ASL or other sign language users? Parenting question

Ellenrector

Reaction score
Hello,
I am not a native user of sign, however am writing a paper on Language acquisition of deaf children in families using sign. If you'd like to help me out, I would love any emailed responses on the following questions:
1. When your child was an infant/toddler, how did you modify your signs to best facilitate your relationship with your child and also his or her language development? So in short, how was your signing with your child different from your signing with adults or older children?
2. Do you have terms/signs of endearment you use with your children besides their name?

Thank you!!
Please email me at ellenrector@gmail.com

:hmm:

No... no I think that I will continue wasting my time eating my popcorn and staring blankly at the wall instead! :popcorn: :D

Hello,
I am not a native user of sign, however am writing a paper on Language acquisition of deaf children in families using sign. If you'd like to help me out, I would love any emailed responses on the following questions:
1. When your child was an infant/toddler, how did you modify your signs to best facilitate your relationship with your child and also his or her language development? So in short, how was your signing with your child different from your signing with adults or older children?
2. Do you have terms/signs of endearment you use with your children besides their name?

Thank you!!
Please email me at ellenrector@gmail.com

Adult/Child interactions in ASL follow the same patterns as any other fully formed living language. As such, a basic study of language acquisition should give you all the answers you need.

Do you have a deaf child? I'm deaf and have a hearing son. I taught him in baby sign and ASL since he was infant. He can say milk, more, mommy, daddy and bath. Then he learned more sign language when he was two years old. He can speaking with hearing people very well. His first language is English and second is ASL. He never have problem with stutter so far. He is very interlligent. Now he is 4 years old. He is still signing to me a lot.

Back