Being a flight attendant and being HoH

When I was hired at UPS thru EDD (Employment Development Department). EDD helped me interpret with the interview and things went well. At UPS, they did not provide interpreter for meetings or training or bothered to check up with how I am doing as a deaf employee. It took a class action lawsuit that other deaf employees in San Francisco that they were discriminated and not being able to become a driver, in the end the plaintiff won most of the cases. Interpreter was provided and captioning were provided in the training videos and TTY was provided (way before the videophones were out). It has become more easier when UPS is more accessible for me and other deaf employees.

Communications and safety is important for the deaf employees as well as everyone in a job. Deaf employees can understand better when they are trained with interpreters.

Even on my resume I list my number as text only due to my hearing impairment and YET I STILL get phone calls and then I get emails saying, "Hey I tried to call you but got no response!" :roll:

It is frustrating indeed that even if you do everything right on your part people will still disappoint you. And side note, good to hear you got out of DoD, if you were still there you'd probably on furlough! :eek3:

I can't count the times that I've reponded via email to a potential employer and received a message "you need to call." Then I miss them and they return the call when I'm in a meeting and we're doing phone tag. I will say this, it's not going to hurt to say "I'm hearing impaired and I don't have a good connection on my phone, could you please reply via email so I can get this in writing?" Fortunately, I can hear reasonably with my Bluetooth but sometimes I can't get it to go when I need it. I remember with my current job I was given the option of an interview over the phone or in person so I chose to do it in person for the obvious reason.

But with interviews, a second reason to meet with the employer in person is to see what the other employees look like. Are they stressed out, do they seem happy or relaxed? Does the work environment seem unnaturally quiet or crazy?

In federal interviews, the person you'll be working under is often at the interview as well - not always but often. Look for the one that's saying nothing. The highest ranking person will often do all the talking. How does the person that's quiet seem. Does he/she look smug? Like they don't want to be there? Do they seem friendly and interested in you, or like they lack a sense of humor?

Not all agencies are the same. The agency I worked for in Homeland Security was wonderful - I loved them. But another that I applied to, also in Homeland Security, gave me a very bad vibe. In the three years I worked in that building with them, I never saw people from that other agency smile. I got the feeling that the woman, who would have been my boss, didn't seem to want to be there, she seemed unfriendly and acted like the job was already given to someone else. It was literally over in 10 minutes if that and I'm glad I didn't get that job. When you research an employer, make sure that you always agree to an interview in person so you can see if they're lying about the "great place to work." A big tip off is if you can't see the other employees, like they're trying to hide them from you so you won't see what it's really like to work there.

One of the most frustating things I've found is you kill yourself to give a good interview and the final decision comes from the Office of Personnel Management....and they've never met you. I find it unfair. The people who interviewed should decide that but they can only recommend you for the position.

Keep at it though and don't stop trying. There are good people out there. The key is to heed the signs and avoid the potentially bad employers as much as possible. Having a disablity on the job isn't a deal breaker. If you present yourself well, people respond to that, so hang in...and absolutely check out the work forums. People will often tell you the truth in a forum where they can talk more freely, so learn as much as you can about a job or agency before you apply.

The part I bolded is true with every industry, no matter where anyone works. Customer service, criminal justice, education or ADA. A lot of people think that way. It doesn't matter where they work.

The fault is on the employer for not making sure they hire the correct people for the job. Sure, not everyone is perfect when hiring and people make mistakes. To me, don't the benefits of having employees who do their jobs correctly outweigh all of the problems? At least, sometimes?

Exactly but many of these companies are looking to save a buck or two. Id rather be working with someone willing to do their job and care for the customer. It doesn't matter if they are ADA or not we have a lot of bad apples. We need more people who are willing to really show they care for people.

Wirelessly posted

I get complimented all the time by my customers. I find many rude hearing people or Shall I say "non disabled" people that have no customer service skills and are very self centered. People in general do not always have customer service skills.

I agree. Many call center agents or customer service agents are jerks. With this economy call center managers have been hiring anyone for 8.25 or lower depending on the state and it shows. It's said because I've worked for an ADA call center in the past that deals with the federal ADA Contract for transporting disabled people. Problem is they'd hire people who even when talking to someone who is normal those people would consider them cruel. I'd always feel sorry for my ADA clients. Keep in mind they were ADA in the sense they were not blind or deaf but mentally handicapped what is not right.

Not all agencies are the same. The agency I worked for in Homeland Security was wonderful - I loved them. But another that I applied to, also in Homeland Security, gave me a very bad vibe. In the three years I worked in that building with them, I never saw people from that other agency smile. I got the feeling that the woman, who would have been my boss, didn't seem to want to be there, she seemed unfriendly and acted like the job was already given to someone else. It was literally over in 10 minutes if that and I'm glad I didn't get that job. When you research an employer, make sure that you always agree to an interview in person so you can see if they're lying about the "great place to work." A big tip off is if you can't see the other employees, like they're trying to hide them from you so you won't see what it's really like to work there.

