Which one is better AAA or AARP service?

webexplorer

Reaction score
What do you think about AAA and AARP services for traveling and towing services? Which one do you think that it is better? (AAA and AARP)

:dunno: I've never used either one. I have towing reimbursement included with my auto insurance.

I don't belong to any traveler's aid organization, either, mainly because they are all set up for voice telephone calls, and I'm deaf.

First, I know how to change tires and handle most other vehicle troubles. Secondly, I think it's important to keep my gas tank at least half full and everything in the vehicle in good working order.

If I'm ever stranded in the country, I have insurance like Reba, so I text a hearie friend who will come assist me or send a tow truck.

I don't belong to any traveler's aid organization, either, mainly because they are all set up for voice telephone calls, and I'm deaf.

First, I know how to change tires and handle most other vehicle troubles. Secondly, I think it's important to keep my gas tank at least half full and everything in the vehicle in good working order.

If I'm ever stranded in the country, I have insurance like Reba, so I text a hearie friend who will come assist me or send a tow truck.
Yeah, we keep our vehicles in good order and gassed up, and can take care of flats and jumps ourselves. We had to call the tow truck for broken u-joints, transmissions that froze up, malfunctioning security system that killed the engine while driving (aack!), and engines that just go BOOM. :P I've even pushed some of my old cars off the road, one hand on the steering wheel, my feet on the ground (man, that old 72 Charger was HEAVY!)

Agreed, Reba. Though not coming down on either side of AAA or AARP roadside services, I think this is still on-topic for forum with deaf drivers.

In Montana and Oregon last year, several drivers lost their lives being stranded. In the back of my car are always . . .

An extensive first-responder (first-aid) kit
Extra clothing, boots, and rain gear
A small mountain winter tent
A down sleeping bag
Canned food and water, and a Primus stove
Both an electric and a gas lantern
Matches and flint 'n' steel
A carbine and 100 rounds of ammo
Because I'm deaf, a marine Very pistol and six flares

Agreed, Reba. Though not coming down on either side of AAA or AARP roadside services, I think this is still on-topic for forum with deaf drivers.

In Montana and Oregon last year, several drivers lost their lives being stranded. In the back of my car are always . . .

An extensive first-responder (first-aid) kit
Extra clothing, boots, and rain gear
A small mountain winter tent
A down sleeping bag
Canned food and water, and a Primus stove
Both an electric and a gas lantern
Matches and flint 'n' steel
A carbine and 100 rounds of ammo
Because I'm deaf, a marine Very pistol and six flares
I don't live in such a potentially harsh climate, so I don't carry all of those things. I keep a "space" blanket, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, knife, rain jacket, water bottle, folding chair, two kinds of flashlights, small afghan, pillow, and other stuff in my car. I can't carry my gun because I work in schools and government buildings. :(

You might need one more thing - a wood cross in case if there is a vampire at night when you drive and get lost in the woods. :giggle:

Recently, I found out that my Commerce insurance wants me to pay 30 dollars if I do not use my AAA membership for the discount. I already paid in full two months ago for the insurance.

I am not going to pay 158 dollars this year for my AAA. I called the Better World Club and asked for the price, and he said it cost 119 which included the free maps and a towing service (100 miles). Now, I don't know what my insurance company will do with me if I don't pay 30 bucks. The AAA's price is getting a rip off every year, and three years ago was very reasonable price.

I understand that you don't have a member which means that you have to pay when the service comes in and tow your car. What would happen if you don't have money with you or no check? I don't know how long it take for you to receive your reimbursement from your insurance or its policy.

I'm trying to figure how to do banning for Web for mentioning the cross and for Reba for mentioning the Bible, as I'm sure there will be many PMs urging two or three years bans on religious grounds.

In the meantime, I think you both should be thinking silver buckshot in 12 gauge scatterguns. Works for your vampire, your werewolf, your basic griz and black bear as well, not to mention carjackers. Kind of your all-purpose talisman.

