Which is best dsl or cable?

haliwa

Reaction score
I want know which, is the best dsl or cable for high speed internet connections?

Can't answer which is better, they both fall under broadband. Reason for saying can't is because some areas across the nation cable offers better than DSL, while other areas are opposite. Compare the price, and their upload/download speed, and any package that you may want.

But I can say... DSL/cable is DEFINETLY far better than dial up internet connection!!!

Cable is good, but Careful DSL some not own Static, only PPPoE,
if cheap DSL mean only PPPoE like Dial-up dialog box, you click it every time, hate it. if no PPPoE, DSL will more expenise!! also must one or two year to cancel. Cable is free feeling cancel any time

but if you have SorensonVRS VP-100 cannot PPPoE!!!!! my friends quit DSL, then Cable, they are happy for VP!

rhr is almost right, but DSL is still good. If you want to use DSL, you can ask the company for a faster speed. I believe that cable and DSL are sort of the same speed. It depends how much you want to spend your money on the bill. I am not sure if your ISP would allow you to have 15 or 30 days trial free. The ISPWest.com provides a DSL, but it does not one in my area.

I had a roommate who was nut crazy about very high speed internet for flying video games online which cost so expensive (near T1). I cut it half speed for a better price on cable.

I recommend you to compare the prices and the speeds for both DSL and cable before you sign a contract. Always read the fine prints first... That's where you need to find out, then you decide which one is the right for you.

A quick info - DSL direct to a phone company. Cable share online along with your neighbor's internet cable. I was told that a lot of people use internet cable that cause online to slow down. I am currently on internet cable that does not affect the speed for almost a year - maybe some of my neighbors do not have a computer. My father has DSL, and the speed is good, too. I'm grateful that I do not have a dial-up service beside it was cheaper than DSL and cable.

At last, my advise for you never sign a contract for two years. One year is good so that you would have the opportunity to find other ISP service with a better price. (ISP = Internet Service Provider) I rather no contract. I am not sure about rhr's post about flexible contract.

webexplorer said:
rhr is almost right, but DSL is still good. If you want to use DSL, you can ask the company for a faster speed. I believe that cable and DSL are sort of the same speed. It depends how much you want to spend your money on the bill. I am not sure if your ISP would allow you to have 15 or 30 days trial free. The ISPWest.com provides a DSL, but it does not one in my area.

I had a roommate who was nut crazy about very high speed internet for flying video games online which cost so expensive (near T1). I cut it half speed for a better price on cable.

I recommend you to compare the prices and the speeds for both DSL and cable before you sign a contract. Always read the fine prints first... That's where you need to find out, then you decide which one is the right for you.

A quick info - DSL direct to a phone company. Cable share online along with your neighbor's internet cable. I was told that a lot of people use internet cable that cause online to slow down. I am currently on internet cable that does not affect the speed for almost a year - maybe some of my neighbors do not have a computer. My father has DSL, and the speed is good, too. I'm grateful that I do not have a dial-up service beside it was cheaper than DSL and cable.

At last, my advise for you never sign a contract for two years. One year is good so that you would have the opportunity to find other ISP service with a better price. (ISP = Internet Service Provider) I rather no contract. I am not sure about rhr's post about flexible contract.

you ars wrong, you said slow cable, it is not true. my life cable about 15 year, never slow, perfect VP that my friends suprise to me very fast send them but they quit DSL becuase they not happy for VP

rhr said:
you are wrong, you said slow cable, it is not true. my life cable about 15 year, never slow, perfect VP that my friends suprise to me very fast send them but they quit DSL becuase they not happy for VP

Well. I bet that your neighbors do not have a computer (or a few of them) on your street. That's why your online is very fast.

I am pretty sure that they did not quest for higher speed on DSL, but it is really not big deal. I am sure that the cable is still good, too because I believe that VP is not compatible with DSL because of the coaxial cable, not ethernet. Actually, I do not have a VP because it makes me think that it is creepy. What if you dislike your interpreter on the screen? Another situation, they are naked awhile the VP's active is on by mistake or so.

High Speed Internet cable is best choice as I believe! It gives me 9 million bytes per second (Mbps) in downloading.

Cox Co vs RoadRunner Co are playing against each other for High Speed Internet cable service.

haliwa said:
I want know which, is the best dsl or cable for high speed internet connections?
Cable will outperform DSL hands down. Also, DSL is not available in all areas and may not be available in your area. You have to be within 5 miles of a Central Office (CO). The further you are away from the CO, the more the signal strength degrades which results in poor performance. If you go cable, there is a price to pay. Cable is usually twice as much as DSL (your milage may vary).

rockdrummer said:
Cable will outperform DSL hands down. Also, DSL is not available in all areas and may not be available in your area. You have to be within 5 miles of a Central Office (CO). The further you are away from the CO, the more the signal strength degrades which results in poor performance. If you go cable, there is a price to pay. Cable is usually twice as much as DSL (your milage may vary).
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. In some areas you may be able to purchase higher perfroming DSL at a higher cost. For comparison, cable modems are about 4MB download speeds and 364k upload for about 50 bucks a month. Again, your milage may vary.

when you choice DSL, you're required to have telephone groundline. DSL doesn't loss the speed as it stay in same level.

Cable required no subscribe tv, your choice, depend on your neightbor or apartment are use cable often for internet. It's more like it will haovck the speed.

I am use high-speed 3MB package on cable plan with tv subscribe.

I now have cable since last yr due VP and it went smooth so far!! I know that DSL is far different than cable cuz of the speed that I noticed are so different so why is that? Or am I wrong pls correction me cuz that what I read abt it... I got puzzle abt it but I like cable best! Easy use for VP and computer as well!!

what about DSL?!

I actually haven't any problem with SBC DSL is known AT&T HI-SPEED INT./ AT&T DSL since Jan 2006. its pretty fast enough for me. DSL AND CABLE ARE SAME HI-SPEED, I was used on CABLE HI-SPEED before but I prefer DSL, because it is low price and fast upload/ download which actually satisfied my expectation.

Well, both DSL/cable does have good high-speed connections. In some areas it varies, really as like Webexplorer explained. He's right.

I have been a cable subscriber quite a long time at 2 different places with the same cable company yet both of them provided different speeds.

My current speed is bit slower than the older place because where I live now it has more users to share within my area that slows. The old place it was pretty much me in that area that was why my speed was incredibly faster at the old place. But last year the cable co. has increased its speed almost 2x that satisify me enough so far.

Will never go back to dial-up like I experienced it years ago .. it sucks lol.

To add .. remember that DSL has offers of vary speed and prices.

You need to pay telephone service thus DSL subscription both.

Cable subscription costs you both for tv and high speed Internet service.

I cut off telephone service. Still able to use vp with the same telephone numbers even (odd yet true) while use cable for both tv and high speed internet.

Umm. There is no best DSL or cable. It'S YOUR AREA!

Wireless is better than DSL and cable for speed and price.

10MB up/down and just $55 per month.

Back