Wondering why if you loved that job you are not still there?

I was with the same construction/real estate organization for my whole working life. The guy that started it and had a controling interest after incorporation really had a talent for picking people that could work together. At one point I got in a discussion with one of the guys and at that point we realized that the only people that had not been there 20 years or more were not old enough to have been or were union were construction crew that was called in from union halls as needed. We had several siblings and several generations from different families as well.

Wondering why if you loved that job you are not still there?

I absolutely loved the people I worked with but the job offered no further promotion to a higher pay scale. What's more, they favored coworkers with a military or law enforcement background, so I was the highest educated (M.Ed.), and the lowest paid. My coworkers that came after me were all paid more than me to start - with only a high school degree or a B.A., because they had four years in the Army or the Reserves...even though I also had more years of federal service than they did, combined.

By accepting a position with another federal office, I was finally able to get the promotion I wouldn't have had in my former job, and I have a chance to move up another notch, this time next year. To reach the goals you set for yourself, you need to move out of your comfort zone. I loved my former employers, but if they're not giving me opportunities to advance, I need to find someone that will.

I think it is important to think about the bigger picture when seeking a job. The workforce is mostly a teamwork kind of situation. Things like flight attendant jobs - if you watch they are in more communication with each other than they are with the paying customers. Any one who is successful at work with a big hearing deficit going on is going to be making up for it by a wide range of ways that mostly entail working a little harder than everyone else just to stay synced in with the action. Does not mean you have to look like you are working harder - it is all about blending in. Even if you are not and often have some kind of oops I misunderstood or missed that action behind me it is still the goal to blend in.
Learning social skills is for me an ongoing process no matter how old I am. The path of least resistance is not necessarily the path that is best.
People with a character that makes them not as socially smooth as others have to work harder at it or find a niche where they can just be alone and doing their job. Some jobs just suck no matter how hard you try. I personally am happy to choose moving on rather than sticking it out. It is not always an easy choice sometimes end up staying a way long more than planned but move on I will.

I know I couldn't. Not just the hearing issues, just being on a plane and the pressure makes me miserable!!!

So how things are going, Isadora?
Did you get your flight attendant job?

It is my dream job, too. But I have no idea, how to understand people, if I can't hear them...my lip reading is ok, but I can't demand from passengers to articulate well and watch on me.

It is my dream job, too.

Remember folks, it's not a high paying job and if something goes wrong with the plane, everyone goes down....

I'd opt to stay in an office setting myself...

Did Isadora replied?

Could the flight attendant job position is like the Deaf pilots requirements at
Deaf Pilot Frequently Asked Questions

BTW, it is illegal under the ADA to ask whether you are disabled. check EEOC Home Page that is why there is no affirmative action requirement int he ADA. BIG mistake.

Aircrafts and airlines are not under the ADA but under the Air Carriers Access Act.

If the airline want their flight attendants to be pretty, thin, not overweight, wearing high heels, use heavy make-up, and be bitchy, their is their pregorative

It is my dream job, too. But I have no idea, how to understand people, if I can't hear them...my lip reading is ok, but I can't demand from passengers to articulate well and watch on me.

BTW, it is illegal under the ADA to ask whether you are disabled.

The question about my disability has, on occasion, come up during interviews. No one ever called the cops about it...

I never applied for a position as a deaf flight assistant, but I am positively surprised that in the US they are making giant steps toward deaf and HoH opportunity of employment.

I am too old to train as a flight assistant, plus I get tired faster than normal hearing people, so I think that working in aviation would be terrible for me. However I am really glad that youngsters are given this opportunity to pursue their dream job!

Do you know as a flight attendant, you only get paid for the time the plane is in the air til it lands? You will help board the flights, give safety briefs, secure luggage...ect...
All that time stocking and cleaning you dont get paid, once the plane takes flight your paycheck is adding up, as you continue to work, once the wheels touch down, you are off the clock again and cleaning stocking supplies. Most flight attendants make 2 or 3 local flights (within the country) a day, usually 2 hour flights each. Or one long flight from one country to another, where they then go home or get a hotel to rest til the next flight leaves. I dated a girl who was a FA and they do not make much money at all, better working at Hooters or something.

Yes, I know they are underpaid for the skills they have to bring to their job (I have a friend who is a flight assistant for AA).
To me, it is not worth it, being it also very stressful on the body.

Yes, I know they are underpaid for the skills they have to bring to their job (I have a friend who is a flight assistant for AA).
To me, it is not worth it, being it also very stressful on the body.
Its a job for someone with no family/friends because you really have no life with the odd hours at any given time.

Back