Canada's Trudeau sweeps to victory, toppling Harper in election

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, wow, Canada's doing the same thing as the US--electing family members of previous leaders!

I remember his dad, Pierre as Prime Minister.

I don't know about this trend--first the Bushes, then the Clintons, now Trudeau….

Oh, wow, Canada's doing the same thing as the US--electing family members of previous leaders!

I don't know about this trend--first the Bushes, then the Clintons, now Trudeau….

Yep! Human nature to go the path of least resistance!

Instead of thinking about who they are and their voting trend, They see name and go oh I know what name and vote for name.

Good reason why USA was designed to be a republic instead of democracy.

Yes, I notice that.

Remind me of monarchy - they come from family generation.

Yep! Human nature to go the path of least resistance!

Instead of thinking about who they are and their voting trend, They see name and go oh I know what name and vote for name.

Good reason why USA was designed to be a republic instead of democracy.

USA is republic because they are not monarchy or commonwealth, unlike Canada and Australia - they are commonwealth under UK.

USA is completely independence since 1776 and their government is run by republic - not relative to Republican Party (they are party with different philosophies).

There is similar between US and Canada - federal representatives are run by district and the district has to redrawn over time when population changes. They are running different system - congress and parliament. Canada doesn't have gerrymandering issue because they are redrawn by independent agencies, but in US, gerrymandering is big issue because most redrawn are done by state legislature - that why we are stuck with most of incumbent politicians or same parties for years. If gerrymandering isn't issue so we will see major shift between R and D over years.

The parties have been evolved a lot and Democratic Party was conservative in 19th Century, but most of them are left nowadays (major change was in 1960s - known as progressive). Republican Party is split into several classes, such as faith (progressive - started in 1970s) and business (classic/traditional/libertarian).

Interesting, the conservative in UK and Canada is based on toryism - they are middle of R and D.
http://www.thewire.com/politics/2013/08/how-conservative-would-uk-conservatives-be-us/67930/

they loved Trudeau snr even with all that scandle with the wife

USA is republic because they are not monarchy or commonwealth, unlike Canada and Australia - they are commonwealth under UK.

USA is completely independence since 1776 and their government is run by republic - not relative to Republican Party (they are party with different philosophies).

There is similar between US and Canada - federal representatives are run by district and the district has to redrawn over time when population changes. They are running different system - congress and parliament. Canada doesn't have gerrymandering issue because they are redrawn by independent agencies, but in US, gerrymandering is big issue because most redrawn are done by state legislature - that why we are stuck with most of incumbent politicians or same parties for years. If gerrymandering isn't issue so we will see major shift between R and D over years.

The parties have been evolved a lot and Democratic Party was conservative in 19th Century, but most of them are left nowadays (major change was in 1960s - known as progressive). Republican Party is split into several classes, such as faith (progressive - started in 1970s) and business (classic/traditional/libertarian).

Interesting, the conservative in UK and Canada is based on toryism - they are middle of R and D.
http://www.thewire.com/politics/2013/08/how-conservative-would-uk-conservatives-be-us/67930/

Really? Howcome we have 13 states that called themselves Commonwealth. Like Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Commonwealth of Virginia, and so on.

USA is democracy, if there isn't democracy there won't be any votes.

Sorry, you better hit history lesson once again, NO USA was not completely independent from UK in 1776, it is September 1783 that is when USA finally officially become independent from UK. On July 4th 1776, We the People of the United States >>>DECLARED<<< independence, remember the keyword "Declare" It does not mean it is official after all. To prove this, check this URL, it explained clearly https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080203161258AA6EXAl

I know its common that Americans confuses the meaning of word "Declaration" in the Declaration of Independence phrase. That is when America revolution war against UK began, not the end. UK finally agreed to America's Declaration of Independence on September 3, 1783.

I am here only to clarification the confusion on term "Declaration".

I know the history of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I am native PA, and I grew up in PA and still love Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, grassroot of USA independence.

Last edited:
Soon Canada will be like Colorado, full legalize Cannabis outright.

I am not too crazy about this trend , I want to see some new blood in the White House.

Really? Howcome we have 13 states that called themselves Commonwealth. Like Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Commonwealth of Virginia, and so on.

USA is democracy, if there isn't democracy there won't be any votes.

Sorry, you better hit history lesson once again, NO USA was not completely independent from UK in 1776, it is September 1783 that is when USA finally officially become independent from UK. On July 4th 1776, We the People of the United States >>>DECLARED<<< independence, remember the keyword "Declare" It does not mean it is official after all.

I know the history of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I am native PA, and I grew up in PA and still love Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, grassroot of USA independence.

Why you didn't bother to response to SB's post? He basically said that our country is republic, not democracy so I told him - that's between republic and monarchy. I already know that election in US is traditional democratic and we have rights to vote to elect the representative, except if you are convicted of felony charge or mentally unstable.

I don't agree with you - USA is 100% independent from UK, that's official and UK accepted our independence after many years of war. Our government has zero connection with UK. You should think about common laws and court system that influenced from UK. Based on your logic, it means our country would run by parliament, prime minister, governor general and see states as province, that doesn't make any sense. - See UPDATE below.

That's not what I saying about commonwealth term.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations

Canada and Australia are commonwealth under UK.

UPDATE: My section about independence is misconception so special thanks to DB for clear up via PM.

Last edited:
I wonder why it was put in the religion section which is banned in the first place? :hmm:

Well, he is young and is liberal. I am liberal if I was in Canada, but I could not vote because I was a Canadian resident instead of full Canadian citizen.

But anyway, I was susceptible about Justin Trudeau being a young Prime Minister of Canada. His father was former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau years ago. He was not a very good Prime Minister with First Nations across Canada like ex-Prime Minister Stephen Harper. So I hope he will make a good deals with First Nations across Canada and yes, it would be good idea to have marijuana become legal. This is better than alcohol which alcohol should be ban.

He seem different than his father. So I hope everything will work out for Canada. They will see how things work out with him. :fingersx:

It's not only religion section... politic discussion is also banned here as well.

I wonder why it was put in the religion section which is banned in the first place? :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back