Is the Poverty Rate Higher For Deaf People Than General Population?

that sux. My vocational rehab counselor told me never to bring up any hearing issues or health problems.

I hate interviews over the phone, cuz of my deaf accent. They always ask if I have a cold, one lady even told me I sound like Slyvester Stallone in Rocky. I wonder if it would be wise to tell them Im hoh?

Well, I can tell you this... I got a response to a job position I applied for. Once I told them that I was deaf, they went, that shouldn't be a problem. I said, great and when do you want to set an interview?

They never replied.

I think they were just trying to weasel their way out and did a bad job at it.

I have feeling I will have a hard time finding a job in Russellville with my hearing status, but I will still try nonetheless. I plan to go to every bank over there (there's 18 godzillion of them over there), maybe look in the classifieds to see if there are any jobs at a daycare center or something like that available. I am going to try my hardest to stay away from big box retail stores because their working hours are usually very wild and unpredictable. I learned this at WM. I won't make the same mistake twice. As a single mother living on my own in the future while going to school, I need something with regular predictable hours and I don't have to work way late into the night. Of course I plan to work just part-time and go to school full-time. I also fully expect to work on Saturdays at least. I want Sundays off for religious reasons.

What inflation?

Oh, I'm talking about cost of living, gas price going up, electricity, property tax, food price and so on. There are some gov doing a budget cut and not giving a raise for next 3 years, so the inflation keep going up...while there asset freezed... you know?

Maybe the poverty will be higher than ever. The housing in good areas are becoming unaffordable even they say it's affordable but not to me. The rents for houses around in Waterloo have gone up since I moved here. During the winter months, the heating bills are ridiculously high that low income people cannot afford it and have to rely on services to pay for them during winter months. Summer months, depending how efficient the A/C system are. Many can't even afford a A/C unit, either. They survive thru the summer months with no A/C.

When I moved here, the cost of living index was 77 in 2010 and it's 86 in Jan 2011.

I think in UK it's much more higher. There are many deaf people who live with their family and earn DLA money to buy iPhone and other expensive items while not doing anything.

I've even seen someone go a step further than that, they move to expensive house, earn DLA, housing benefit and JSA. If you earn all of that money, you're pretty much guaranteed to live forever on your own without job while still having enough money for every summer holidays.

That'swhy Deaf schools SHOULD NOT be shut down. They provide jobs for people who would have been discriminated and end up collecting SSI. These people are working and paying taxes. Why does stupid society why to shut them down? Put more deaf people out of jobs and then discriminate against us causing us to collect money from taxpayers?

Something is wrong with this picture.

What's sad is all too often when an employer finds out a potential candidate is deaf or hard of hearing, they automatically pick someone else because the employer either doesn't want to 'hassle with it' or doesn't know how to make proper accommodations.

In this crapola economy, everyone is competing for what few job there are available which makes it even harder for deaf and hard of hearing individuals. I'm betting in this economy there are a higher number of d/hh individual drawing SSDI simply because they can't find a job.

If this is true, what are the causes of this? Audism? Deaf people are lazy and stupid?

audism exists because hearing people are too lazy, not us, that same laziness rubs off on some deafies for some bullshit ranking within the so called 'bigger hearing world':barf:

audism exists because hearing people are too lazy, not us, that same laziness rubs off on some deafies for some bullshit ranking within the so called 'bigger hearing world':barf:

Grummer, I fully support your point of view. If you go through life with your mind set, they I suspect you will always be disappointed. But if you want to get ahead of everyone else, then you have to be better than everyone else. Being deaf/Deaf makes this a bit harder as we also have to prove to the hearies that we not only just as good as they are, but better than they are.

Ex: I want to show that I am the Best IT tech at my work. I have to constantly and consistently outshine my hearing co-workers. If I was just as good as they are, then when it's time to reduce workers, my job is not very secure.

Yeah, a good amount of ADers have had their share of "You can drive?" questions asked to them, including myself.

Yeah I can drive. They allowed you to even sit for the written driving exam?

:giggle:

I just wrote an essay on how to talk to deaf people for my English Class. I had aim for humour but instead I got shocked look from my fellow students. (I am the only deaf in ALL of my classes and I enjoy doing and saying things to change their perception of deaf people... and I never approach any issues in a nice way... )

A student actually said "wait a minute, you guys have sex, too?" I couldn't believe it, I didn't know how to response to that... just gave that dude a prolonged "wow you are stupid" look. Then I said "It is not the ignorance of americans that greatly affect our country but their stupidity" The looks from my teacher and students... priceless....

Interesting discussion.... I stumbled upon this thread in search for evidence for closing deaf schools would lead to increase in deaf poverty. I realized it is not a nationwide concern, which concerned me... I believe that America should be aware of the dangers of closing deaf schools that would affect the entire future foundations of America economy... Like I said, " It is not the ignorance of Americans that greatly affect our country but their stupidity."

Interesting discussion.... I stumbled upon this thread in search for evidence for closing deaf schools would lead to increase in deaf poverty. I realized it is not a nationwide concern, which concerned me... I believe that America should be aware of the dangers of closing deaf schools that would affect the entire future foundations of America economy... Like I said, " It is not the ignorance of Americans that greatly affect our country but their stupidity."

What?

I do not have statistics to back it up, but yes I think the poverty rate is higher among
the deaf than the hearing...and here is why I think this.

Too many hearing people have this attitude that the deaf are stupid, retarded, etc & unable to learn ANYTHING. Because of this stinkin' thinkin', they(hearing people) do not want to hire the deaf for anything. The reality of all this is, that there is usually little difference between the deaf & the hearing as far as intelligence goes. hearing people can be just as "stupid" as some deaf people(and I HAVE met a few stupid deaf). IMO, it's all about attitudes...deaf attitudes & hearing attitudes. Untill this is over come by BOTH sides, nothing is gonna change.

I do not have statistics to back it up, but yes I think the poverty rate is higher among
the deaf than the hearing...and here is why I think this.

Too many hearing people have this attitude that the deaf are stupid, retarded, etc & unable to learn ANYTHING. Because of this stinkin' thinkin', they(hearing people) do not want to hire the deaf for anything. The reality of all this is, that there is usually little difference between the deaf & the hearing as far as intelligence goes. hearing people can be just as "stupid" as some deaf people(and I HAVE met a few stupid deaf). IMO, it's all about attitudes...deaf attitudes & hearing attitudes. Untill this is over come by BOTH sides, nothing is gonna change.

Were you born and raised in Texas by chance?

As for the rest of your post, yes I agree a lot of the problem is the attitudes on both sides. However, all too often perfectly qualified and capable deaf candidates are often looked over with disdain and sadly a lesser qualified hearing candidate is chosen.

The times where the qualified d/hh is chosen immediately without any further question is if the company management has encountered d/hh people on a regular basis in their day to day lives or has a close family member who is d/hh and does just as well as the hearing, if not better.

I would LOVE it if there was a company around here that employed mostly d/hh individuals that provided a valuable service to hearing clients. I'm thinking something kind of like the KFC in Egypt that is run entirely by d/hh people. Or maybe a landscaping company that hired only d/hh individuals and call it 'The Quiet Shrub Landscaping'. Something that can give d/hh a leg up in this area. Sure something like that isn't everyone's cup of tea but a solid work history and a good recommendation from a boss can open a door to a better job.

I thankfully haven't been unemployed for more than five weeks in this economy at any one time.

I've noticed it's even getting tough for people to finish their post-secondary educations despite college enrollments being at a high in recent years.

Back