CapTel phones (or similar devices)

Dixie

Farting Snowflakes
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does anyone utilize these? I have thought carefully about having a phone like this for the landline at my apartment, but I was wondering how accurate the captions are given the different pronunciations that people have.

Also, are there any specific requirements you must have to utilize the CapTel phone? How much do these phones cost, and is there an assistance program out there for people who are D/HH to get these phones at a fraction of the cost?

Does anyone utilize these? I have thought carefully about having a phone like this for the landline at my apartment, but I was wondering how accurate the captions are given the different pronunciations that people have.

Also, are there any specific requirements you must have to utilize the CapTel phone? How much do these phones cost, and is there an assistance program out there for people who are D/HH to get these phones at a fraction of the cost?

1. accuracy = same as IP Relay... more or less.
2. no specific requirement. just a regular phone line or ethernet cable
3. $99 but can be free for those with low income. you'll need to contact your DVRS about it

I have one and I chucked it.

Why don't you try the web version now? Hamilton CapTel: Web CapTel: What is Web CapTel?

All it takes is an computer with internet connection and thus a browser (or a smart phone with a browser) and any other phone to hear as much as you can of what the other party says and to talk back to them. You do have to speak to who ever you called with any of the CapTel versions.

I have made other posts about using this as my cell phone solution. I am using a Droid 2 browser (this phone happens to be activated on Page Plus — they use the Verizon network but run much less than Verizon) and a LG 3280 TracFone that I have had for many years (used to use with a Krown PocketComm TTY but I got tired of how fragile those TTY's proved to be) that also uses the Verizon towers.

I think there are things that enter in to how well the captions work. I get the impression how clearly the person you have called speaks would be one of them. Then there is the skill of the individual captioner you happen to get on any one call. Also, I would think how good a phone connection you have, which would vary like on any phone call, would be a factor in how well the captioner can understand what is being said and thus how accurate what they caption is.

I have not used it much know that it is best to say something the moment you see a pause in the ringing message to avoid being hung up on because of a bit of a lag from when the other party speaks and you see the caption. The captioner can't send anything to you until the other person says something so it seems natural to me that there is a pause which the other person may be puzzled about because unlike relay the service is not announced to the hearing party.

Hope all this makes sense. Please feel free to ask questions.

Some states will give them to you for free or at a very reduced cost. I think the number Jiro claimed ($99) is the typical reduced cost. If you paid the full thing they are around $600.

And second Jane's idea about trying it via your computer. I tried it that way from the HLAA convention, to my husband. He is a patient sort (sometimes!) and he knew it was me, but he said the lag on his end (waiting for me to read the captions and then respond) was a little annoying. The captions on that short call were fairly accurate. They made one funny mistake which was obvious as the caption made no sense. My husband said something like "Have you been past her today?" and the caption came out "Have you seen Pastor ...(something)... today?"

Since he's British, "been" rhymes with "seen" for him, unlike the standard American pronounciation which sounds like "Ben." The captioner clearly wasn't used to that.

We got that cleared up right away and then chatted for a couple minutes about something else. Anyway, it worked all right, with the caveat that it does require a bit of patience on both ends of the conversation.

I have one here in FL that was free on loan through my Deaf Service Center for as long as I need it. In Missouri, I also had one free on loan through an agency that works with the Missouri Deaf Services or something like that.

It's better if you use 2 phone lines. Only the main one would need long distance service. This way, you can have all incoming or outgoing calls captioned. There is a way to do that with just one phone line, but everyone calling you would need to call a specific 800 number, then give your number and get through to you that way. Basically they are calling into the relay service first. I find there is about a 2-5 second delay so that the relay operator can type everything in. I have been using CapTel phones now for 4 1/2 years. One great thing is, you can have an answering machine and the CapTel will caption you messages for you. Directions are on-screen.

At the link I gave you, it gives all the info for getting one free in your state. Mainly, you will need to prove your hearing loss with your most current audiogram, even if it's an old one.

I don't use the web version mainly since it's not as easy for me. Also, my family likes to use the CapTel phone to better understand the calls. Son qualifies for his own if needed with his hearing loss.

At the link I gave you, it gives all the info for getting one free in your state. Mainly, you will need to prove your hearing loss with your most current audiogram, even if it's an old one.

I don't use the web version mainly since it's not as easy for me. Also, my family likes to use the CapTel phone to better understand the calls. Son qualifies for his own if needed with his hearing loss.

I left on just a part of the first post of yours quoted because my point is the question of where your link is. I cannot find it.

Then my reason for going into the web version was because it is something that Dixie is probably in a position to try without having any additional equipment on hand.

I know it is considered old tech but Illinois, for one, offers TTYs free as well. That has the advantage of only having to tell people to dial 711 and give your full phone number. They can be chained with a landline phone to use VCO if you desire to speak. Those offered by Illinois are something that is about the size of a laptop computer and comes with a case. While not something most would want to carry everywhere they are something that can be taken along when you know you will want to make calls. I am under the impression that a CapTel phone would not be quite as easy to do that with.

I left on just a part of the first post of yours quoted because my point is the question of where your link is. I cannot find it.

The link is in a different thread that she has.

Then my reason for going into the web version was because it is something that Dixie is probably in a position to try without having any additional equipment on hand.

That's possible too.

