money from power. It was happen in nine years ago. We use Windows 2000 that time. Problem, I had to turn printer on first then walk to other room to print out. Almost it look like that.
238915690-2152453-500_500.jpg

Right now we own the laser printer with built-in network and we just simple click "print" then printer wake up from sleep mode. It will auto shut down after 10 minutes. Save our time and save money from bill.

Laser printer is last longer and cheaper toner than Ink printer.

I remember I had the SMC router with LTP for printer and great for network computers and save money from power. It was happen in nine years ago. We use Windows 2000 that time. Problem, I had to turn printer on first then walk to other room to print out. Almost it look like that.
238915690-2152453-500_500.jpg

Right now we own the laser printer with built-in network and we just simple click "print" then printer wake up from sleep mode. It will auto shut down after 10 minutes. Save our time and save money from bill.

Laser printer is last longer and cheaper toner than Ink printer.

Yeah, I remember that and that router with Parallel port was ancient. I saw some of them still selling in Ebay.

I agree that Laser printer cartridge last longer than Ink Jet. They're expensive but goes long way.

Catty

Back