How does a deaf parent communicate with their child's school?

gtanner

Reaction score
25 years ago I met my wife, and her father. He’s a giant of a man. Kind, gentle, caring and deaf.

Interacting with my father-in-law was my first real introduction to the challenges that the deaf and hard of hearing community face. I wish I could say that I get it…that I understand everything the deaf and hard of hearing go through, but I don’t think any hearing individual can truly say that.

Now I work for a software company (NexTalk, Inc.) that provides communication software for the deaf and hard of hearing. I LOVE THIS JOB. In large part because it gives me a chance, even in the smallest way, to improve my father-in-law’s quality of life.

Last month NexTalk launched the ACCESS Communication Network. It is a communication network designed specifically for the deaf and hard of hearing. As part of that network, NexTalk developed ACCESS Education Edition, a communication software program for schools. Now I understand that schools dedicated to the education of the deaf and blind may not need this kind of communication resource, but there are thousands of elementary, middle and high school campuses that could greatly benefit from this kind of communication tool. Although their students are hearing, many of their students have family members/guardians who are deaf or hard of hearing.

The ACCESS Education Edition allow schools to connect to the ACCESS network and provides communication options such as:

• Video Phone
• Video Relay Service
• Video Remote Interpreting
• Voice Carry Over
• Hearing Carry Over
• Text Relay Service
• TTY/TDD Calls (incoming and outgoing)
• Messaging
• Chat

ACCESS Education Edition can be installed on any windows-based desktop, laptop or tablet. NexTalk also offers ACCESS Home Edition and ACCESS Business Edition. All of these software programs are designed for their respective applications ( home, work, school, etc.) and allow users to communicate with each other across a secure and easy to use communication platform.

Please go to www.nextalk.com to learn more about ACCESS Education Edition. I really believe that it can improve the lives of the deaf and hard of hearing.

Back