College interpreter

Shoshana

Reaction score
So ill be starting college (part time) in Fall, I already spoke to the college Disability Support Services a number of times. I am not happy with them. First few times I went they told me I will get all my services, and that a terp will not be a problem since they had them before for other Deaf students before me. The last time I went though he told he he wanted me to try to use FM system first--but my hearing is not good enought to get benifit from thr FM system and I know I need an interpreter.

I told him the FM will not work for me. He said "well this is college you need to be dependant on yourself and no one else, not an interpreter". I was shocked! I said "excuse me?" in disbelieve, then he went on saying "people with glasses would be better off using their real eyes and people with canes would be better not using a cane"...I told him that is not true if people need that assistance.

I left crying, I felt hurt and disrespected. I called dad and told him school might try to fight me for an interpreter. He reassured me that I will get interpreter or he will take to court. I do not think school is dumb enough to deny an interpreter because this is first year it is a four year college and dosent want bad publicity. I know they dont want to give me an interpreter because it cost a lot of money--more than my tuition and everything. But without an interpreter I will have no idea whats going on in class and would fail :(

I am going back the 28th to make sure everything is set up, They are requiring more autiograms and a letter from my doctor stating I need an interpreter.

I am still upset about what he said though...this is the head of disability support services...ironic.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Wow! Their attitude is awful. That would never be acceptable at my college. The students here always get a terp if they ask.

Wirelessly posted (BB Curve 9300)

Wow! Their attitude is awful. That would never be acceptable at my college. The students here always get a terp if they ask.

Reba, I know right? It still hurts me to think about what he said...maybe I am being too sensitive but I do not think that is right attitude for a disability support corrdinator!

Are they right to ask for a letter from my doctor saying need for an interpreter? I mean its pretty obvious looking at my autiogram how bad my hearing is.

So ill be starting college (part time) in Fall, I already spoke to the college Disability Support Services a number of times. I am not happy with them. First few times I went they told me I will get all my services, and that a terp will not be a problem since they had them before for other Deaf students before me. The last time I went though he told he he wanted me to try to use FM system first--but my hearing is not good enought to get benifit from thr FM system and I know I need an interpreter.

I told him the FM will not work for me. He said "well this is college you need to be dependant on yourself and no one else, not an interpreter". I was shocked! I said "excuse me?" in disbelieve, then he went on saying "people with glasses would be better off using their real eyes and people with canes would be better not using a cane"...I told him that is not true if people need that assistance.

I left crying, I felt hurt and disrespected. I called dad and told him school might try to fight me for an interpreter. He reassured me that I will get interpreter or he will take to court. I do not think school is dumb enough to deny an interpreter because this is first year it is a four year college and dosent want bad publicity. I know they dont want to give me an interpreter because it cost a lot of money--more than my tuition and everything. But without an interpreter I will have no idea whats going on in class and would fail :(

I am going back the 28th to make sure everything is set up, They are requiring more autiograms and a letter from my doctor stating I need an interpreter.

I am still upset about what he said though...this is the head of disability support services...ironic.

:jaw:

How dare he! You must report this incident immediately to college administration!

:jaw:

How dare he! You must report this incident immediately to college administration!

Jiro, I tryed calling (relay) and they told me there is no one above him regarding disability support so was unsure who else to talk to. :confused:

Jiro, I tryed calling (relay) and they told me there is no one above him regarding disability support so was unsure who else to talk to. :confused:

no no - you are not calling to talk about disability support. You are calling to make a complaint because of his unprofessional conduct.

Director of Disability Support Service has a boss but I don't know exactly who he answers to.

wow oh my god! sound attitute inappropriate behavior!

you are feeling upset because should be report to boss! tell to chief on administrator

It might be too late about it now...I will see how the next meeting goes and what he says. I will have to see what he has to say at the next meeting. Plus what would they do about it? Nothing at this time...

It might be too late about it now...I will see how the next meeting goes and what he says. I will have to see what he has to say at the next meeting. Plus what would they do about it? Nothing at this time...

If that person seriously thinks this way, you should really consider talking to a higher up about it. His perspectives may hurt the college in the future if he seriously doesn't see a need to expand accessibility and could open the college up to a whole mess of litigation if he were to continue saying such ridiculous things to other students.

I know how you feel and it is very discouraging but be strong and make sure he gets spanked because you could be paving the way for other deafies.

He still needs to be reported even though the administration may do nothing about it but at least there's a paper trail in case other deafies sued. The record may show that he routinely denied services and told them to get an FM unit.

For the next meeting - be very sure to have everything documented if possible. Do not get angry or defensive. If he's telling you same thing at next meeting, simply ask him a set of legal questions such as - "So are you refusing to provide an interpreter?"

Last edited:
If that person seriously thinks this way, you should really consider talking to a higher up about it. His perspectives may hurt the college in the future if he seriously doesn't see a need to expand accessibility and could open the college up to a whole mess of litigation if he were to continue saying such ridiculous things to other students.

Yes its possible...Ill have to look into appropriate person to speak to! I feel like the school kinda hates me because I need an interpreter :tears:

maybe go to Dean, Chancellor's office and/or Office of Student Affairs...

after you arrive there and more settled, if you have time and desire, you could write a letter about your experience, to the school paper-

If there is a Dean of Student Development or more generally just the Dean of Students, it might be good to at least talk to them about it and file some sort of report on the issue.

Thanks DogMOM!

I really hope they dont make this harder than it needs to be!

Am I the only one who thinks a letter from my dr. stating I need an interpreter is a bit un-nessacary? They are getting my recent audiogram and its obvious by the audiogram how bad my hearing is.

Hope be solve on problem I Hope be hear your resolve!

Yes its possible...Ill have to look into appropriate person to speak to!
You may try asking your Academic Adviser first. Refer to your University Policy book. It contains just about everything you need to know.

I feel like the school kinda hates me because I need an interpreter :tears:
don't be silly.

consider this a learning experience because this won't be the last for you. Discrimination is everywhere and they can get away with it all the time because many people cowered away or do not know what to do.

Yes its possible...Ill have to look into appropriate person to speak to! I feel like the school kinda hates me because I need an interpreter :tears:

Just don't let them make you apologize for yourself and your wanting an education.

Sorry, can't get over what a dick thing to say that was. :mad:

You may try asking your Academic Adviser first. Refer to your University Policy book. It contains just about everything you need to know.

don't be silly.

consider this a learning experience because this won't be the last for you. Discrimination is everywhere and they can get away with it all the time because many people cowered away or do not know what to do.

This guy is the Academic Advisor for students registered with Disability Services :roll: I will need to find someone else, possibly a dean...I dont know.

Thanks DogMOM!

I really hope they dont make this harder than it needs to be!

Am I the only one who thinks a letter from my dr. stating I need an interpreter is a bit un-nessacary? They are getting my recent audiogram and its obvious by the audiogram how bad my hearing is.

yes - it's just for documentation purpose. They got the letter from my audiologist and... I can't remember who else. It's been quite a long time since I graduated from college :lol:

Audiogram is just a proof of your hearing disability but they are not legally qualified to make an assessment on what you can do or can't do based on audiogram.

Back