What color is your t.v. closed captions letters?

Wirelessly posted (MyCellyTelly)

Ok, why, do i get the random colored cc at the end or beginning of a tv show? Like the previous poster, it will be one or two strips of red or blue, but thats it. Also, why does it come out as plain gibberish and random chartacters, every now and again? Thats so annoying to me, when it happens in the middle of something i am enjoying watching... And one more question- although i have watched tv with cc all my life (as a child it really aided me in my spelling and reading skills, as a hearie) as an adult, who is dependant on it now to follow whats happening in the show, i guess i never bothered to find out what the difference was between cc1 cc2 text1 and text2 etc.... Can anyone explain all that? Thanks. -Desiree-

Hi Desiree! Hey. we have the same name. Cool! I've never met another Desiree before.

I too have wondered about the cc1 cc2, and text 1 and 2. I've tried all options, but have never figured it out what the last three are. I think the text options gives you a big blob of text. When I tried it once, I got a big black square on my screen. :hmm:

bibliotech said:

Ok, why, do i get the random colored cc at the end or beginning of a tv show? Like the previous poster, it will be one or two strips of red or blue, but thats it. Also, why does it come out as plain gibberish and random chartacters, every now and again? Thats so annoying to me, when it happens in the middle of something i am enjoying watching... And one more question- although i have watched tv with cc all my life (as a child it really aided me in my spelling and reading skills, as a hearie) as an adult, who is dependant on it now to follow whats happening in the show, i guess i never bothered to find out what the difference was between cc1 cc2 text1 and text2 etc.... Can anyone explain all that? Thanks. -Desiree-

Hi Desiree! Hey. we have the same name. Cool! I've never met another Desiree before.

I too have wondered about the cc1 cc2, and text 1 and 2. I've tried all options, but have never figured it out what the last three are. I think the text options gives you a big blob of text. When I tried it once, I got a big black square on my screen. :hmm:

Desiree, hey i saw your post about learning asl the other day, and noticed your name ans that we are relatively close in age... Switched at birth maybe? Well i find cc1 and cc2 google-worthy. I will letcha know when i find out.

Desiree, hey i saw your post about learning asl the other day, and noticed your name ans that we are relatively close in age... Switched at birth maybe? :giggle: Well i find cc1 and cc2 google-worthy. I will letcha know when i find out.

That would be great. We should keep in touch. I read in one of your posts how you are a medic and firefighter? That's really interesting. I am sure you have many interesting stories to tell!

bibliotech said:

Desiree, hey i saw your post about learning asl the other day, and noticed your name ans that we are relatively close in age... Switched at birth maybe? :giggle: Well i find cc1 and cc2 google-worthy. I will letcha know when i find out.

That would be great. We should keep in touch. I read in one of your posts how you are a medic and firefighter? That's really interesting. I am sure you have many interesting stories to tell!

I have a few!! You know i was actually going to im you and let you know i never met a desiree i didnt like!! i am leaving this thread and going to private message you if its alright, since we are off topic.

I have a few!! You know i was actually going to im you and let you know i never met a desiree i didnt like!! i am leaving this thread and going to private message you if its alright, since we are off topic.

Certainly! I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Don't USA captions on TV change colour for different people speaking?

Like howag say above, our TV does and it really useful in case you miss out who is speaking. DVDs in UK are all in one colour, it only happens on TV.
Unfortunately, we don't have it in America. I remember that it was talked about a long time ago but I guess our TV networks are not favoring it.

Edited: Sometimes it shows a character's name when he/she's speaking in the background. EX: [David] blag blah [Jane] blah blah

I dont know... :dunno: My tv is flat-screen and I dont have cc1 and cc2. My old tv did and I remember I couldnt get cc on cc2. Maybe you can if your tv is on mute? IRDK. (i really dont know) something like that...

I still have yellow CC :)

Caption channels
Telemundo bug touting CC1 and CC3 captions.

The Line 21 data stream can consist of data from several data channels multiplexed together. Field 1 has four data channels: two Captions (CC1, CC2) and two Text (T1, T2). Field 2 has five additional data channels: two Captions (CC3, CC4), two Text (T3, T4), and Extended Data Services (XDS). XDS data structure is defined in CEA–608.

As CC1 and CC2 share bandwidth, if there is a lot of data in CC1, there will be little room for CC2 data. Similarly CC3 and CC4 share the second field of line 21. Since some early caption decoders supported only CC1 and CC2, captions in a second language were often placed in CC2. This led to bandwidth problems, however, and the current U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) recommendation is that bilingual programming should have the second caption language in CC3. Telemundo, for example, provides English subtitles for many of its Spanish programs in CC3.

