Obese Baby Put on Fruit and Veggie Diet

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A 44-pound baby has been put on a special diet to slim his chubby frame.
The 8-month-old Colombian boy named Santiago weighs 44 pounds — more than double the median weight for a baby his age according to growth charts from the American Academy of Pediatrics, according to the Associated Press.
Folds of fat were hindering Santiago’s ability to move — prompting his mother Eunice Fandino, to seek medical help.

“I’m worried about his obesity,” Fandino said in an interview with RCN Television. “I don’t want him to continue like this so, God willing, the treatment they’re going to give him for his heart will work to reduce his weight.”
The type of treatment Santiago will receive for his heart is unclear, but doctors are trying to get him down to 17 pounds by weaning him off formula and adding more fruit and veggies to his diet, the AP reported.

ABC_obese_baby_kab_140319_16x9_608.jpg

Obese Baby Put on Fruit and Veggie Diet - ABC News

Why did she wait this long? It would have been better to prevent this overweight than to reduce it, especially for a baby. I hope the baby was also checked out for all possible underlying causes.

Whoa, wow....poor baby...
I wondered about underlying causes too. Seems likely <though not impossible> that such severity would have to be a combination of factors.
It mentions something about his heart there-

Probably eating disorder which the baby have no control to stop from eating too much of his food. I think he just grabbed whatever he see like in the refrigerator or someone who was spoiling him with foods. I don't know. I am just guessing. That is a lot for 44 pounds of weight for a baby. Wow. :(

I can't believe the doctor did take that bracelet of the baby wrist , it looks like is the fat is grown over it.

At his age he cannot walk, so this was done to him through medical issue or over feeding. I am lost how it can get that bad but on the same not all formula is created equally. Who knows what the little guy was fed.

According to a CBS article, "According to the Chubby Hearts foundation, [charity boy's mom sought for help] there's no medical reason for the child's astounding weight gain - he's just been overfed with constant bottles of formula. "He is a compulsive eater," said Dr. Salvador Palacio, the foundation's director."

8-month-old "compulsive eater" weighs more than 44 pounds - CBS News

Probably eating disorder which the baby have no control to stop from eating too much of his food. I think he just grabbed whatever he see like in the refrigerator or someone who was spoiling him with foods. I don't know. I am just guessing. That is a lot for 44 pounds of weight for a baby. Wow. :(
He can't walk much less open a refrigerator or prepare his own food. Whatever he's been eating has come from his family serving it to him.

He can't walk much less open a refrigerator or prepare his own food. Whatever he's been eating has come from his family serving it to him.

Maybe the baby was stealing the cat food too . He is huge .

While I understand getting the boys weight in check. The body needs more than fruit and veggies to develope; and this is a critical time of development for the boy.

Sent from my iPad using AllDeaf

And what his mother needs is an education before she has another child. The woman is clueless. You don't give food to a child every time they cry. The problem isn't the child in this case, it's really his uneducated parents.

Laura

Hopefully the baby will lose some of the weight and start walking to help lose more weight.

It does not say how much the baby weight when he was born.
I read about one case where an obese boy was taken away from the mother. It was called an abused case . I can't recall how it ended.

Obese Third Grader Taken From Mom, Placed in Foster Care - ABC News

I found a link but I am not sure if the same story I saw on TV.

I could see what the comments on the article, remembering about the young girl who had to go through surgery for Apnea and breathing problem and now we have another girl (a white girl with blue top) going through surgery. So there must be a medical term for someone like them and the baby who just grow fat for no reason. It is not the parents at all. Both the doctors and their parents are dumbfounded and not know what to do with this condition. I remembered seeing a boy in Africa who has both of his legs swollen like a giant black sausages (his upper body is average or thin). Only thing that I could see is his tiny toes. He died at 10 years old and I think he died in 2012. Every one is different when something out of the ordinary become a freak. That is sad. :(

EDIT: It is like we are living in an Alien World, so totally different. Wow. :shock:

Back