Frustrated!

JennyB

Reaction score
I am so done with school! So DONE! I have impeccable luck with interpreters and I give up. The University is not providing interpreters for University recognized co-curriculars or events which is frustrating beyond belief but I am now seeking legal action to remedy that.

Beyond that I was having issues with an interpreter and her approach (one of those “I only interpret for the professor, hyper-over professional, code of ethics, the University is my employer so I won’t accept feedback from the Deaf person, kind of interpreter). After telling the University about the issues, which I was assured by other Deaf people and interpreters were valid concerns, and nothing happened I got the interpreters and accessibility services together for a meeting. let’s just say that the meeting didn’t go to well.

The interpreter was defensive (obviously) and continuously tried to pin things on me. For example: classes start 10 minutes after the hour, but interpreters are booked and hired from the start of the hour. This interpreter didn’t feel a need to show up at the start of hour because the prof wasn’t presenting yet and when I mentioned that sometimes students or the prof or the TA want to talk to me before the class starts she had the nerve to tell me that she has been working a long time and knows that Deaf people know how to communicate with hearing people. That I live in a hearing world and go to a hearing school so I should be able to do it without an interpreter. I was shocked that she had the nerve to say that.

The meeting got nasty and when I got home I started trying to replace her and a few minutes later was told that she quit. I was not impressed with her at all.

Something goes wrong with interpreter every term. Sometimes part of it is me and I accept that 100%. Really- there have only been problems like this 2 times all together. The other times I have lost interpreters mid term were because 1 didn’t feel qualified (and she wasn’t) but we are still on good terms and I will work with her again. One wasn’t a good match for me, we both agreed, no hard feelings and all is still fine there. Then there was one who I had a conflict with. That was both of us and the boundaries were fuzzy there from the beginning so a bit different. Today it was this interpreter I had never worked with before this term and it just didn’t work for either of us. My expectations did not match her style.

Now I am down one interpreter for one class and while I would rather be down an interpreter than have to work with her again it is frustrating. Sometimes I wonder if I am made for this University thing. At least this hearing university thing. Gallaudet is looking better and better these days and I would so go there if I didn’t have to move to a new country….

I need to vent. Thanks for reading!

Gallaudet is looking better and better these days and I would so go there if I didn’t have to move to a new country….
Jenny....you don't nessarily have to immigrate to the US. You can get a student visa.
Heck....its not like you're moving from Canada to India or something.
I think you should look into it.....Its SO MUCH easier dealing with people who know how to deal with dhh folks, rather then dealing with craptastic 'terps and disabilty services that lump you in with "just disabled folks"

Jenny....you don't nessarily have to immigrate to the US. You can get a student visa.
Heck....its not like you're moving from Canada to India or something.
I think you should look into it.....Its SO MUCH easier dealing with people who know how to deal with dhh folks, rather then dealing with craptastic 'terps and disabilty services that lump you in with "just disabled folks"

I have looked into it. I applied and was accepted...I just have my community here, my apartment, my furniture my dogs, my job....everything. We also have some fantastic terps around here and most of them are good. I have 6 this term and 5 of them are awesome. Just that one...

yes, you can get a Visa for education. Many people from all over the world come here for education.

Yep, same with JennyB. The biggest barrier for me from going to Gallaudet is the so-called "overseas" living cost. Would be nice if my economic reality is a bit different. However the people in Vic seems to be more sensitive to deaf issues than my old residential cities.

Anyway, I know what you means. I had interpreters like that before.

Yep, same with JennyB. The biggest barrier for me from going to Gallaudet is the so-called "overseas" living cost. Would be nice if my economic reality is a bit different. However the people in Vic seems to be more sensitive to deaf issues than my old residential cities.

Anyway, I know what you means. I had interpreters like that before.

This was my first direct experience with one. She kept pulling the "I have been interpreting for a long time and other Deaf people..." thing. I am going to request that the University change their contracts with interpreters to include interpreting for all interaction between me and hearing individuals in the classroom or something.

There are also issues with another interpreter and her clarity and she kept saying she thought she was clear and couldn't understand why I was struggling to understand her. Then that other interpreter chimed in by saying I probably didn't understand the content and kept going back to the content and how it must be me. I got 90% on my first assignment for the course, only last week. I think it is the interpreter...:roll: She just isn't quite clear yet but with time I am sure she will be. It is a hard course. Gah! I hate these people sometimes!

Boy that terp really doesnt know crap about Deaf people if she made a remark like that.

Jenny, I am sorry that you are going thru these difficulties. Also your situation got me wondered about the interpreter. Is she a member of OIS? If so, then report her to the OIS. Did the University have a contract with the agency, company or just interpreters only? If they had contracts with interpreters instead of the agency or company, how could they evaluate the interpreters to determine whether they were enough qualified?

The interpreter was so dead wrong that she worked for a professor or teaching assistant and everything. All interpreters work for Deaf customers because the Deaf customers have every right to feel comfortable and satisfied with their chosen interpreters. At my work, my interpreters always bring up any concerns or questions to me so we are able to work them out in our best interests.

Did you ever hear of the Dispute Resolution Process (DRP) that the AVLIC formed to facilitate any dispute between a Deaf person, an interpreter, or a professional who frequently use interpreting services for her/his work and another interpreter, agency, university or government? You can check this website: Dispute Resolution Process - AVLIC

My good friend who is a COI interpreter, is one of their Internal Resources Persons (IRPs) and she has gone to different parts of Canada to facilitate disputes. You can send me PM so I can set up a contact between you and her. :)

I'm sorry you had such bad experiences.
My practice is to show up 15 minutes before class begins, and stay as long as needed unless there is a scheduling conflict.

