Text-Messaging Ban begins Jan 1, 2008...

Another driving hazard to cell phones is people fueling at gas pumps and also talking or texting on their phones despite the warning signs against it.

Every summer, many users of cell phones spark lethal explosions at gas stations.
While happens, this is an exaggeration. It's mostly myth.
Only a few per decade, actually - according to Internet sources.

A normal legal HandsFree system is actually more lethal than the once-every-few-years cellphone-initiated explosion in the US. Far more people died from distractions with legal handsfree phone systems today. New cellphones have been made much safer, although sparks can come such safer phones from a malfunctioning cellphone-vibrate motor, to things like dropping a phone and the battery popping out and short circuiting, or malfunctions in a phone severe enough to cause it to overheat. Also, remember how 1990's cellphones tended to heat up, and most modern 2007-era phones don't even get warm to the touch?

Also, most of the gas station explosions come cause from static electricity shocks touching the car when people are getting into and out of their car, not by cellphones. This has been proven as fact.

Yes you are right that at least a few phones contributed (I can only find about three worldwide in the last 10 years)
Still better safe to be sorry, but I take issue with your use of word "many".
Please give me proof of 10 links to cellphone explosions in USA during the last year -- I bet you won't find any.

Good research on Google:
cellphone explosions gas station - Google Search

Interesting tidbit: Mythbusters also tested this [YouTube link] - "BUSTED!". They also agree with this, as being highly unlikely. Text for deafies: [Mythbusters episode2].
People like you complained to Mythbusters. They even revisted it in Episode 14, and was "BUSTED!" again.
(Mind you, though, I tend to trust more rigorous scientific testing though than Mythbusters, than television testing, but Mythbusters is still an interesting footnote here.)

Conclusion: Since it has happened only a few times in 10 years and none recently, it's pratically a non-hazard among 300 million Americans. You are more likely to be struck by lightning.

Last edited:
That's good information, Mark. Thank you. I never use my cell phone (text only) at gas stations here in Oregon, because warnings are posted on most pumps, but your information makes me feel better about others all around me blabbing away while being fuelled.

I am deaf and I can hear on the phones, but I hate it when ppl just talk and talk and talk, instead of saying hang on, my sis, friend or whoever needed something. It bugs me, i work in Krogers and ppl would be talking on the phone and I would try to ask them for their points card or a question, they get all ignorant with me. So I would stand there until they were done talking so I can do their orders. Gah it is rude.

I can understand banning Txt Messaging while driving. It is very very dangerous. It happened in Pa, a young 18 yr old driving with 3 of her friends, too busy texting and not paying attention to the road. Lost control, killed 2 of her friends and her self.

It happened to me many times. When I was driving and follow the speed sign but the car front of me were driving slow. I was like oh boy, whats going on? In few mins later, the car turn left or right. I looked at the driver and saw she or he was on cellphone. I said to the car "Geez, get off the f**king phone" and drove off!!

Not only do they make it more dangerous and frequently cause accidents, they always look at YOU like it was YOUR fault that they weren't paying attention. Nice, right?

Haha people on phones are so irritating! Using a cell while driving is banned in Chicago already. Sometimes, though, I just need to pick up the phone and call someone to ask, "Is it this street or this one?" or, "Could you check to make sure I turned off the oven?"
...Well really, we can't have the house starting on fire, right? ;)

Back