Blue Tooth question for CI's & HA's.

Condor1970

Reaction score
Ok, this is kind of an odd question, because it always seemed to be on the back burner for me, since I'm more concerned with my daughter getting the treatment she needs to begin with, but here goes.

She will be getting a Nucleus 6 implant soon. Most likely in the new year. Hopefully sooner. Anyway, the Nucleus 6 has a direct blue tooth capability that previous models did not have (pending FDA approval). My daughter will also be getting a hearing aid for her other ear.

My question is.... which hearing aid has blue tooth directly compatible with the Nucleus 6 cochlear implant to pair with it? ..... That way she can use a microphone for her teacher at school, and be able to hear with both ears, instead of just one.

Also, for music. I know they make blue tooth iphone apps for HA's and CI's, but is there an "Android" app available for this?

Do the manufacturers not know that iphones only encompass 20% of the cell phone industry? The rest is all Android or Windows 8. Why are there no apps listed for use with HA's or the Nucleus 6 CI's on there websites or advertising? Am I missing something here? Is the iphone app universal for Androids too? Will it synch, so you can use these apps for both HA's and CI's?

I just got 2 nucleus 6s. I desperately want to find a bluetooth attachment. What is tje phone clip+? Does it work with the nucleus cochlear brand. I asked my audi at mass eye and ear and he said there aren't any bluetooth attachments for our nucleuses 6. There used to be for the old nucleus 5 but it was 900$. Pleaseexplain in detail how we can use it.

Im even trying to invent my own but parts are extremely bulky.

I just got 2 nucleus 6s. I desperately want to find a bluetooth attachment. What is tje phone clip+? Does it work with the nucleus cochlear brand. I asked my audi at mass eye and ear and he said there aren't any bluetooth attachments for our nucleuses 6. There used to be for the old nucleus 5 but it was 900$. Pleaseexplain in detail how we can use it.

Im even trying to invent my own but parts are extremely bulky.

Dan, I think you are confusing Bluetooth with FM. There was never a Bluetooth attachment for the N5 and attachments aren't involved when it comes to Bluetooth.

Currently, the N6 does not have the wireless capability enabled. You will need a software update to enable the wireless functionality. The software update has been pushed back to February 2015.

The PhoneClip+ is one of the devices you will be able to use with your N6 once the software update has been rolled out. It is a Bluetooth device that lets you pair it with any device that also uses Bluetooth, but is geared for cell phones.

This page details the devices that will work with the N6 once you have the software update: http://www.resound.com/products/wireless-accessories
Cochlear will release the exact same accessories with Cochlear branding on it, but whether you procure these devices from Cochlear or Resound, they will work.

In the meantime, sit tight.

Starkey also has some new direct link blue tooth HA's.

Will these also work and pair with blue tooth used in N6?

What I get concerned with, is possible lag between the two different types of devices which could cause them to be audibly out of synch with each other, since one is a cochlear processor, and the other a hearing aid.

Starkey also has some new direct link blue tooth HA's.

Will these also work and pair with blue tooth used in N6?

What I get concerned with, is possible lag between the two different types of devices which could cause them to be audibly out of synch with each other, since one is a cochlear processor, and the other a hearing aid.

No. Cochlear is licensing Resound's wireless system. There is no actual Bluetooth within the N6. You must use the Phone Clip+ for Bluetooth connectivity. Direct link between the N6 and Unite TV streamer is possible, Bluetooth is not involved with that connection.

No other hearing aid can be used with the N6 wireless system. Only the Resound HAs listed on the page I provided above will work.

Thank you for clearing that up. I cant wait for these options. Itll make talkimg on tje phone much easier. I keep geting tangled up in tje cord now.

No. Cochlear is licensing Resound's wireless system. There is no actual Bluetooth within the N6. You must use the Phone Clip+ for Bluetooth connectivity. Direct link between the N6 and Unite TV streamer is possible, Bluetooth is not involved with that connection.

No other hearing aid can be used with the N6 wireless system. Only the Resound HAs listed on the page I provided above will work.

Ok, so the transmission from the TV transmitter and the Unite microphone are probably proprietary FM then?

If that's the case, then can I use the Unite microphone with the Linx HA, and N6 CI together, without needing an extra item clipped to her shirt when using it?

I ask this, because she desperately needs better hearing in class, and she wants to be able to hear the TV better, etc.

Does listening to music with her cell phone still require the little ear bud wires, instead of a direct Bluetooth connection? Do those wires both hook up to the Linx HA, and the N6 CI? Or, can she use the little shirt clip accessory to replace the wires?

Right now she has NOTHING, other than a loaner HA from the Audiologist.

We are waiting for the insurance company to review her case to cover the implant. We are wanting to get her the N6 processor if possible, because it is the best quality sounding processor available through the Cochlear brand. Once we figure out how the implant is getting paid for, then we want to get a Hearing Aid to pair with it that uses the same accessories.

Right now she has NOTHING, other than a loaner HA from the Audiologist.

We are waiting for the insurance company to review her case to cover the implant. We are wanting to get her the N6 processor if possible, because it is the best quality sounding processor available through the Cochlear brand. Once we figure out how the implant is getting paid for, then we want to get a Hearing Aid to pair with it that uses the same accessories.

I wasn't sure if a different implant was a possibility. I am just at the start of exploring if a CI is a possibility for me. I have found the Advanced Bionics CI and Phonak hearing aids share quite an number of accessories. In my case, I already have a Phonak aid and things like the ComPilot (a neckloop) that acts as a remote control and bluetooth connection to other things including a cell phone.

Ok, so the transmission from the TV transmitter and the Unite microphone are probably proprietary FM then?

If that's the case, then can I use the Unite microphone with the Linx HA, and N6 CI together, without needing an extra item clipped to her shirt when using it?

I ask this, because she desperately needs better hearing in class, and she wants to be able to hear the TV better, etc.

Does listening to music with her cell phone still require the little ear bud wires, instead of a direct Bluetooth connection? Do those wires both hook up to the Linx HA, and the N6 CI? Or, can she use the little shirt clip accessory to replace the wires?

The basic wireless communication involved here is the 2.4 Ghz band. Yes, you'd be able to use the Unite Microphone with the Linx and N6 without an extra item clipped to her shirt. I'm not sure that it would be considered appropriate within a classroom setting. They should provide an FM system for her to use that is compatible with her HA and Processor. The Unite Microphone would be for her own personal use everywhere else.

You would want the Unite TV Streamer 2 for TV viewing as opposed to the Mic.

As for cell phone use, you would need the Phone Clip+ to connect to the phone wirelessly using Bluetooth (the wireless connection between the processor and the Phone Clip+ is the 2.4 Ghz transmission. The Phone Clip+ is between the Phone and the Processor to connect them together. You would not need ear buds at all. The only thing I would add here is I have not read favorable reviews of this particular item online. No one knows how well it will work at this point with the N6. Something to consider when choosing between the N6 with the DAI port or no DAI port.

The Unite Microphone has a 3.5 mm jack, the same type used for headphones on Smartphones. You can plug devices in using a patch cable to have them transmit wirelessly to her ears.

Hope this helps!

Back