Deaf hate from relay operator

HisShadowX

Reaction score
http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18267

It's an old thread but still rings true. Had another bad rally call. It wasn't the customer that was being rude since I've had this client before and we typically have small talk and the person likes I know what they want when they call in. The relay operator got frustrated because we kept talking lol

Anyways I've had my share of crazy deaf customers as well like the ones calling in making every threat in the book. I was wondering in deaf schools is politeness taught? The grand majority of my deaf calls aren't the most friendly ones and like the OP in the link I've seen some crazy talk in deafforums about possibly forcing a hearing child into being deaf but for those who use relay services and use them with well intentions what do you think when you read that old post?

The Forum looked like a hearing forum. The relay operator should be doing his or her job, even if he or she roll their eyes over the conversations. Deaf people don't know what hearing world is like, anyway. What about hearing people who are obnoxious toward d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing people? We all have our bad days. We are human beings and the relay operators should respect us and bear with us. The hearing people especially relay operators have no idea what our Deaf world is like.

Yeah, they keep pushing us to wear hearing aids or CI. The hearing people can not imagine what it is like to have no sounds like no music.

Meh. :roll:

Do you realize what they are talking about?

If no,

then explain about this link

http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=120916&highlight=zvrs

The Forum looked like a hearing forum. The relay operator should be doing his or her job, even if he or she roll their eyes over the conversations. Deaf people don't know what hearing world is like, anyway. What about hearing people who are obnoxious toward d/Deaf and Hard Of Hearing people? We all have our bad days. We are human beings and the relay operators should respect us and bear with us. The hearing people especially relay operators have no idea what our Deaf world is like.

Yeah, they keep pushing us to wear hearing aids or CI. The hearing people can not imagine what it is like to have no sounds like no music.

sooooooooo true beb...maybe dropping his small talk be polite get facts out asap..
people can have off days some deaf can be obnoxious just like anyone else..relay operators should have respect do what required rolling eyes unacceptable

Lemme tell you a story how ridiculously Deaf people can demand.

I got a call from a Deaf customer, as soon as I answer that customer's call that person DEMAND us send somebody over their house to fix their equipment, blamed as defective equipment. Know what the problem was? That person claimed that their video is not working, meaning they can't see themselves on video but can see the other end no problem. Took me 30 minutes to calm that person down and tried to reason with that person. It was damn nasty and too demanding person that I had to deal with.

As soon as I asked that person to press "Self" button on remote control. That person REFUSED to do a damn thing, claimed it is our responsibility to fix for them. It was so UNREAL, and nope not happen once but many times with different Deaf customers with various simple issues anyway after 30 minutes I finally got that person press that "Self" button, VIOLA! video showed up. I then asked that person if they still want us send somebody over to help with buttons? That person got their face ROSE RED! Their response was soft "no".

Another example, one Deaf customer constantly complaining about poor video on 60" TV! Hello! Its called Pixelation, the bigger TV there is larger pixel which makes it noticeable fuzzy, mind you, that same customer said its crystal clear on mobile phone WHY? WHY can't 60" TV show crystal clear, you know it is the size of screen makes huge difference. I even suggested that customer to use smaller TV, that person REFUSED outright just because that person got free TV. OMFG! What lame excuse!

Their point is that Deaf people gets so so spoiled and expected that somebody needs to hold their hands just because they are Deaf. It is really sickening seeing so many Deaf people expect far more than realistic just because they are Deaf.

I have seen enough and it is truly embarrassed, and from time to time I talked with Deaf customers's ISP technician and often I understand the issue, but the demand on ISP technician was way out of line from Deaf customers.

I know not all Deaf people are like that, same with hearing people that often have unrealistic demand, just that Deaf is much more frequently noticeable than hearing world, MIND YOU, Deaf world is much smaller.

I am not sure what solution is, Often Deafies forgot that Relay service is for BOTH hearing and Deaf community, without Relay, there is nothing in between and Deaf would often end up get nothing.