I know it is considered old tech but Illinois, for one, offers TTYs free as well. That has the advantage of only having to tell people to dial 711 and give your full phone number. They can be chained with a landline phone to use VCO if you desire to speak. Those offered by Illinois are something that is about the size of a laptop computer and comes with a case. While not something most would want to carry everywhere they are something that can be taken along when you know you will want to make calls. I am under the impression that a CapTel phone would not be quite as easy to do that with.

That I don't know about.

Captel works on smart phones, I believe. If you need to make a lot of phone calls while away from home, might be worth the cost.

I have used hamilton captel for my cell... I have just started using iprelay on my phone because I like it better... at work I use the caption call system (captioncall.com), its fairly accurate, there are some times when it says (unclear) or a word in green lettering (meaning its not sure the word is right). We were able to get the phone for free at work... but thats just because they are starting up in colorado. The phone stays the property of the company, and there is no monthly fee... but you do need a land line and high speed internet, either wireless or wired. Normally these are about 150 for set up fee... one of the nice things about them owning the phone is that if it ever breaks they replace it for free.

Captel works on smart phones, I believe. If you need to make a lot of phone calls while away from home, might be worth the cost.

to use captel with a smart phone it either needs to have 4g access (be able to talk on the phone and have internet) or be connected to wifi. If you have a smart phone, it might just be easier to use ip relay... you don't even have to sign to do it... theres mobile vrs... and just ip relay. I use ip relay on my cell because I don't have a forward facing camera. but i'm pretty sure she was talking about for a land line... there are captioned phones, like i mentioned in the post above... if you need more information I can get it for you.

to use captel with a smart phone it either needs to have 4g access (be able to talk on the phone and have internet) or be connected to wifi. If you have a smart phone, it might just be easier to use ip relay... you don't even have to sign to do it... theres mobile vrs... and just ip relay. I use ip relay on my cell because I don't have a forward facing camera. but i'm pretty sure she was talking about for a land line... there are captioned phones, like i mentioned in the post above... if you need more information I can get it for you.

For use on a smart phone with only one phone you need to be in a GSM (AT & T) 3G area with certain models of iPhone, Android or Blackberry or a Verizon 3G or 4G area and be using a Thunderbolt as you phone.

I am not in such an area for AT & T and don't want the cost associated with a Verizon Thunderbolt & Verizon's rates. So please see post 3 for my way around this for what is mostly a "peace of mind" phone rather than something that gets constant use.

For my cell solution I use the web version with the browser in a Droid 2 (a Android smartphone model) and a LG 3280 TracFone (a dumb phone) to speak to the other person. Both of these are activated with MVNO companies that use the Verizon network towers.

Last edited:
The Illinois agency (ITAC found at ITAC - Welcome ) is a separate agency. I will admit I did not check out the Arkansas link but might they be a separate one there as well just for equipment?

There is not an income limit for equipment in Illinois. Please see their site for details.

The reason for wanting a landline phone is so if in an emergency if cell phone towers go down, I can still contact my family or my family will still be able to contact me. It's about having that back up in bad situations.

Usually landline phones are the very last thing to get cut in disasters, whereas cell phones are usually one of the first things that go out of service.

you're in luck Sir!!!
Just the other night I was searching for links for deaf services & other stuff for the deaf & HOH, and here is some of what I found.

On these links you will find information about the Cap Telephones(how much cost, what you need to get one put in your home, etc).

WCI - Weitbrecht Communications, Inc. | CapTel, Captioned Telephone, Phone Captions, Products for Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Hearing Loss, Hearing Phone

Ultratec - The Worldwide Leader in Text Telecommunications

Assistive Listening Devices from Sound Clarity
you can order a free catalog from here

these are the only ones I found that show the actual cap telephones...I know that there is more out there, but this is all I have on hand at the moment.

I hope this helps you. If I can be of any more assistance to you, Please don't hesitate to ask. I love helping people whenever I can. :)

I just had a Cap-Tel installed;it's on 30 day loan from VA Department of Deaf and Hard of Hearing. We have a DSL line.

Our previous phones include one main in the bedroom and 2 portables,one with an answering machine.

To have all existing phones working and the Cap-Tel working,we had to install a "splitter" at the DSL filter box to allow 2 phones (one being the Cap-Tel) to work from the same location and all phones to work on the same phone #.

I'm really enjoying the Cap-Tel! Ultratec,the parent company has a very good manual for the Cap-Tel 800.

If VA makes me pay,it will cost me $99. (Am on SSI .) It being a $600 phone,my worker advised me to use a surge protector with it.

There might be compatibility issues with Cap-Tel 800's instruction disk. It buzzed and got stuck in my Mac Mini 2007 edition. My DVD/VCR player wouldn't show the 2nd line of captioning. (2 line captioning format was used
for disc.)

Just my 2 cents!

Anyone have experience with the new CapTel 840I? It can connect either wirelessly or with
ethernet cable (via router). Captions both outgoing and incoming with a direct dial. High
speed internet required;no dial-up.

Thanks!

P.S.-Am enjoying my CapTel 800!

Last edited:
I am having problems with my CapTel phone with 2 lines. It is now hanging up in the middle of a call. I have to un-plug it and wait 10 seconds then plug it back in. I think I have it too close to the router/modem and that's causing problems. Thinking I may just get rid of it and give it back to the Deaf Service Center to send back to the agency that provides them.

Back