Techically, the terp works for whomever is paying the bill. In practice, the terp is providing service to both hearing and deaf clients.

holy crap..... what a drama! I'm sorry to hear what you're going thru, Jenny. While your terp sounds like a very disagreeable person, sometimes you gotta sit back and ask yourself if there's something about you that terp didn't like.

I hope you get it resolved with your terp!

Jenny, I am sorry that you are going thru these difficulties. Also your situation got me wondered about the interpreter. Is she a member of OIS? If so, then report her to the OIS. Did the University have a contract with the agency, company or just interpreters only? If they had contracts with interpreters instead of the agency or company, how could they evaluate the interpreters to determine whether they were enough qualified?

The interpreter was so dead wrong that she worked for a professor or teaching assistant and everything. All interpreters work for Deaf customers because the Deaf customers have every right to feel comfortable and satisfied with their chosen interpreters. At my work, my interpreters always bring up any concerns or questions to me so we are able to work them out in our best interests.

Did you ever hear of the Dispute Resolution Process (DRP) that the AVLIC formed to facilitate any dispute between a Deaf person, an interpreter, or a professional who frequently use interpreting services for her/his work and another interpreter, agency, university or government? You can check this website: Dispute Resolution Process - AVLIC

My good friend who is a COI interpreter, is one of their Internal Resources Persons (IRPs) and she has gone to different parts of Canada to facilitate disputes. You can send me PM so I can set up a contact between you and her. :)

I am not sure about her OIS status. Most working interpreters in this area are, but I know a lot of the older interpreters from the area have disconnected from OIS. I am not sure if she was one of them.

I am considering filing a complaint under AVLIC. I want to sit down and talk with the accessibility services person that was there first and I will decide from there.

My practice is to show up 15 minutes before class begins, and stay as long as needed unless there is a scheduling conflict.

Techically, the terp works for whomever is paying the bill. In practice, the terp is providing service to both hearing and deaf clients

Yes that's so true, but it seems to be the impression that the terps are for deaf people only. Even I forget that myself so thanks for the reminder.

Techically, the terp works for whomever is paying the bill. In practice, the terp is providing service to both hearing and deaf clients.

Yeah, most of my terps show up 15 minutes BEFORE the hour starts! So they would show up at 2:45, for the assignment that starts at 3:00, even though the lecture starts at 3:10. If they can't show up until right at 3:00, that's totally fine. But I expect them to be there from when they are contracted and paid. Period. I don't feel like this is unrealistic or controlling at all.

Accessibility Services pays the bill, not the professor. Her comments made it seem like she could deny to interpret for student questions and stuff too. It is just stupid.

Yes that's so true, but it seems to be the impression that the terps are for deaf people only. Even I forget that myself so thanks for the reminder.

I always correct people when they refer to them as being MY interpreters. They are OUR interpreters. Regardless, I don't take kindly to not being able to communicate with people unless it is the professor. No other interpreter has done that to me before and it seems very oppressive.

holy crap..... what a drama! I'm sorry to hear what you're going thru, Jenny. While your terp sounds like a very disagreeable person, sometimes you gotta sit back and ask yourself if there's something about you that terp didn't like.

I hope you get it resolved with your terp!

I know I can sometimes be difficult for some interpreters. I am more than just Deaf and have been called a "complex" client before. Some interpreters do well with me and understand me but some don't. She was one who just didn't. The rest of my terps this term get it though. They are all fantastic actually.

I always correct people when they refer to them as being MY interpreters. They are OUR interpreters. Regardless, I don't take kindly to not being able to communicate with people unless it is the professor. No other interpreter has done that to me before and it seems very oppressive.

Seems really controlling of the interpreter too, as she is deciding who you may talk to.

I know I can sometimes be difficult for some interpreters. I am more than just Deaf and have been called a "complex" client before. Some interpreters do well with me and understand me but some don't. She was one who just didn't. The rest of my terps this term get it though. They are all fantastic actually.

ah... then I suppose that terp isn't just patient enough for you. So it's half your fault, half her fault. Not a big deal anyway.... In this world - there are half of people who we can work well and other half who we can't work well with..... that's life.

It is not the interpreter's job to analyze your personality. If you are a difficult client making their jobs difficult, then I can understand but if it doesnt affect their jobs, then why do they worry about it?

Seems really controlling of the interpreter too, as she is deciding who you may talk to.

Yeah, there are some definite power abuse issues. I told the story to some other local terps, that I get along well with, and they were appaulled and they were terps that I work with a lot and know that I am not hard to work with. Most terps like working with me because I do a lot of work to ensure that I have what I need and they have their prep. They know that I will to what I can for them.

It is not the interpreter's job to analyze your personality. If you are a difficult client making their jobs difficult, then I can understand but if it doesnt affect their jobs, then why do they worry about it?

That's not what I meant. With my vision they need to sit closer and avoid certain colors and excessive mouth movements. Sometimes they have a hard time with how I respond to things, like sometimes I get over stimulated and take off my glasses and hearing aids and just recollect myself for a minute. This irritates some of them (though I don't expect them to do anything when I do this). I have epilepsy and often have seizures, some of them find that difficult. It isn't of concern for them but many of them have a hard time with it regardless. I am not a difficult person, but have additional interpreting needs with my vision and seizures (like my short seizures they often hold the info for the 10 seconds during which I am having a seizure - though if they didn't want to that would be fine but they all do it).

Back