Which E-Reader Do You Favor Most?

Which E-Reader Do You Favor?

• Kindle

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Nook (or Nook 2)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other brand

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I'm old fashioned, I prefer the real books.

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Hmm cool. Will check that out later on, no rush.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

E books made me think of getting one for kids because books take space and they sometimes destroy them. Maybe its more appealing to the kids. We wont have to worry about losing one of the books somewhere in the house.

Remember though if you give it to your kids, it's more fragile. If they destroy books, I wouldn't be sure they are old enough to handle the expensive electronics.

That was my thought too. I wouldn't give a child an e-book reader until they were old enough to be responsible.

That said, the Nook Color does have some neat features on it that would appeal to kids, but I would only let the kids use it under adult supervision.

I bought the Kindle for my father's birthday this summer and own the Nook Touch myself. When I was shopping for a birthday present, I didn't have any experience with e-readers. The Kindle was the one I heard about the most and had favorable reviews, plus was a good price. My dad loves his Kindle, but I do not really like it. This was the ad supported Kindle and has ads as the screensaver and on the home screen. I also don't like the navigation. I am used to my iPhone touch screen, so I think the buttons on the Kindle were a little hard to use. The Kindle has internet access and this one has free 3G. The 3G is really unnecessary unless you're going to be downloaded books away from home or a coffee shop.
I wanted an e-Reader to put PDF's on for classes to save on paper. After doing a bit of research I bought the new Nook Touch. So far I have no complaints! There's no physical keyboard on it. The are hard buttons for page turning or you can touch the screen. There is no internet browser, which is fine , I didn't buy an e-reader to check e-mail and Facebook. I haven't tried the library loaning yet, but I have heard favorable things about that. It is super easy to put PDF's and files onto the Nook. Some PDF's have a little bit of formatting problems, but for the most part it is readable. My Nook is a bit smaller than the Kindle and I think easier to hold on to.

I like the e-ink and didn't want the color Nook because you can't read the LCD in bright sunlight and it puts more strain on your eyes. The disadvantages with the e-ink are that it is in black and white and you can't read it in the dark.

I know a lot of people who have the Kindle and love it. I think it is just a matter of personal preference and if you are looking for a simply an e-reader or something that has more features.

I haven't tried the library loaning yet, but I have heard favorable things about that.

Libary loans are SUPER easy. I haven't paid for a book yet.It is super easy to put PDF's and files onto the Nook. Some PDF's have a little bit of formatting problems, but for the most part it is readable. My Nook is a bit smaller than the Kindle and I think easier to hold on to.

I agree with that too. I have a cover on my Nook and it is very comfortable to hold.

I like the e-ink and didn't want the color Nook because you can't read the LCD in bright sunlight and it puts more strain on your eyes. The disadvantages with the e-ink are that it is in black and white and you can't read it in the dark.

If that's seriously an issue for you, you can buy a little clip-on light so you can read it in the dark. I haven't tried it with that, but it looks easy enough.

I know a lot of people who have the Kindle and love it. I think it is just a matter of personal preference and if you are looking for a simply an e-reader or something that has more features.

Agreed. My Nook Simple Touch even has more features than I use (like the social networking stuff). I don't need any more stuff than what it has. If I wanted more, I'd probably buy a tablet computer of some sort. But for the moment, the Nook suits me fine.

One nifty little thing - you can click on the page and the time will come up in the upper right hand corner. That's useful when I'm sitting outside without a watch but want to keep track of the time.

I looked around at the library option and it looks really neat. I have memberships at my hometown library and the library in my university town, but I can't find any of my library cards. Can I apply for a card at a library electronically? I noticed some libraries around the country have a better selection of e-book than others.

Probably you can; see if the website of the library you're interested in says anything about it.

As for your lost library cards, they might have your card number on record someplace, or if not, you can just get a new card. I lost mine for my home-town library, paid a fee of about $5 or $10, and they just re-issued it.

Remember though if you give it to your kids, it's more fragile. If they destroy books, I wouldn't be sure they are old enough to handle the expensive electronics.