I'm trying to figure how to do banning for Web for mentioning the cross and for Reba for mentioning the Bible, as I'm sure there will be many PMs urging two or three years bans on religious grounds.

In the meantime, I think you both should be thinking silver buckshot in 12 gauge scatterguns. Works for your vampire, your werewolf, your basic griz and black bear as well, not to mention carjackers. Kind of your all-purpose talisman.
:giggle:

...In the meantime, I think you both should be thinking silver buckshot in 12 gauge scatterguns. Works for your vampire, your werewolf, your basic griz and black bear as well, not to mention carjackers. Kind of your all-purpose talisman.
But remember, I can't pack heat on school grounds. :(

That's right. I taught at a backward country college where a dozen professors had carry permits and did, and at least half the male and female faculty had guns in their pickups in the parking lots.

It was known as an "attack-free zone."

At present, a high school teacher in Eugene, Oregon, is challenging the gun-free zone law in Oregon, citing her concealled weapon permit and the U.S. constitution exempts her from laws meant for students who can't have handguns by law anyway and criminals.

Oops, this got off topic. Um . . . let's see . . . my silver bullets are good for those who can't control road rage, too.

That's right. I taught at a backward country college where a dozen professors had carry permits and did, and at least half the male and female faculty had guns in their pickups in the parking lots.
I have a conceal carry permit but it requires that we obey any "no guns allowed" signs. At the entrance to the college's parking lot is a "no guns allowed" sign. When I work at hospitals, it's the same situation. :(

There is one gated community (Kiawah Island) where Hubby used to have customers. But last year they posted a "no guns allowed" sign at their gate, so Hubby refuses to accept work from that community. He doesn't normally carry his gun with him to jobs anyway but it's a principle thing for him. :) When former customers call from there he tells them the reason, and encourages them to complain to their homeowners' association.

Oops, this got off topic. Um . . . let's see . . . my silver bullets are good for those who can't control road rage, too.
:topic: You're right.

Anyway, I've read that AARP is strongly anti-gun and Second Amendment, so that's another reason to not sign up with them.

AARP service!! for me. I just tell u'all at the towing company's view(NOT MEMBER'S VIEW) because AARP paid us damn good and always on time for doing thier service as I ran the towing company here in NC...we usually put AAA on very last in my priority to provide this service..but we used to provide AAA our roadside and towing service but stopped in 1998 due to slow paying. we still serviced four motor clubs most from Insurance companies which are good as they go like Allstate auto club, Geico, the travelers, GE(OnStar), cross country motor club and US motor club which most new automobile manufacturers tend use for their warrenty service like Ford use US motor club or Chryslers use cross country motor club or GM use GE(OnStar) such like that ok based on my experiance my suggestion would be go with your insurance that provide a towing service for small fee but will be your worthwhile and For AAA. most towing companies really not crazy to provide AAA their service due to very low rates and much hassles with paying on time but high volume calls but at Most big metro cities have thier own AAA towing services instead of using private towing companies which may be good for anyone who would like to join to be a member... so at the member's view there have many pro's and con's on both of em ... good luck

Last edited:
Many years ago, AAA provided the ability for Wyndtell users to contact them directly via email if they needed roadside service. Is any roadside service company accessible that way now?

A huge problem with getting emergency roadside service is that the tow truck operator generally needs to call you back to find out exactly how to get to your car. If you miss that call, you're out of luck and you may never get helped by that operator. That has happened to me twice.

The system apparently isn't set up well to tell the tow truck operator how to find your car even if you can provide that information right away. And the people who answer the call also aren't necessarily set up with good maps, either. I once couldn't get any help from either Sprint or AAA for my car when my tire blew out in San Francisco; the folks answering the phone were completely helpless even though I had a navigation system and could give a lot of information. Only when the highway patrol happened to zoom by chasing someone else did I get any help because I ran after them and they called a tow truck operator for me. I had been waiting for two hours and my phone's battery was near death.

AAA never disappoint me.

Even you get discount everywhere with AAA membership.

Back