This relay operator fails to understand that we are individuals, therefore we are not necessarily the same as those people he hates. In other words, not all deaf people are the same. That's stereotype.

because he rolled his eyes don't mean he got hate that strong word to use...off day with reprimand day

because he rolled his eyes don't mean he got hate that strong word to use...off day with reprimand day
Are you talking to me? If so, the relay operator said he hates deaf people. So what's your point?

Lemme tell you a story how ridiculously Deaf people can demand.

I got a call from a Deaf customer, as soon as I answer that customer's call that person DEMAND us send somebody over their house to fix their equipment, blamed as defective equipment. Know what the problem was? That person claimed that their video is not working, meaning they can't see themselves on video but can see the other end no problem. Took me 30 minutes to calm that person down and tried to reason with that person. It was damn nasty and too demanding person that I had to deal with.

As soon as I asked that person to press "Self" button on remote control. That person REFUSED to do a damn thing, claimed it is our responsibility to fix for them. It was so UNREAL, and nope not happen once but many times with different Deaf customers with various simple issues anyway after 30 minutes I finally got that person press that "Self" button, VIOLA! video showed up. I then asked that person if they still want us send somebody over to help with buttons? That person got their face ROSE RED! Their response was soft "no".

Another example, one Deaf customer constantly complaining about poor video on 60" TV! Hello! Its called Pixelation, the bigger TV there is larger pixel which makes it noticeable fuzzy, mind you, that same customer said its crystal clear on mobile phone WHY? WHY can't 60" TV show crystal clear, you know it is the size of screen makes huge difference. I even suggested that customer to use smaller TV, that person REFUSED outright just because that person got free TV. OMFG! What lame excuse!

Their point is that Deaf people gets so so spoiled and expected that somebody needs to hold their hands just because they are Deaf. It is really sickening seeing so many Deaf people expect far more than realistic just because they are Deaf.

I have seen enough and it is truly embarrassed, and from time to time I talked with Deaf customers's ISP technician and often I understand the issue, but the demand on ISP technician was way out of line from Deaf customers.

I know not all Deaf people are like that, same with hearing people that often have unrealistic demand, just that Deaf is much more frequently noticeable than hearing world, MIND YOU, Deaf world is much smaller.

I am not sure what solution is, Often Deafies forgot that Relay service is for BOTH hearing and Deaf community, without Relay, there is nothing in between and Deaf would often end up get nothing.
Blah, blah, blah! Boring story!

I guess you don't get it. Those deafies act that way because they are uneducated. Educated deaf people don't act that way. Unfortunately, there's a high percentage of uneducated deafies in the WORLD but I aint complaining about them like you do. Shame on you! Leave them alone!

Wow! Just wow!

Have you ever wondering why hearing people generally don't want to deal with Deaf? They don't want hear crybabies crying way too much. Its true! They looked down at Deaf people as NOTHING, but crybabies.

I know it is stereotyping, it is because they have seen way way too many times, heard stories too many times. Its just fact that is going on. Most Deafies are NOT aware of this, know why? Cause we all can't hear or understand the background sounds that have been talking all the time (Not just about Deaf but zatillions issues and topics)

The only thing I see Deafies far better than hearing is Visually, they are incredible capable of seeing things around, that is because they lost the ability to hear all kinds of sounds which ended up couldn't learn as much as Hearing people does.

What I learn is that in generally Hearing people believe in contributing and help each other as community, they are far more than willing to help Deafies but the reaction from Deafies often gave them negative remarks and they Hearing people tend to push Deafies away cause they are scared to help them.

You think yapping based on experiences meaning nothing? Your DEAD wrong! The more one has experience the more likely they seen much more than those who don't have experiences. Have you been in calling center? Especially in relay centers? If not, you won't have any clue! I have almost 6 years experience on daily basis seeing whats really going on. I wish I can bring evidence but because of the law concerning privacy, I can't bring out the evidences otherwise I will be in jail for doing so.

It is not about whether the operator is doing right or wrong, it is about what they have seen on regularly picture. Just like if you have seen something over and over again over period of time, and you become more noticed to them than those that don't happen often aka once a while.

