Apartment Bullying

If the lady wanted complete silence, she should live in a single family home.

Hi, my family and I live on the second floor of an apartment complex and my neighbor downstairs is bullying me. She says that I am too loud. This particular neighbor complains about every thing though, I mean when the dryer is on she complains and everyone who has lived in this unit has been scared away or evicted because she complained too much.

I have asked the apartment manager to switch us to a downstairs apartment so this wouldn't be a problem. Me, being hard of hearing, things need to be louder for me and living upstairs is not a good idea. So I asked them to switch us but they won't unless we pay a new deposit, a whole new app fee, and new background check. I feel this isn't fair and feel my rights are being violated.

What do I need to do to get my apartment complex to move us with out all the fees?

That's wrong. I've switched apartments in the same building in the same complex, from an upstairs apartment to a downstairs one, without paying any of those crazy fees and without any background check. I had absolutely no issues. My only reasons for switching was for my safety due to my disability and I was worried that the metal plates that held the cement stairs had rusted into such snaggy conditions that if the back of my summer skirt or a pair of tatted old jeans got caught on the metal I would trip and fall. The management/landlord had absolutely no issues and switched me when a ground floor apartment in the same building became available. I didn't even need a doctor's note at all. I no longer live at that complex now though. I moved out the weekend after Turkey Day just last month.

Your landlord is totally in the wrong. They just want to suck all the money they can get before you finally move whenever in the future. They're just being greedy, selfish bastards who only sees the money signs $$$$$$.

Good luck and I hope you succeed but you shouldn't have to move just to aplease your neighbors. You're deaf and can't hear your own voice? The washer is too loud? They don't want to hear your cat or dog fart? Too bad for your neighbors! They are just being totally unreasonable. Don't let them drive you out of your apartment! They're whiny little dicks. Stand strong and stay where you are. They can't get the landlord to evict you just because they can hear you or the washer or whatever sounds that are at reasonable volumes for whatever time of the day it is made at. Screw the neighbors. Don't let them deny you your right to a normal everyday life and make you tiptoe around your apartment just because they "can" hear 10 times better than bats. They're just being dicks.

Luica not pleasure inappropriate swearing no offense I am please no please! you insult swearing you angry complaint OP!! negative your many times stop grow up!
your own your yourself your own apart if your take an advantage to people! no

your own your apart simply!inappropriate behavior OP!

That's wrong. I've switched apartments in the same building in the same complex, from an upstairs apartment to a downstairs one, without paying any of those crazy fees and without any background check. I had absolutely no issues. My only reasons for switching was for my safety due to my disability and I was worried that the metal plates that held the cement stairs had rusted into such snaggy conditions that if the back of my summer skirt or a pair of tatted old jeans got caught on the metal I would trip and fall. The management/landlord had absolutely no issues and switched me when a ground floor apartment in the same building became available. I didn't even need a doctor's note at all. I no longer live at that complex now though. I moved out the weekend after Turkey Day just last month.

Your landlord is totally in the wrong. They just want to suck all the money they can get before you finally move whenever in the future. They're just being greedy, selfish bastards who only sees the money signs $$$$$$.

Good luck and I hope you succeed but you shouldn't have to move just to aplease your neighbors. You're deaf and can't hear your own voice? The washer is too loud? They don't want to hear your cat or dog fart? Too bad for your neighbors! They are just being totally unreasonable. Don't let them drive you out of your apartment! They're whiny little dicks. Stand strong and stay where you are. They can't get the landlord to evict you just because they can hear you or the washer or whatever sounds that are at reasonable volumes for whatever time of the day it is made at. Screw the neighbors. Don't let them deny you your right to a normal everyday life and make you tiptoe around your apartment just because they "can" hear 10 times better than bats. They're just being dicks.

:rofl: I agree with you 110% I've been there before. It sure sucks and we had to talk with Landlord and straighten things up. Luckily we only live Apt complex 6 months. Also I never had issue when we asked to transfer from one room to another for reason, As long as it's same rental price, no whatsoever charges on that, just change addresss and room number then sign it.

Sound like his Landlord is dirty jerk. Best bet is to talk with the Bank or Company that owns the Apartment complex. Landlord is just the "underlings". It works like a charm when Landlord blamed us for leaky water and expect us to pay $1,500 damage. It was never our fault so we went to Bank that owns and control Apartment complex. They gave us a waiver and warned Landlord to leave us alone. Landlord was pissed and kept mouth shut until we moved but funny thing she got fired a month later then new Landlord came in so We don't have to worry about grudgy Landlord at all.

Catty

:rofl: I agree with you 110% I've been there before. It sure sucks and we had to talk with Landlord and straighten things up. Luckily we only live Apt complex 6 months. Also I never had issue when we asked to transfer from one room to another for reason, As long as it's same rental price, no whatsoever charges on that, just change addresss and room number then sign it.

