Headphone for hearing aid users

Moeadele

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to the AllDeaf community here. I wear a hearing aid in one ear and have a profound hearing loss in the other.

The one thing that drives me the CRAZIEST about being hoh is the fact that I can't use earbuds for headphones!

In the past I have just resorted to the big kind of over the ear headphones. But I still feel extremely disappointed that when I go to the gym everyone else can wear nice little ear buds and here I am wearing these big honking headphones and getting all sweaty under them.

Does anyone know of good headphones that are smaller and can be used on hearing aids? I used a loop a couple times but it seemed to break after only a couple months and I kind of gave up on it because I didn't feel like spending more money on it when it kept breaking after a few months.

Anyone know of some good loops that last long?

I am same boat as you are. I been told there is a Bluetooth that have a smaller square looking devices where you put your hearing aides in T and it is wireless that you can easily put those small devices into your pocket or around the neck. If you have hearing aides Bluetooth then you are in luck to find those best devices out there. I hope this helps but if you need further details what I am trying to said, let me know and I will be more than happy to send you few links what I am talking about.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I use the DAI connector with my HA - way better than headphones!

Three ways to approach it FM, bluetooth, T-coil:

Set the aid to T-coil and max the volume will cut out backgroup noice when wearinga set of headphones(zero extra cost).

Edit: I have a set of dynamix digital headphones(they are not bluetooth) but fit over the back of the ear OK.

If your aid has bluetooth capability, look for a bluetooth system for your aid.

If your aid has an FM adapter, look for an FM system for your aid(more expensive).

The name of the system depends on the hearing aid.

e.g: Phonak aids use smartlink FM system and ComPilot bluetooth sytem.

I quite agree........I LOVE (sarcasm) those giant headphones!
Well, if you can hear real good with larger earphones, why not! ;)
I use large ones myself... with good hear or not, you get far better sound with them than ear buds any day. I use these which cover my hearing aid and ear:
Sennheiser - Professional Monitoring Over-the-Ear Headphones

Hi everyone,

I am new to the AllDeaf community here. I wear a hearing aid in one ear and have a profound hearing loss in the other.

The one thing that drives me the CRAZIEST about being hoh is the fact that I can't use earbuds for headphones!

In the past I have just resorted to the big kind of over the ear headphones. But I still feel extremely disappointed that when I go to the gym everyone else can wear nice little ear buds and here I am wearing these big honking headphones and getting all sweaty under them.

Does anyone know of good headphones that are smaller and can be used on hearing aids? I used a loop a couple times but it seemed to break after only a couple months and I kind of gave up on it because I didn't feel like spending more money on it when it kept breaking after a few months.

Anyone know of some good loops that last long?

If you can-throw out the headphones and buy hearing aids like my Phonaks, that will allow you to stream music, tv directly into your hearing aids using Bluetooth. My IPAD now streams sound directly into my hearing aids. I now also have my cell phone bluetoothed to them. No more headphones except for when I'm sleeping :)

Shouldn't be wear headphone or earbuds in the gym anyways.
Should be working out and concentrating on that, not listening to whatever. ;)

When I work out, I take my hearing aid off as not to be distracted while working out.

Shouldn't be wear headphone or earbuds in the gym anyways.
Should be working out and concentrating on that, not listening to whatever. ;)

When I work out, I take my hearing aid off as not to be distracted while working out.

actually a lot of people work out better while listening to music because they're not distracted by other people and what they're doing.

actually a lot of people work out better while listening to music because they're not distracted by other people and what they're doing.

Nope, being more distracted listening to music and not concentrating on a good workout. Listening to music and you flow through you workout and no way give 100%. The folks listening to music never last out the year in a gym... you watch.

I am a former fitness center owner and know these things.

Nope, being more distracted listening to music and not concentrating on a good workout. Listening to music and you flow through you workout and no way give 100%. The folks listening to music never last out the year in a gym... you watch.

I am a former fitness center owner and know these things.

ok maybe for YOU! I know MANY fit people who go to the gym everyday or every few days all the time who listen to music..i'm one of them..so that's your opinion. I don't care if you're a former fitness centre owner ...that means what..the people in YOUR gym aren't good at working out and concentrating..doesn't mean everyone else in the world is the same.

ok maybe for YOU! I know MANY fit people who go to the gym everyday or every few days all the time who listen to music..i'm one of them..so that's your opinion. I don't care if you're a former fitness centre owner ...that means what..the people in YOUR gym aren't good at working out and concentrating..doesn't mean everyone else in the world is the same.
Well then, I BET you have NOT lasted a year without missing workouts in any gym or fitness center ;)

I was a gym owner 8 years and Golds Gym Manager 8 years. I saw that people using aids (ear buds) to distract them from working out never lasted a year.

I"m done here... made my point.

Actually the whole point of the previous post is to say that NO I don't. I go to the gym religiously and listen to the music all the time...but thanks for coming out...

but remaining ON TOPIC...

I use iCom through my hearing aids or beats Solo. They're not too big which is nice..I have a small head and face and the solos don't make me look or feel like I look stupid. The sound is also not bad and they get the job done.

There are ear clip style headphones on the market that sit over your year, similar to a BTE hearing aid. They are about the size of your ear but don't have a band that goes around your head. They would have wires similar to ear buds. Not tiny like ear buds but better than looking like you walked in from the 70's.

I have to watch tv or listen to music too--just way to boring otherwise :D.

This reply is over a year due... I just started surfing the internet again looking for ideas for listening to music with my hearing aid.

What kind of Phonak hearing aid do you use??

If you can-throw out the headphones and buy hearing aids like my Phonaks, that will allow you to stream music, tv directly into your hearing aids using Bluetooth. My IPAD now streams sound directly into my hearing aids. I now also have my cell phone bluetoothed to them. No more headphones except for when I'm sleeping :)

What kind of hearing aid do you use??

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I use the DAI connector with my HA - way better than headphones!

How does the DAI connector work? Do you need to buy it? Does it plug right into headphone jacks on the computer, iphone, ipod etc.? Do you plug it into your boot?

My boot doesn't have anything to plug a device into. It uses FM signal to connect to my FM.

Also for those who recommended FM use, I haev the SmartLink FM system by Phonak, but I do not find it that convienet to use. You need to plug a jack into the FM and the iPod/music device. And than you have quite a bulky thing to deal with, and I do not really want to bring my FM to the gym as its quite bulky and also when I go running, I can't fit the iPhone and the FM hooked up to each other in my pocket.

Also, the other day, I was riding the bus, when I all the sudden picked up music in my hearing aids.

I don't know if it was someone using Bluetooth (I don't think my hearing aid has bluetooth though, I have the naida SP). Or if it was an FM system someone was using on their iPod, I thought I might have heard a radio station like some people talking like they do on the radio but I couldn't tell cause than I heard a lot of music playing. It was nice to listen to some music for my hour commute on the bus/train! Just wish I knew where it was coming from.
Or was it someone who had a hearing aid too and somehow had it hooked up to FM?? Don't know.

But any ideas, for capturing an FM system without an FM system. For example, is there a way to buy an FM reciever for iPod/phone then put it on same channel as hearing aid?

Back