LIFX bulbs

Riley1870

Reaction score
A brighter way to
think about fire safety
If Nest Protect detects smoke or CO, LIFX bulbs can flash red to let you know there might be danger and help signal those who are hearing impaired.

http://lifx.co/partners/nest/

Same with Phillips HUE

Can even use it as wake up alarm if one wishes, my wife loves it.

It can be programmed and integrate pretty much anything one wish for, even incoming videophone calls, timer for cooking or whatever the timed project needs, and so on.

it looks to me like both are pretty similar...

with the LifX one you need to get the Nest device (99.00) AND the lifx bulb (single is 99.00). With Hue a starter kit is 188.00 (at [ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_89_0?rh=n%3A228013%2Cn%3A322525011%2Cn%3A2314207011%2Ck%3Aphilips+hue%2Cp_89%3APhilips&keywords=philips+hue&ie=UTF8&qid=1410422225&rnid=2528832011]Amazon[/ame] ).

Interesting that the lifx one will also work with the Nest Thermostat.

guess it's just a matter of preference :)

Right, you can turn it off using your smartphone, just don't turn off the power itself.
Or you could use HUE TAP to create 4 different scenes.

My wife been using as alarm clock in the mornings for more than a week and it works fantastic. She seems prefers fading than flashing.

if swtich is off, they won't work?

FYI there are two different HUE models

"Phillips HUE" that offers full choices of colors

"Phillips HUE LUX" is just a warm white, no colors and cost half of "Phillips HUE"

I ended up without LUX because I wanted choices of different color to be able to identify what alert it is reference to.

Once I move away I just might try this Hue thing... sounds like something that would work well for me. Question.. how do you set it up for the door? Considering I usually live in apartments a doorbell flasher installation may not be the best thing to do (from experience with my first apartment and the fact I seem to move more than I ought to).

Would it pick up somebody knocking or use of a 'normal doorbell' that can just be stuck on. Sorry- my mind is still stuck on the old kind I had (or still have - needs to be tossed) that was a wired transmitter and remote receivers.

Back