fire alarm flashing lights

Hurry Man 007

Reaction score
My school do not have fire alarm flashing lights. should I file a complaint at ADA office?

My school do not have fire alarm flashing lights. should I file a complaint at ADA office?

I'd bring it up with your school, first (they might have an office dealing with students with disabilities), and if they don't agree to put them in, then go to the ADA. Officials at your school will likely appreciate it more if you go to them, first, instead of going for legal action.

I agree - I'd talk with the school in a helpful, non-threatening way first (ie don't storm in threatening to sue!!).

A lot of older buildings don't automatically have to upgrade to new codes ... however are willing to do so if someone in the building actually needs the upgrade (accessible washrooms, braille, visual fire alarms etc).

I remember my office didn't have it. Until I asked them about it. Eventually they added it. Talk to them first and find out what's going on. I'm surprised that your school don't have it no matter what if someone's not Deaf. Hope they will add it asap

You can get more done with honey then vinegar. I agree with the other folks -- talk to the school first and see if they are aware of it. Remember , a public school must get most things done with school board votes, or within the next year budget. In the meantime, you need to have plan b and c by having them assign couple people to let you know alarm is going off.

Isn't he the kid from Iowa School for the Deaf??

I had a couple of friends who worked there. They should have them there, and I believe they do. :hmm: I could be wrong, though.

I am sure they do, so maybe I got the wrong person, or maybe he is somewhere else now.
Actually nevermind, this seems to be an adult, not sure the name of the poster I was thinking of.

My city just recently made the sidewalk W/C accessible in front of the middle school ,they have a ramp and railing so students can get into the school easier now.

have a buddy system in school and at work.
for flashing lights, each state has an assistive technology center. In VA here, it is under VDHH.
And at my former company, an epileptic complained about my flashing light. well tough, my deaf rights versus his invisible disability.

Or maybe you can contact a firehouse nearby and let them know that you are deaf and your school doesn't have a flashing light so they will probably check it out and warn the school.

You can get more done with honey then vinegar. I agree with the other folks -- talk to the school first and see if they are aware of it. Remember , a public school must get most things done with school board votes, or within the next year budget. In the meantime, you need to have plan b and c by having them assign couple people to let you know alarm is going off.
I don't think so. It has to be done immediately because fire won't wait.

I don't think so. It has to be done immediately because fire won't wait.
Tell that to the school budget; unfortunately that's how it will go- they need to request funds to have it done. Doesn't get done for free.

Back