new Oticon Chili - frustrating

fallguy25

Reaction score
I just got an Oticon Chili. My audio pretty much only goes through Oticon now, they claim Phonak's gone downhill and Starkey doesn't do well connectivity-wise.

I loved my Sumos. Like a diesel truck, which is what I need. I don't have my graph handy, but it's about a 90db loss, from birth (41 yrs ago). For some reason, Oticon saw fit to make the Chili's a little less powerful and more complicated.

Trying to replicate what I got on the Sumos and it's proving difficult. Sounds are a bit muddy, it's almost impossible to tolerate crowds, very difficult to understand people in the car, etc.

Also, anyone else experienced a clicking noise when holding an iPhone up to your ear in telecoil mode? Makes it difficult to understand on the phone. And yes, the iPhone is in "hearing aid mode".

I've had the same troubles... I went from Sumo DMs to Chili this year..boy is it different.. and not always in a good way either...:(

Can't help with the iPhone as I have an android and I've pretty much quit using it as a 'voice phone' because even with the Sumos the sound quality has gone down drastically for me in trying to hear on phone conversations.

I have an Oticon Chili and I could not stand all the beeping it did! It beeped when I turned the volume up or down and that drove me nuts , I had that turned off. And I had issues with moisture getting into and I never this happen with other HA. I wanted purple HA and my audi did not tell they would be kids friendly which is why they beeped so damn much.

Not sure, because I haven't been in the market for new aids for a while, but I think the Phonak Naidas are the most powerful for you type of loss. I would go back to your audi and tell them you want to try the Naidas. If they don't want to use Phonak, see if you can find one who will. That's what I did when my audi was "all Oticon". My current audi sells the different brands and I've always felt she'll do what's best for her patient.

I think Costco sell Phonaks now (maybe under their own name). That might be another option.

Back