Deaf and Dumb School

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Deaf and Dumb schools were in late 1800's and early 1900's

Quiz: How to sign "deaf and dumb"?

You talking about History? I learned from Deaf Studies class. I personally not like that word say Deaf and Dumb or Deaf for Dumb. I thought it's offensive. It's my opinion.

You talking about History? I learned from Deaf Studies class. I personally not like that word say Deaf and Dumb or Deaf for Dumb. I thought it's offensive. It's my opinion.

Ask question what sign for it. I will check someone s correct sign to answer.

Sign for deaf and dumb is actually index finger from ear to mouth.

The sign for deaf is really " ear+closed"

When it reaches the mouth that is the indication of dumb as in "no speech"

You are prefect!!! You got A++++. I know that Almost deafiies have confused that dumb means "S" on forehead.

The word for Deaf and Dumb back in the old days. I learned that it is suppose to be use your finger like number one from ear to mouth for Deaf and for the Dumb you close your hand like a alphabet A and hit your forehead. We did not like this term for Deaf and Dumb. But that is what the hearing people call us like that. :ugh: :roll:

Yeah, I agree with Botti. I remember the word. It's offensive by hearing people. Because not want to hear a word and speech. Several people called deaf with sign language is dumb. They don't understand about sign language to communicate instead of speak and hear.

You are prefect!!! You got A++++. I know that Almost deafiies have confused that dumb means "S" on forehead.

Is that sign for Dumb "S" on forehead? How about "A" on forehead? I saw the people use 2 different letter sign.

Is that sign for Dumb "S" on forehead? How about "A" on forehead? I saw the people use 2 different letter sign.

That sign though on forehead means "stupid" It is different from the "dumb" sign at mouth that only means no speech.

The word for Deaf and Dumb back in the old days. I learned that it is suppose to be use your finger like number one from ear to mouth for Deaf and for the Dumb you close your hand like a alphabet A and hit your forehead. We did not like this term for Deaf and Dumb. But that is what the hearing people call us like that. :ugh: :roll:

Yes. All schools s name had changed from "deaf and dumb" to "deaf" since late 1940's or early 1950's

yep - "DEAF" + "NOT+TALK" ... or at least here that's how we sign it

what's the prize???

I was wondering about that too. I've always used the "A" to indicate "dumb" (as in dumb, not as in mute.)

Dumb has always meant as slow or low intelligence, mute means lack of speech.

I believe that the sign you were talking about is more of deaf-mute, not deaf-dumb.

Deaf-dumb is inaccurate as it implies that low intelligence comes with deafness. Deaf-mute is inaccurate as it implies deaf people cannot speak.

If you cannot speak, then you're mute. No offense should be taken to that.

Dumb has always meant as slow or low intelligence, mute means lack of speech.

I believe that the sign you were talking about is more of deaf-mute, not deaf-dumb.

Deaf-dumb is inaccurate as it implies that low intelligence comes with deafness. Deaf-mute is inaccurate as it implies deaf people cannot speak.

If you cannot speak, then you're mute. No offense should be taken to that.

WRONG!

dumb - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

It comes from a root word meaning to be unable to speak.

Back