New credit card...

Thats exact my definition of no such thing as foolproof security.

there is such a thing as foolproof security. try Fort Knox or White House :)

Being a sysadmin, and always checking out how things could be exploited by the bad guys, I used to drive the owners of the company nuts when I showed them stuff like how you could use certain RFID cards to open their "SECURITY" doors from a short distance away. A key reason why I wasn't a big fan of such systems. Convenience is a double edged sword sometimes.

The thing a lot of people fail to realize is you *can not* make something criminal proof, any lock a human makes another one can pick, all you can do is make it difficult enough for them to go find an easier target to go after!

what can work better is having another layer of security such as putting security guard there or having security cameras installed.

that's how it is in most college campuses with card swipe or RFID.

The owners were too cheap for any doing any *real* security. This was a company where the owners often discussed "plausible deniability". Which is another reason we didn't get along.

The owners were too cheap for any doing any *real* security. This was a company where the owners often discussed "plausible deniability". Which is another reason we didn't get along.

didn't get along? why does it matter to you? you're not in charge of it.

You know, a co-worker used to ask me the same thing over & over, much to his annoyance. So here's the answer -

I cared (past tense!) because they had a habit of "blaming" employee's for things that went wrong. (Often resulting in getting rid of employees so the owners could look like they were doing something about the "problem".)

And I care particularly when it was *me* who could wind up being sued by their clients, or worse, go to jail because of their dishonesty (which they were, quite often) while "obeying" the law (because I was the companies Network Admin). Laws, which put network admins on the hook b/c it was thought that the executive types (like them) wouldn't put the effort in doing things like security right.

But other than that, I couldn't have cared less if through their idiocy, they set themselves on fire. (Except that I would've been out of a job that much faster...)

Enuf said, I think.

You know, a co-worker used to ask me the same thing over & over, much to his annoyance. So here's the answer -

I cared (past tense!) because they had a habit of "blaming" employee's for things that went wrong. (Often resulting in getting rid of employees so the owners could look like they were doing something about the "problem".)

And I care particularly when it was *me* who could wind up being sued by their clients, or worse, go to jail because of their dishonesty (which they were, quite often) while "obeying" the law (because I was the companies Network Admin). Laws, which put network admins on the hook b/c it was thought that the executive types (like them) wouldn't put the effort in doing things like security right.

But other than that, I couldn't have cared less if through their idiocy, they set themselves on fire. (Except that I would've been out of a job that much faster...)

Enuf said, I think.

but you're the network administrator. building security is not your responsibility. if there was a break-in, that's not your problem.

Yes, the Admin is responsible for the Physical security of the servers as well! Why? Here we go again -
Laws, which put network admins on the hook b/c it was thought that the executive types (like them) wouldn't put the effort in doing things like security right.

It's all depending on capacity or size of the servers, like my work, we have teams of responsibilities, SQL admin, Security admin, Server admin and such. So, we have one team who are security engineers that are responsible for protection of our corporate and clients. If anything f*ckup, they will point at the security team and me! Why me? cuz I'm the management, overseeing all the infracture and I cannot allow to overlook something of what's missing.

Back