Definition of "book learning"

kokonut

Reaction score
Since some are trying to use the "book learning" slant as way to jab others (incorrectly so) into trying to portray them as "unlearned" ones. Just because one doesn't have an interest in a particular subject isn't any better than the next person who has an altogether different interest in another subject.

What exactly is your idea of a "book learning"? And the definition of it. Is "higher learning" to mean about philosophy or about the pure science of learning? Or is it about history? Many of these subjects can be traced back to the time of classical learning steeped in philsophical upbringing.

Be sure to keep your snide responses to yourselves in the process, too. And stay on topic for Pete's sake!

I only think of book learning by reading the book and following to do exaclty what the book says rather than practical experience. But i would prefer to do both, 'book learning and practical experience" that is working for me.

I expect people to have graduated from high school to have a basic understanding of English, math, history and science. We learn this information from books. Literature and art are ways that our culture is handed down from generation from generation.

It's ironic that you accused me of using "book learning" as an insult. Both of my parents had their GEDs. Neither one of my parents ever got a college diploma although they were smart. These parents reared an intellectually curious child who went on to earn a doctorate. My mother was a huge influence since she took me to the library regularly. My father was not intellectually-oriented but he was mechanically gifted (a gift that I failed to inherit unfortuntately). I learned a lot of things from my father from home improvement skills to how to fire a gun.

The most important thing that I've learned over the years is to have compassion for other people. People, regardless of their education or class, have the same basic needs. We need to be accepted and to belong to a community. I don't like mean-spiritedness, like making fun of obese people, laughing at someone else's misfortune, or poor people being denied basic human needs. If you look at my posts, you'll see that I always speak up about those things. When a person puts others down to build themselves up it's a sign of insecurity. I feel that being silent when someone cuts another person down is being complicit. That's why I speak out. If it makes me a target as times, so be it.

Completely on-topic.

I'm taking scouts on a field trip to the police station this evening. My little contribution to educate our youth. As, Mark Twain said, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." :wave:

"Book learning" as I see it comes from a variety of ways whether it's done through a library, at school, through your parents, life experiences and such. Call it a "book of life" sort of thing where sometimes learning doesn't always mean from a book but life itself. Of course, this is just an interpretation of mine.

Completely on-topic.

I'm taking scouts on a field trip to the police station this evening. My little contribution to educate our youth. As, Mark Twain said, "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." :wave:

I'd agree with Mark Twain on this one. I am not educated by anyone's standards (no college degree) but that hasn't kept me for tackling books like Gibbons' Decline And Fall of The Roman Empire. I remember thinking that it prolly didn't go over well with the pious men of his day the first time I read it. I've always been artistic and it seems to be a family tradition in my family.

Even though I can be a hard core intellectual, I try to keep up with pop culture as well so I'll read anything from Amazing Spider Man to Dr Zhivago.

I have no college degree, but I read extensively. I thought just the act of learning many things with or without help or a college was book learning.

Maybe I am thinking too literally.

People value "book learning" differently whether it means having a career as a result or the ability to write inspirational books, and so on.

Learning is a matter of being intellectually curious. I hate the school standardized tests. I want the kids to be engaged in learning, not learning to fill in the appropriate bubble with a number 2 pencil. I'm trained as a teacher so I've given a lot of thought to educational philosophy.

Also, modeling is critical. Studies show that children who see their parents read model the behavior and become readers. It's not reading to the kids or requiring the kids to read, it's having a model of a life-long learner. If you watch the Discovery channel or PBS specials, you fit the profile of a life-long learner.

book learning. you learn stuff from books. :wave:

Which is why I put down "book learning" in quotes as opposed to the actual book learning.

I've met a lot of people who have what you call it "book learning", but had no common sense to go with it. I've met a lot of people who were "street smart" and not "book learned", and excelled in their careers.

I think a little of all 3....book learning, common sense and street smarts, is an education you will take with you thru life.

compare that to the learning of natives (e.g. Eskimos, Indians, etc) who have to survive the outdoors rather than rely on "street smarts."

I am always told that I am "too" book smart because I try to do things by the book rather than through my own logic.

"Book learning" is no more than the ability to memorize and repeat information from print. One needs to be able to apply that information in creative and unique ways in order for that learning to be useful. It is the difference between being learned (memorization of information) and educated (the ability to apply said information in a useful and creative manner.)

Back