I know that. Like I said, maybe later.

That was my thought too. I wouldn't give a child an e-book reader until they were old enough to be responsible.

That said, the Nook Color does have some neat features on it that would appeal to kids, but I would only let the kids use it under adult supervision.

Yeah, we always supervise kids when they use expensive electronics.

No, I've never broken anything. But my husband has the cable box, television, DVD player, and stereo hooked up in such a complicated way that I can't figure out how to coordinate turning on the stereo with the TV (for a musical event, for instance) or the DVD, to get the right inputs and outputs properly lined up.

In his world, it's simple. In my world, it's "what fresh hell IS this??" :lol:

No, I've never broken anything. But my husband has the cable box, television, DVD player, and stereo hooked up in such a complicated way that I can't figure out how to coordinate turning on the stereo with the TV (for a musical event, for instance) or the DVD, to get the right inputs and outputs properly lined up.

In his world, it's simple. In my world, it's "what fresh hell IS this??" :lol:

LOL, kinda the same way I am. My gf has no idea what I'm doing with complicated stuff. :lol: I remember connecting the TV to the stereo system with DVD player also cable box with lot of complicated cables at my parents long time ago.

I know that. Like I said, maybe later.

Ok. My daughter had to get a replacement for her HTC Evo after letting my granddaughter handle it. It got the screen shattered when it slipped from my granddaughter's hand. :lol:

Ok. My daughter had to get a replacement for her HTC Evo after letting my granddaughter handle it. It got the screen shattered when it slipped from my granddaughter's hand. :lol:

Ouch! I dropped my phone many times and never got shattered screen or broke any parts. It must be rock solid phone for sure. I have the plastic hard cover for it to reduce damage to the phone, tho.

I like the kobo e-reader but then again I don't have much experience with the others.

With the kobo you can increase the memory with SD cards to hold more books and they have e-ink technology so there is no back light and less eye strain. It works best with e-pub format but will read pdf's as well.

It also comes with I think 100 free classics which are ok but a few I would definitively recommend not reading..

The new touch screen ones are a bit smaller but you can still adjust the font to what ever you like quite easily.

I have an older one with the rubber button on the bottom to change pages and adjust text size. The older ones are a bit slow to turn on but I find that turning the page takes the same amount of time as a traditional book. Also you can hook up to the net and download books straight to the kobo but I find it easier to hook through my computer with the free software.

My only issue with it was the lack of instructions in the box...the instruction booklet is on the kobo and a bit hard to find but there was plenty of info on google. Also the one I have doesn't have colour for pictures, but I read mostly novels and don't need the colour. I don't know if the newer models have colour screens yet though.

The battery life is good, takes an hour or 2 to charge (recommended 5 hours for first time charge) and the battery last me a week with heavy use and 2 weeks with normal moderate use. The battery lasts my sister almost a month. lol

I hears the sony e-reader was good as well but I haven't used it yet.

As for your library not having e-books yet, that's ok there are hundreds of free online libraries, I have a few links somewhere in my favorites if you're interested.

Oh my god I just ran into this video and I'm in tears dying of laughter!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKgGNPtFgd0&feature=related]Nook Color Unboxing looks like a mouth - YouTube[/ame]

anyways, I think I made up my mind, I think I'm going to go with the Nook Simple Touch. For a few reasons:

1. Although colors does bring out more to the imagination, I think my eyes could only take a LCD light for so long with words that closely together.

2. I want more of an experience of a book, so e-ink is the way to go for me.

3. I already HAVE a computer, so why would I want to buy a mini tablet when I don't really need one?

4. I'm digging the touch screen.

So all and all, I've narrowed it down to e-ink and now Kindle and Nook Simple Touch are on my mind lol

I am old fashioned, when it comes to books. I do not have to worry about my laptop dying because there is not an outlet nearby. I do not have to worry about a battery at all. I just like to sit in the shade under a tree, in the grass, and let the words of a book capture me. I love reading, with a warm blanket on the couch when it is raining outside. I just love getting lost in my books. :)

Back