Im trying to think of an example without offending anyone, man! When you work in calling center, you gotta to be damn careful how or what to say... Hmmm okay, I hope this example won't offend anyone.

You sit on a bench at the park everyday from 5pm to 7pm, almost never miss sitting on beach for 5 years You notice Orange people likes to ride bicycles all the times, and you also notice green people likes to ride tricycle all the time, but you notice some blue people like to either walk, ride bicycle or tricycles.
At the end, you would generally think of orange and green people first but don't think of blue people, that is because you notice them liking particular cycle more often and would automatically assume what these race likes and not like. Basically, it is how human mind works.

Bottom line, the harsh truth is we Deaf people actually missed way way too much of what Hearing people have for granted. There are so many things that you, and I as Deafies may not aware of whats going on.

Blah, blah, blah! Boring story!

I guess you don't get it. Those deafies act that way because they are uneducated. Educated deaf people don't act that way. Unfortunately, there's a high percentage of uneducated deafies in the WORLD but I aint complaining about them like you do. Shame on you! Leave them alone!

Lets put this way.

Did you know it is common for people viewing us Deaf as most rudest human being on this planet. IT is VERY true to them in general but the problem is, we have no idea whats rude to them and since we can't hear them talking about it we are still doing rude to them anyway.

I am not saying that Deaf people are stupid, what I am saying is that most Deaf people are UNAWARE of this and it is because they can't hear and unable to learn. We can't just blame entirely on hearing people for not educate us, its also our responsibility to learn to be nice just like everybody else. Don't you like rude people? We don't, right? The point is we can't deny that the fact is we were rude, but we can deny the fact that not every of us deaf are rude all the time.

I think somebody has been terribly affected by the loss of that one hour during last night. :lol:

I wouldn't believe this one. I had to share link from OP to my Facebook page. I'll be curious to know what my friends have to say.

What I found shocking was the lack of professionalism on the part of the call center employees blabbing about their deaf consumers. :nono:

Wow! Just wow!

Have you ever wondering why hearing people generally don't want to deal with Deaf? They don't want hear crybabies crying way too much. Its true! They looked down at Deaf people as NOTHING, but crybabies.

I know it is stereotyping, it is because they have seen way way too many times, heard stories too many times. Its just fact that is going on. Most Deafies are NOT aware of this, know why? Cause we all can't hear or understand the background sounds that have been talking all the time (Not just about Deaf but zatillions issues and topics)

The only thing I see Deafies far better than hearing is Visually, they are incredible capable of seeing things around, that is because they lost the ability to hear all kinds of sounds which ended up couldn't learn as much as Hearing people does.

What I learn is that in generally Hearing people believe in contributing and help each other as community, they are far more than willing to help Deafies but the reaction from Deafies often gave them negative remarks and they Hearing people tend to push Deafies away cause they are scared to help them.

You think yapping based on experiences meaning nothing? Your DEAD wrong! The more one has experience the more likely they seen much more than those who don't have experiences. Have you been in calling center? Especially in relay centers? If not, you won't have any clue! I have almost 6 years experience on daily basis seeing whats really going on. I wish I can bring evidence but because of the law concerning privacy, I can't bring out the evidences otherwise I will be in jail for doing so.

It is not about whether the operator is doing right or wrong, it is about what they have seen on regularly picture. Just like if you have seen something over and over again over period of time, and you become more noticed to them than those that don't happen often aka once a while.

Im trying to think of an example without offending anyone, man! When you work in calling center, you gotta to be damn careful how or what to say... Hmmm okay, I hope this example won't offend anyone.

You sit on a bench at the park everyday from 5pm to 7pm, almost never miss sitting on beach for 5 years You notice Orange people likes to ride bicycles all the times, and you also notice green people likes to ride tricycle all the time, but you notice some blue people like to either walk, ride bicycle or tricycles.
At the end, you would generally think of orange and green people first but don't think of blue people, that is because you notice them liking particular cycle more often and would automatically assume what these race likes and not like. Basically, it is how human mind works.