From the wiki-

Captioning is transmitted and stored differently in PAL and SECAM countries, where teletext is used rather than Line 21,[according to whom?] but the methods of preparation are similar. For home videotapes, a variation of the Line 21 system is used in PAL countries.[attribution needed] Teletext captions can't be stored on a standard VHS tape (due to limited bandwidth), although they are available on S-VHS tapes and DVDs.

For older televisions, a set-top box or other decoder is usually required. In the US, since the passage of the Television Decoder Circuitry Act, manufacturers of most television receivers sold have been required to include closed captioning display capability. High-definition TV sets, receivers, and tuner cards are also covered, though the technical specifications are different. (High-definition display screens, as opposed to high-definition TVs, may lack captioning.) Canada has no similar law, but receives the same sets as the US in most cases.

There are three styles of Line 21 closed captioning:[citation needed]

Roll-up or scroll-up or scrolling: The words appear from left to right, up to one line at a time; when a line is filled, the whole line scrolls up to make way for a new line, and the line on top is erased. The captions usually appear at the bottom of the screen, but can actually be placed anywhere to avoid covering graphics or action. This method is used for live events, where a sequential word-by-word captioning process is needed.

A still frame showing simulated closed captioning in the pop-on style

Pop-on or pop-up or block: A caption appears anywhere on the screen as a whole, followed by another caption or no captions. This method is used for most pre-taped television and film programming. One error for some programs that use this style is a white space will appear at the beginning of the program. Another is when the screen momentarily will, as if it was the "roll up" style, type random letters on screen, and then revert back to normal. Also, the capitalization varies based on the caption provider. Though most of the time the words are all capitalized, some caption providers will have capital and lower case letters.

Example:

(Man) I GOT THE MACHINE READY. (engine starting)

A single program may include scroll-up and pop-on captions (e.g., scroll-up for narration and pop-on for song lyrics). A musical note symbol (sharp sign in UK, Ireland and Australia) is used to indicate song lyrics or background music. Generally, lyrics are preceded and followed by music notes (or hash signs), while song titles are bracketed like a sound effect. Standards vary from country to country and company to company.

For live programs, some soap operas, and other shows captioned using scroll-up, Line 21 caption text include the symbols '>>' to indicate a new speaker (the name of the new speaker sometimes appears as well), and '>>>' in news reports to identify a new story. In some cases, '>>' means one person is talking and '>>>' means two or more people are talking. Capitals are frequently used because many older home caption decoder fonts had no descenders for the lowercase letters g, j, p, q, and y, though virtually all modern TVs have caption character sets with descenders. Text can be italicized, among a few other style choices. Captions can be presented in different colors as well. Coloration is rarely used in North America, but can sometimes be seen on music videos on MTV or VH-1, and in the captioning's production credits. More often, coloration is used in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand for speaker differentiation.

There were many shortcomings in the original Line 21 specification from a typographic standpoint, since, for example, it lacked many of the characters required for captioning in languages other than English. Since that time, the core Line 21 character set has been expanded to include quite a few more characters, handling most requirements for languages common in North and South America such as French, Spanish, and Portuguese, though those extended characters are not required in all decoders and are thus unreliable in everyday use. The problem has been almost eliminated with the EIA-708 standard for digital television, which boasts a far more comprehensive character set.

Captions are often edited to make them easier to read and to reduce the amount of text displayed onscreen. This editing can be very minor, with only a few occasional unimportant missed lines, to severe, where virtually every line spoken by the actors is condensed. The measure used to guide this editing is words per minute, commonly varying from 180 to 300, depending on the type of program. Offensive words are also captioned, but if the program is censored for TV broadcast, the broadcaster might not have arranged for the captioning to be edited or censored also. The "TV Guardian", a television set top box, is available to parents who wish to censor offensive language of programs–the video signal is fed into the box and if it detects an offensive word in the captioning, the audio signal is bleeped or muted for that period of time.

I dont know... :dunno: My tv is flat-screen and I dont have cc1 and cc2. My old tv did and I remember I couldnt get cc on cc2. Maybe you can if your tv is on mute? IRDK. (i really dont know) something like that...

I still have yellow CC :)

CC1 and CC2 share bandwidth, so when CC1 is used, there isn't as much room for captions in CC2 (which could be used for captions in another language). So when a program offers captions in another language, they'll often use the newer CC3 and CC4 (which share bandwidth with each other, but not 1 and 2) captions in a language like Spanish. Not all TVs can access 3 and 4. Mine and my mom's TVs can't, but my mom's converter box can.

Back