Hello from Australia

KateandAmelia

Reaction score
Hi there,
My name is Kate and my youngest daughter is profoundly deaf. She wears a CI on LHS and hearing aide on RHS. She is AMAZING! All my children inspire me, don't get me wrong, but Amelia, well, she just blows me away. How hard she works to be a part of our world makes me so proud and pushes me to work harder to help her the best I can.

I just joined today and am wanting to know how to start my own social group under the community menu? Any help would be most appreciated! :hmm:

Looking forward to meeting new people, especially parents of deaf children from all over the world!

Thanks,
Kate :)

G'day Kate, welcome to AD!

I am from australia too, and one fellow CI users and one of them well known AD'er here.

Enjoy the forum.

Make sure that your daughter sign BSL (British Sign Language) or Australian Sign Language with you. You have to sign with her so that she would not get lost and being left out, even if she has CI. Never shut her out if she can only lipread and speak to you without you not signing halfway. If you expect her to go all the way with speaking and lipreading only. She will get frustrated and unhappy if you keep doing this. So for you learn to sign with your daughter. That is all I want to say. :(

Hearing people just don't get it. :(

Make sure that your daughter sign BSL (British Sign Language) or Australian Sign Language with you. You have to sign with her so that she would not get lost and being left out, even if she has CI. Never shut her out if she can only lipread and speak to you without you not signing halfway. If you expect her to go all the way with speaking and lipreading only. She will get frustrated and unhappy if you keep doing this. So for you learn to sign with your daughter. That is all I want to say. :(

Hearing people just don't get it. :(
We, Australians don't use BSL here in Australian. We use AUSLAN (Australian Sign Language) just you know...

Hi There,
Welcome to the AD forum. :wave: I lived in Australia for few years. Loved it and sorely missing life in Australia. Good to see a parent being proud of their deaf kid. We need many more parents like you!
Do keep browsing through this forum, am sure you will stumble upon a lot useful info that can help your child.
Cheers... :)

Back