Sign Language Rights!

Very true! I agree with this man. We all should keep ASL goin' without stop. ASL is very valuable for the deaf, HoH and CI children. It will benefit them greatly. Let's give them a chance to learn ASL before it's too late.

Wow!!! Very Very powerful and moving!!!!

Everything he has said is what Jillo, Deafdyke, Cheri, Angel, and I, along with many others have been saying along but yet our message is being ignored.

He said hearing children are given the opportunity to learn sign language so their language development can develop to higher literacy rates but yet, sign language is being denied to many deaf babies.

WHY???? :pissed::pissed:

I know who this guy Gary which was former in same as my school .. I agreed with this guy as well what he saying :)

Everything he has said is what Jillo, Deafdyke, Cheri, Angel, and I, along with many others have been saying along but yet our message is being ignored.

He said hearing children are given the opportunity to learn sign language so their language development can develop to higher literacy rates but yet, sign language is being denied to many deaf babies.

Very good question there Shelie, I wish I knew the answer but sadly I don't...

This is a very powerful message...Thanks for sharing this with us Icetearulzie

Edit Is he voicing this too? the reason why I asked, in case some hearing parents don't understand Gary's signs on the video...

Edit Is he voicing this too? the reason why I asked, in case some hearing parents don't understand Gary's signs on the video...

No, Angel, this man is deaf; a perfect example of ASL at it's purest. There are some deaf bloggers who now caption their own vlogs and that takes some skill and as technology makes it easier and easier for those who want important messages to go to hearing parents and others interested.

If this message you just saw becomes really hot, maybe some friends of his will suggest and assist him with captioning it.

Yes very good question. I know that NZ is not as cut and dry as USA concerning sign. Things are growing slowly and for the better. NZSL is an official language in NZ and intoduced into our school curriculum.

I think parents and government needs to wake up and smell the bloody coffee. Of course parents are making the effort but I think there should be a political stance to introduce ASL into the homes, and show the importance of sign language on child development especiall with younger d/Deaf

I agree with this guy 100 percent, This is what I've been saying to those hearing parents of deaf children and I know many of us have. The fact has proved the way we told those parents.

The role of sign language been around for a very long time, It should included in those deaf children's lives. Hearing parents of deaf children should focus their child on language learning with speech and signs not by listening with the ears. It does not help the child develops good language skills. It is very important for those kids acquire literacy skills and it's an important information for those parents to re-consider.

I think it's excellent that many deaf children can speak, but signs must be included to get far in advance with their language development. :)

I dont expect u to answer...I just would like to know why the oralists are so resistant to sign language when it has been proved to increase literacy skills in deaf/hoh kids. Heck, it is even raising literacy skills in hearing kids too!

I can make a transcript of Gary's message if anyone wants?

I dont expect u to answer...I just would like to know why the oralists are so resistant to sign language when it has been proved to increase literacy skills in deaf/hoh kids. Heck, it is even raising literacy skills in hearing kids too!

I can make a transcript of Gary's message if anyone wants?

I guess the oralists are going to have to enlighten us as to their logic. I suspect what the true answer is, but will refrain from speculating.:giggle:

BTW...thank IcedTeaRulz for the powerful message.

Just because someone speaks very well and doesn't use sign doesn't mean that they can understand what you're saying...

I am just learning sign language and do not know enough yet to understand this video....I will watch it again in a few months I guess!

Just because someone speaks very well and doesn't use sign doesn't mean that they can understand what you're saying...

And that is exactly the point, morbid-mongoose. Communication is dyadic, and is dependent upon both receptive and expressive abilities.

People do not grasp many concepts that seem like common sense to me....I told a lady who knows me well that my b/f and I had started taking a sign language course, she asked me why we would learn sign! Duh, someone should have figured out I was freaking deaf when I was a child and taught me an augmentative communication system. Yes, I speak very well, but can't hear well! Ok, rant done for now, hugs!

People do not grasp many concepts that seem like common sense to me....I told a lady who knows me well that my b/f and I had started taking a sign language course, she asked me why we would learn sign! Duh, someone should have figured out I was freaking deaf when I was a child and taught me an augmentative communication system. Yes, I speak very well, but can't hear well! Ok, rant done for now, hugs!

Yeah, my mom doesn't get why I'd want to learn sign either. I really don't get it. I've had other people act confussed too when I've told them I want to learn. What's up with that? :squint:

Yeah, my mom doesn't get why I'd want to learn sign either. I really don't get it. I've had other people act confussed too when I've told them I want to learn. What's up with that? :squint:

Same here with my mom when I told her of my decision to go to Gally. My brother was already a freshman there at the time so she expected him to go there since he grew up Deaf. However, she saw me as her "hearing child so she was all "why would u want to go to a deaf college when there are plently of good other colleges u can choose from." She didn't understand my need to learn more about ASL and Deaf culture. Her comment was "you always got along with your (hearing) friends..what's wrong with them?" she had no idea so it was interesting to see her reaction since she has a son who grew up with ASL and Deaf culture. Doesn't make sense, doesn't it?

Back