Sound like his Landlord is dirty jerk. Best bet is to talk with the Bank or Company that owns the Apartment complex. Landlord is just the "underlings". It works like a charm when Landlord blamed us for leaky water and expect us to pay $1,500 damage. It was never our fault so we went to Bank that owns and control Apartment complex. They gave us a waiver and warned Landlord to leave us alone. Landlord was pissed and kept mouth shut until we moved but funny thing she got fired a month later then new Landlord came in so We don't have to worry about grudgy Landlord at all.

Catty

After having worked for a company that did construction, and both owned and managed rental property for many years before retirement I can't resist making some comments about industry terms. What Catty is calling "Landlord" is commonly known in the industry as the "Property Manager". The Property Manager may be someone hired by the owner or the owner may do their own property management.

I could see there being some at least a temporary addition to the security/damage deposit until the unit being vacated has passed inspection for any tenant caused damages but NOT additional fees.

After having worked for a company that did construction, and both owned and managed rental property for many years before retirement I can't resist making some comments about industry terms. What Catty is calling "Landlord" is commonly known in the industry as the "Property Manager". The Property Manager may be someone hired by the owner or the owner may do their own property management.

I could see there being some at least a temporary addition to the security/damage deposit until the unit being vacated has passed inspection for any tenant caused damages but NOT additional fees.

Yes, Here in KS, they called Property Manager "Landlord".. We did not lose the security deposit after we moved out. The toilet was Apartment's problem. The Ballchock got stuck and it filled up and overflowed the tank, my roomates and I are deaf and we can't hear a thing. So the Owner waived it because we fits in description of waiver policy.

Catty

Hi, my family and I live on the second floor of an apartment complex and my neighbor downstairs is bullying me. She says that I am too loud. This particular neighbor complains about every thing though, I mean when the dryer is on she complains and everyone who has lived in this unit has been scared away or evicted because she complained too much.

I have asked the apartment manager to switch us to a downstairs apartment so this wouldn't be a problem. Me, being hard of hearing, things need to be louder for me and living upstairs is not a good idea. So I asked them to switch us but they won't unless we pay a new deposit, a whole new app fee, and new background check. I feel this isn't fair and feel my rights are being violated.

What do I need to do to get my apartment complex to move us with out all the fees?

My family went through this when we moved to our condo. The neighbor below us always complained about how loud we were and wanted us to learn how to walk. (He went to our neighbor across from us after she returned from work one afternoon, and was trying to show her how to walk quietly and she obviously told him off). He complained that her heard my parents toilets flush, heard when I used the blow dryer, heard the blender, when we cooked, played ball with our cats. It just got so bad that he and his wife started banging on the ceiling for hours at separate locations. He did that to me at 3 AM while trying to sleep.

He called the police on us saying we were cutting wood with a power saw and making a lot of noise and a mess. We invited the police to take a tour of our place to look for wood chips and asked him to explain how we would pull off that operation with two cats and neighbors on both sides. The cop knew it was bogus. I might add my mother is not a well woman and among other things was dealing with high blood pressure. This is was just the kind of stuff you could only see in horror films - I really wanted to kill the man for doing this to my family.

Finally my father confronted him the main lobby and he threatened to punch my father so my Dad went to the police and later got a lawyer - at the sit down, the man's lawyer told him that if it went before a judge my family would have a case. Believe it or not, he stopped it, they cleared the air and we never had that problem again. If we ever get out of here when the housing market improves, we're going to rent a small home. Never again.....my advice is to write everything down and file a complaint with the police. If they continue to harass, get a lawyer. Best move we ever did....

I remember had problem with the apartment and landlord... TWICE... we were almost got evict for noise due my dog were barking really loud at night. We knew it wasn't our dog because always slept on bed with us.

So got threaten letter on front door from landlord as to resolve within 3 days. I asked the landlord with specific question. Just ask the specific what kind complaint, what time, and when was it... and what do they heard... So I wait for next 24 hours, my wife stay up all long night due on call until I get home from my night shift. So I let my wife sleep. I wait until the landlord office open, I stop by visited, statement that we were make noise and dog still barking.

So I straight forward to them about my wife being stay up all long and watch the dog ensure that dog isn't barking. I explain the across door has dog if they were aware of it... they looked the file and claim no dog that kind dog that I knew it was barking as yelping all the time. Afterward, turn out that their dog was barking and another sum up reason to start evicted them out.

Another problem when we move different apartment, it just previous landlord screw up the agreement paper work as they plan fee me over 2,000 for break agreement... It is important to have back up document, turn out they are on wrong page and waived us.

Document or threaten letter (be specific it like black and white policy such as you didn't ask we don't tell you)
write communicate
any unusually fee paperwork or who come in maintain the house

I will tell that downstair, tell me what time you heard and put on time, then we will see from there... if you don't like the noisy... move...

Back