AMC Theatres Announce Captioning!

warpedpink

Reaction score
Cinemark, check! AMC Theaters, check! Regal, you're next in line! CLOSED CAPTIONING IN ALL MOVIE THEATERS NOW!

AMC Theatres and ALDA Announce Greater Accessibility for Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing Guests at All Digital Movie Theatres in California
Dec. 20, 2011, Kansas City, Mo. – AMC Theatres® (AMC) today announced it will install personal captioning systems for its guests who are deaf or have significant hearing loss. The captioning systems will be installed in California, and across its national circuit, on a rolling basis, in conjunction with AMC’s national conversion to digital cinema. AMC will offer closed captioning for 127 screens in California by mid-2012, and projects that number to grow to over 500 screens by late 2013.
Movie captions convey the dialogue, narration, musical cues, key sound effects, speaker identification and other auditory information, in the form of written text for guests who have significant difficulty hearing the movie sound track. Closed captions are relayed – in sync with the movie – only to guests who choose to receive them via a personal display device.
In setting the time-table for installation of captioning capability in California, AMC worked closely with the Association of Late-Deafened Adults (ALDA), an advocacy group for those who have lost some or all of their hearing, Disability Rights Advocates (DRA), a non-profit legal center, headquartered in Berkeley, Calif., and John Waldo, an attorney whose practice focuses on the needs of those with hearing loss.
“We applaud AMC’s collaborative efforts in working with us to provide closed captioning technology, which allows our constituents with hearing loss the opportunity to watch first-run movies in theatres throughout California,” said Cynthia Amerman, President of ALDA.
“We are pleased AMC chose to continue its commitment to captioning as the industry transitions from traditional film technology to digital cinema,” said Sid Wolinsky of Disability Rights Advocates.
“We commend AMC’s support for captioning,” said Elizabeth Leonard of Disability Rights Advocates. “AMC’s decision to provide captioning in its digitally converted theatres makes first-run movies available to millions of patrons who are deaf and hard-of-hearing in California.”
“The conversion to digital cinema has created new opportunities to improve closed captioning for offerings. We intend to work closely with them to make sure that we provide high quality closed-captioning systems for our deaf and hard of hearing patrons,” John McDonald, executive vice president of U.S. Operation for AMC added.
“AMC has supported and provided captioning for many years,” said Laura Franze, a partner with the law firm of Hunton & Williams LLP, who represented AMC in its negotiations with ALDA. “Today’s decision reaffirm’s AMC’s long-standing commitment to the company’s deaf and hard of hearing patrons.”
About American Multi-Cinema, Inc.
AMC delivers distinctive and affordable movie-going experiences in 357 theatres with 5,098 screens across the United States and Canada. The company operates 22 of the 50 highest grossing theatres in the country, including the top three. AMC has propelled industry innovation and continues today by delivering premium sight and sound, enhanced food and beverage and diverse content. AMC Theatres - Get movie times, view trailers, buy tickets online and get AMC gift cards..
About the Association of Late-Deafened Adults
The Association of Late-Deafened Adults (ALDA) is a not-for-profit organization incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois. The Association of Late Deafened Adults advocates on behalf of the 38 million Americans who have lost some or all of their hearing. For more information, please visit Welcome to ALDA!.

Yay! 'bout time!!

By the way, I went to see "The Descendants" with George Clooney this past weekend. Excellent movie, and I could understand a lot more of the dialogue than usual. There is less background noise (i.e., music) in that movie than most, I think. And George Clooney's diction is unusually precise, too, which makes a big difference.

Anyway, good movie. I recommend it highly.

really, "Line Closed Caption? how? like LED?
Screen is top box, CC bottom box without screen, CC will clear and black background? right? I hate OC too hard... hate mirror my neck hurts, can't move..

Screen is top box, CC bottom box without screen, CC will clear and black background? right? I hate OC too hard... hate mirror my neck hurts, can't move..

It's not the mirror thing.. I think that's called Rear Window Captioning.. I HATE that too. And the captioning isn't on the movie screen (which I actually prefer)

No, this is something else. I'll try my best to describe it.......

It's a black box with an adjustable post that fits in your cup holder. You can move and manipulate the post to your desire. The captioning itself consists of bright green letters, much like you see on a TTY, but it isn't a marquee. The captioning, instead, is very similar to what you see on your TV. What I mean by that is you have two lines that appear when the speaker (character) talks. The lines appear and disappear to match the speaker, like the captioning on your TV.

It does not reflect anything behind you. The script and information is ready inside the device.

God, I hope this makes sense. I'm high on cold medicine now. I'll try again later if necessary.:)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPqJYQiJsb8]How to use Doremi CaptiView Cinema - YouTube[/ame]

Hmm - looks a bit clunky, and might be difficult constantly changing focus from the screen to the little device, but certainly better than nothing.

Hmm - looks a bit clunky, and might be difficult constantly changing focus from the screen to the little device, but certainly better than nothing.

I can see that being a problem with some.

Sort of why it's called the ASL version.

Sorry I missed that and it is clearly shown at the start. I did miss some in switching to the You Tube version for the larger size.

