Could Soft Drinks Companies Be As Evil As Cigarette Companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug5

Reaction score
They sell a product that is universally considered unhealthy. It causes tooth decay, obesity, diabetes, and potentially heart disease and cancer.

They heavilly market their product to children. Many consider sugar to be addictive. If you dont believe that, I challenge you to go a month without sugar.

One can argue, that its fine used in moderation but you can use that same argument with cigarettes. Supposedly, its 'safe' to smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day.

I realize soda is considered food but it has no nutritional value whatsoever. Just empty calories. Theres no reason to drink it unless you were starving and its the only thing available

Cancer huh? that's a new one. Rest of them makes sense however it's hard for me to stay away from soft drinks.

They sell a product that is universally considered unhealthy. It causes tooth decay, obesity, diabetes, and potentially heart disease and cancer.

They heavilly market their product to children. Many consider sugar to be addictive. If you dont believe that, I challenge you to go a month without sugar.

One can argue, that its fine used in moderation but you can use that same argument with cigarettes. Supposedly, its 'safe' to smoke 3-4 cigarettes a day.

I realize soda is considered food but it has no nutritional value whatsoever. Just empty calories. Theres no reason to drink it unless you were starving and its the only thing available

Actually, its High Fructose Corn Syrup that is addictive. Not sugar.

It's immediately noticed when you swap out to Mexican CocaCola for a bit you can drink 1/2 a bottle and be merry forgetting the rest of the bottle contents.

Do you know Coca Cola and Minute Maid are owned by same company?
Coke brought Minute Maid out.

Not surprising at all, HFCS is more addictive than Cocaine.

I find that hard to believe. I quit drinkin' mountain dew after 25 yrs. It was very simple.

People get killed over cocaine all da time.

Just my 2 cents. not lookin' for agurment. :)

Just wanna brag my teeth is very healthy and no gum desease. I cut way down on sugar. My blood sugar is under 80.

what makes HFCS different than sugar? just curious

I find that hard to believe. I quit drinkin' mountain dew after 25 yrs. It was very simple.

Just wanna brag my teeth is very healthy and no gum desease. I cut way down on sugar. My blood sugar is under 80.

Not arguing. I'm not saying it is as lethal as cocaine. I am saying it is as addictive.

Cancer huh? that's a new one. Rest of them makes sense however it's hard for me to stay away from soft drinks.

It is probably for diet soda that contain aspartame.

Actually, its High Fructose Corn Syrup that is addictive. Not sugar.

It's immediately noticed when you swap out to Mexican CocaCola for a bit you can drink 1/2 a bottle and be merry forgetting the rest of the bottle contents.

Exactly. I have been buying Pepsi throwback. It is made with real sugar.

Here's the thing: anything in excess is bad for you. If we took everything that could be bad for you off the market, there would be nothing left to purchase. I prefer to let people make their own choices as to what they will consume and what they won't consume.

In 25 years ago, it is 1986 and most soda companies don't switch to HFCS until late 80s or early 90s.

Buy Mountain Dew now and drink it.

I don't drink soda pop that much. I just wish all soda pop have regular sugar or something "healthier" than HFCS crap. Of course it's still not healthy to drink a lot of sugar based drinks, even fruit drinks that has HFCS or only has 5% fruit or even nothing in it. I hate those BS.

Oh boy - first they ban cigarettes, now it's going to be sodas?

They've already banned soda machines on school campuses. The only way to get a soda on campus is to go to a sporting event and go to the concession stand and ask for a soda.

As for me - I'm a former Red Bull Addict. I used to drink not just one or two every couple of days but more like 3-4 a day. This was when I was working at Tyson. I finally got off Red Bull for the most part about 6 months ago when I was having major stomach issues that may or may not have been related to that. Plus it was also messing with my BGL's too much. So I said enough is enough. I ended up drinking Sprite and Gatorade for about two weeks to get it right again. Anything I ate during those two weeks went right through me. I would eat then about 10-15 mins later I would have to go to the bathroom. Now I drink just Coke, and even then only about one 20 oz. bottle a day just sipping from it all day long. Occassionally if I end up having a bad insomnia fit to the point to where I only get about 6 hours of sleep over a 4-7 day period then I will have one while I am driving to give me a bit of a jolt so I don't go to sleep behind the wheel. People are surprised that I was able to quit like that. I have to explain to them that if it's messing with your body's ability to control blood sugar and anything you eat goes right through you - that's a sign that you need to put the can down and back away from it. I went two weeks like that and finally my digestive system righted itself again without the Red Bull.

Also, my head seems clearer and less foggy without that stuff. Maybe Jillio can give a scientific explanation but that's been my experience with it.

Perhaps on these energy sodas there should be warnings of high caffeine content and are addictive. My brother can't have caffeine anymore due to heart problems, so he sticks mainly to water, Kool-Aid, and decaffeinated beverages.

But they shouldn't be banned. If an idiot wants to overload on these and cause themselves problems, then it is their choice. You have to make the problem THEIR problem to deal with. It shouldn't be society's problem to deal with. JMHO.

Im a libertarian so I dont believe in banning anything. But I do think parents should be more informed about feeding their children soda. And marketing towards children shouldnt be allowed.

Or how about the sugar coated breakfast cereal? That probably contributest to ADD, when the kid has a sugar crash in school

Exactly. I have been buying Pepsi throwback. It is made with real sugar.

Here's the thing: anything in excess is bad for you. If we took everything that could be bad for you off the market, there would be nothing left to purchase. I prefer to let people make their own choices as to what they will consume and what they won't consume.
Exactly. I love Ben and Jerry ice cream but too much of it will blow my blood sugar out of control.

I always buy the one dollar kind as it has all the carbs (31 grams per itty bitty jar; dietican wants me to eat no more than 45g of carbs per meal) that I need for a meal and I tend to go overboard on Ben and Jerry so I have had to limit the amount that I eat with this ice cream (any ice cream for that matter). I have decided to incorperate some of my favorite snacks into my meal plans instead of banning them - hence why I'm having potato chips with my pork tenderlions tomorrow.

In 25 years ago, it is 1986 and most soda companies don't switch to HFCS until late 80s or early 90s.

Buy Mountain Dew now and drink it.

No, I used to drink Mountain Dew everyday for 25 yrs. I quit cold turkey. :)

Exactly. I love Ben and Jerry ice cream but too much of it will blow my blood sugar out of control.

I always buy the one dollar kind as it has all the carbs (31 grams per itty bitty jar; dietican wants me to eat no more than 45g of carbs per meal) that I need for a meal and I tend to go overboard on Ben and Jerry so I have had to limit the amount that I eat with this ice cream (any ice cream for that matter). I have decided to incorperate some of my favorite snacks into my meal plans instead of banning them - hence why I'm having potato chips with my pork tenderlions tomorrow.

That is called taking personal responsibility.:h5: Too many people want to turn their decision making responsibilities over to the powers that be. Or to be more accurate, they want to turn other people's decision making responsibilities over to the powers that be because not everyone thinks as they do.

Toothache Leads to Boy's Death - ABC News

what happen to this poor boy has me concerned as some people buy soda because they can't afford to buy healthy food. And they mostly like do not have have good dental coverage like this boy. Will we'll being seeing more people dying from toothache? And if drink a lot soda and have poor teeth and can't afford to have tooth pull it should NOT kill you! This was one of my concerned when I heard some insurance were no longer go fill cavities and if the person could not afford to have their tooth pulled they would dies! Soda
should not be sold at any schools! Soda is JUNK food at it worst!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back