Adopting Deaf Children?

D_Marie

Reaction score
When I'm older I had hopes in adopting deaf or hard of hearing children, do you think that's a smart idea even though I am hearing? I'm learning ASL and by the time I'm an adult I would be fully capable but A deaf friend of my moms said it wouldn't be a smart idea in the fact that the child may reject me because I am not deaf. I really hope that isn't true but now it's becoming an actual concern of mine. Granted, I have a lot of time before I'll be adopting children but this has now started to worry my mind.

Thoughts?

That is a bunch of baloney , as long as you know ASL you'll do find .Don't let anyone stop you from adopting a deaf child. Children with disability
have a hard getting adopted . I know people that adopted children from China and the parents didn't know to speak Chinese and the kids has not rejected them. Children are a lot more accepting than some adults are.

Most deaf children are raised by hearing parents.

Since you're only 17, you have plenty of time to learn more ASL, and become more familiar with Deaf culture, and interact with your local Deaf community. It might be a good idea to also do volunteer work with Deaf kids like at a summer camp.

You should get established in your own life before considering the responsibility of another's life.

I'm curious--did your deaf friend reject his/her hearing parents just because they were hearing?

I can understand your Deaf friend who rejected her hearing parents.

Most hearing parents (maybe not most) get all the feedback from the hearing doctors and authorities that the hearing parents are to be instructed to fix the Deaf child with CI and forced the Deaf child to learn speech and listening while going through the mainstream schools. If there is a mainstream school where the Deaf child are not allowed to learn ASL and can not get an ASL interpreter to help the Deaf child understand what is going on in the classroom with hearing children and hearing teacher. Most often, many Deaf children would rather be in the Deaf schools where they can have the freedom to use ASL as their primary language, not second language. If the Deaf child was refused by the Superintendent of the Deaf school or the School board, then the Deaf child need parents to fight for his/her rights to use ASL and to attend the Deaf school.

Most hearing parents usually don't pay attention to their deaf children because the deaf children get frustrated not getting their needed accommodations that would help them in the mainstream schools. Parents refused to do anything to help them and just wanted them to be like the hearing people, be like the hearing parents. That is why it is not the way to go about it dealing with Deaf children, even hard of hearing children.

For me, I would like to have Deaf parents that understand about deafness better than hearing parents who don't understand nothing about deafness and need to have a mentor from the Deaf communities. I had to suffered from them and they want me to go through the mainstream schools and preferred not to sign ASL at all. Oral method and lipreading were very difficult to deal with. That is why many deaf children wish to have Deaf parents who did listen to their needs.

myself I think deaf parents (even gay one)should be asked first.
You very young maybe you work in that field for at least six years get into stable relationship then review things........Lots of kids out there who need loving parents aswel as deaf ones...If it just because ASL seems appealing then hunny you really will need to review things.
17 you bit young to be thinking having children go live your life first

To adopted.. you need to have enough money, mature age, and test to see if you both couple are fit for parents role.

I can understand your Deaf friend who rejected her hearing parents.

Most hearing parents (maybe not most) get all the feedback from the hearing doctors and authorities that the hearing parents are to be instructed to fix the Deaf child with CI and forced the Deaf child to learn speech and listening while going through the mainstream schools. If there is a mainstream school where the Deaf child are not allowed to learn ASL and can not get an ASL interpreter to help the Deaf child understand what is going on in the classroom with hearing children and hearing teacher. Most often, many Deaf children would rather be in the Deaf schools where they can have the freedom to use ASL as their primary language, not second language. If the Deaf child was refused by the Superintendent of the Deaf school or the School board, then the Deaf child need parents to fight for his/her rights to use ASL and to attend the Deaf school.

Most hearing parents usually don't pay attention to their deaf children because the deaf children get frustrated not getting their needed accommodations that would help them in the mainstream schools. Parents refused to do anything to help them and just wanted them to be like the hearing people, be like the hearing parents. That is why it is not the way to go about it dealing with Deaf children, even hard of hearing children.

For me, I would like to have Deaf parents that understand about deafness better than hearing parents who don't understand nothing about deafness and need to have a mentor from the Deaf communities. I had to suffered from them and they want me to go through the mainstream schools and preferred not to sign ASL at all. Oral method and lipreading were very difficult to deal with. That is why many deaf children wish to have Deaf parents who did listen to their needs.

I OP said she was learning ASL and know she has long way to go before she is able to adopt a deaf child. I don't see why people are closed minded
about a hearing person wanting to adopt a child with a disability , I bet the child is not going to care if their parent is deaf or hoh as long as they know ASL. People are only thinking about how it was for them gowning up deaf or hoh . The OP is very young and has plenty of time to learn all she needs about the Deaf culture and to find out more about herself . I knew a woman that was hearing and she learned ASL and got
marred and her baby was born deaf . I met the child and was she a very bright and happy child. Stop making it sound like is a living hell for deaf of hoh child to have hearing parents .

I OP said she was learning ASL and know she has long way to go before she is able to adopt a deaf child. I don't see why people are closed minded
about a hearing person wanting to adopt a child with a disability , I bet the child is not going to care if their parent is deaf or hoh as long as they know ASL. People are only thinking about how it was for them gowning up deaf or hoh . The OP is very young and has plenty of time to learn all she needs about the Deaf culture and to find out more about herself . I knew a woman that was hearing and she learned ASL and got
marred and her baby was born deaf . I met the child and was she a very bright and happy child. Stop making it sound like is a living hell for deaf of hoh child to have hearing parents .

Why shouldn't she?

Go back and read your own posts. You do the same thing all the time.

It's legitimate feelings. You are not the only one entitled to complain.

Make sure you save up a LOT of money. Adopting overseas will cost probably 50k, plus you have to have money in the bank on top of that. It already costs close to 40k now. For a healthy child, it can take 5-7 years of waiting to adopt. Special needs kids go faster. Private adoption, same cost and the mom can always change her mind and go with the child and your money. Adopting from the state will cost less, but you may have to foster to adopt and that can come with the risk of the parents getting their child back. Make sure you really know everything about adoption before you make it your choice. That is also the easy part of adoption, the money.

Back