Have since looked for a captioned version and have not found one. Anyone know if there is one and, if so, where it is (link).

Sorry I missed that and it is clearly shown at the start. I did miss some in switching to the You Tube version for the larger size.

Have since looked for a captioned version and have not found one. Anyone know if there is one and, if so, where it is (link).

Unfortunately, there is none. To be honest, I'm surprised there is no official video demonstration from the company itself.

Here is their link.

CaptiView | Doremi Labs

I think called "WDS", I don't remember

Frist time, I hate it I can't read subitle (black windows), my friend got idea, we went to Auto Store, I bought mirror clip, we go to AMC, i put mirror, it is working, but my neck hurts, I can't move, If I move, mirror is mising, I use move pole fall fall fall fall I upset!! i bored it and back to store, money back me,

It's not the mirror thing.. I think that's called Rear Window Captioning.. I HATE that too. And the captioning isn't on the movie screen (which I actually prefer)

No, this is something else. I'll try my best to describe it.......

It's a black box with an adjustable post that fits in your cup holder. You can move and manipulate the post to your desire. The captioning itself consists of bright green letters, much like you see on a TTY, but it isn't a marquee. The captioning, instead, is very similar to what you see on your TV. What I mean by that is you have two lines that appear when the speaker (character) talks. The lines appear and disappear to match the speaker, like the captioning on your TV.

It does not reflect anything behind you. The script and information is ready inside the device.

God, I hope this makes sense. I'm high on cold medicine now. I'll try again later if necessary.:)

Eh, it sort of is... Once you get it positioned and all set up, it's not half bad. There's definite room for improvement but it's also a huge step up from RW captioning.

wow, it is clear but NO!!!!! NO GOOD FOR Theme!!! don't understand, some people had eyeglasses or human will be problem!!! if I get CaptiView Cinema about 2-3 feets, Moive about 20 feets or more, eyes can't help both 2-3 and 20+ feets becuase eyes watch CaptiView Cinema is clear but movie will blurry, eyes move upper to movie clear but CaptiView will blurry too!!!, eyes upper lower, upper, lower eyes willl get hurts for adject len forcs (back then front back front len), I wish CaptiView is biggest with movie (movie top screen, CaptiView for bottom, togther) eyes wiill perfect!!

That is a huge step from the stupid rear window captioning. I hated it so much!

Anyway, when I went to Sequoia National Park in California....they had a documentary TV show with red lettering captioning below the TV itself, I thought it was pretty weird but it works. It was at the visitor center.

Eh, it sort of is... Once you get it positioned and all set up, it's not half bad. There's definite room for improvement but it's also a huge step up from RW captioning.

We are supposed to get it here in the first quarter of 2012. This is the first time we will be getting captioned movies in the area. I have never experienced CaptiView, but I did experience RWC a few times in a different city years ago. I can't say that I was a fan of RWC due to its extreme limitations though.

However, by looking at CaptiView, it seems like a big leap from the RWC. Do you like it? I know we would rather have open captioning, but you know how people are. Money is always the bottom line.

What are the pros and the cons of it?

I can't wait until this (or something like it) reaches the AMC theater here. My mom uses the assistive listening headphones at the one here (which are good enough for her to get the movie), but she says the sound is quite fuzzy/static-y no matter what she does, even if she goes and gets a different headset. I have to wonder if she'd go for something like this. I also wonder about the changing of focus.

We are supposed to get it here in the first quarter of 2012. This is the first time we will be getting captioned movies in the area. I have never experienced CaptiView, but I did experience RWC a few times in a different city years ago. I can't say that I was a fan of RWC due to its extreme limitations though.

However, by looking at CaptiView, it seems like a big leap from the RWC. Do you like it? I know we would rather have open captioning, but you know how people are. Money is always the bottom line.

What are the pros and the cons of it?
Captionfish.com shows 2-16 CV movies are shown at one location per week compared to 2-3 OC movies at another location per week. That's one advantage of CV. A disadvantage of CV is that it's not an open caption.

I love that idea! I would definitely use this than the rear view mirror. I hate the rear view mirror as well, it makes me feel dizzy for some reason. Plus having to adjust it and stuff it's a pain.

But what makes me mad though is how come other movie theaters don't have this kind of technology? Because every time my mother and I look in the newspaper to see what kind of movies are out there and what are good to watch, every time we see a movie that's supposely closed captioning in the theater, we go to that one and we ask if we can have something for the CC and they say oh its not CC.. :mad: it doesn't make sense either!

I love that idea! I would definitely use this than the rear view mirror. I hate the rear view mirror as well, it makes me feel dizzy for some reason. Plus having to adjust it and stuff it's a pain.

But what makes me mad though is how come other movie theaters don't have this kind of technology? Because every time my mother and I look in the newspaper to see what kind of movies are out there and what are good to watch, every time we see a movie that's supposely closed captioning in the theater, we go to that one and we ask if we can have something for the CC and they say oh its not CC.. :mad: it doesn't make sense either!

Look up Captionfish.com and select your state and nearest cities respectfully.

CV = CaptiView Closed Captioned
OC = Open Captioned
RW = Rear Window Captioned

Back