Bottom line, the harsh truth is we Deaf people actually missed way way too much of what Hearing people have for granted. There are so many things that you, and I as Deafies may not aware of whats going on.
I am AWARE of what's going on. I live in the deaf world so I see everything. Often uneducated deafies have miscommunication/misunderstanding. Hearing people get frustrated by them because they haven't taken a deaf culture class. Am I wrong?

My estranged wife hired a lawyer to sue her employer. Whatever he explained to her via an in-person interpreter, she got confused due to her low IQ, she asked him to explain again and again. That PISSED the lawyer OFF. He told her that he got tired of her so he sent his assistant to cover him. That's so RUDE. She can't help it. As a matter of fact, she's not the only one. There are millions like her who has hard times understanding what people say. Reba knows what I am talking about. That's one of the reasons why my son and daughter don't want to become an ASL interpreter. That's their choice.

My point is that this asshole who is (was) a relay operator talked shit about deaf people. That tells me that he knows no shit about the deaf culture. I wonder how the mofo got the job. Once you get that job, do your job. Off work, no need to bitch about them.

BTW, do you know that those uneducated deafies are very happy with VP/VRS? They hate TTY because their grammar/reading skill is very poor. How do I know? I asked them.

P.S. Reba pointed out about lack of professionalism. That's what I was trying to say. That asshole shouldn't have that job in the first place. If he's still there, that's a disappointment.

yes, you got it right, what I am saying is that often Deafies have unreasonable demand every time EVEN if they talk with other Deafies.

Yes, it can be confusing for Deafies and attitude means everything. If Deafies got rotten attitude, then the problems gets tenfold which often is not necessary. My point is sometimes I wish Deaf would just be more rationalize and try to give other chance to help them. I hate to say this, yes I love help Deaf people, just that there are numerous times that I get bite back real hard and bad, for what? I didn't raise them, I didn't teach them during their lifetime and I have not met them before yet I get bitten anyway. Just like the story I explained about remote control and that self button... It was so simple, and my ASL is too native for them cause I am DEAD DEAF too, why can't they start with asking for help and I could have explain to that person and it won't take more than 5 minutes BUT instead took me 30 minutes to get that person to try my simple instruction why waste extra 25 minutes? Oh just because of bad experience in past with others? Thats lame.

I, too have issues with legal, often I have to ask myself to get step backward and try to understand and ask for help rather than being too demanding. When I step myself back things started to work out well.

Yes, you are right Deafies loves VP/VRS that includes myself and sometimes we need to give credit when it is due, that is give thanks to VRS operators for their hard work and without them we are doomed to be left out. Having high expectation from them (Relay operators) is ok as long as respect is being returned and credit is given to them.

I am AWARE of what's going on. I live in the deaf world so I see everything. Often uneducated deafies have miscommunication/misunderstanding. Hearing people get frustrated by them because they haven't taken a deaf culture class. Am I wrong?

My estranged wife hired a lawyer to sue her employer. Whatever he explained to her via an in-person interpreter, she got confused due to her low IQ, she asked him to explain again and again. That PISSED the lawyer OFF. He told her that he got tired of her so he sent his assistant to cover him. That's so RUDE. She can't help it. As a matter of fact, she's not the only one. There are millions like her who has hard times understanding what people say. Reba knows what I am talking about. That's one of the reasons why my son and daughter don't want to become an ASL interpreter. That's their choice.

My point is that this asshole who is (was) a relay operator talked shit about deaf people. That tells me that he knows no shit about the deaf culture. I wonder how the mofo got the job. Once you get that job, do your job. Off work, no need to bitch about them.

BTW, do you know that those uneducated deafies are very happy with VP/VRS? They hate TTY because their grammar/reading skill is very poor. How do I know? I asked them.

P.S. Reba pointed out about lack of professionalism. That's what I was trying to say. That asshole shouldn't have that job in the first place. If he's still there, that's a disappointment.

Back