Torn - subtitled and a bit of faux pas signing

kokonut

Reaction score

Hilarious.

Ok. Not signing but mime-like gesturing instead.

Heh... finally saw this one Koko? Old news.

I remember it was constantly posted on Facebook back when Facebook were exclusive to college students.

I dunno. Can't really make up my mind if this is offensive or not. The title is certainly offensive: "Deaf Karoake." :roll:

Either way though, I didn't find it that funny. A few chuckles when the the guy is air guitaring, but that's about it.

Mod, please merge other 2 thread to this thread, there's no point to have 3 thread with same title. :roll:

huh..... I'm trying to figure out what's so "hilarious" about it..... :dunno:

Mods will take care of the other two by deleting them. I meant to post one with the subtitles

I don't find it offensive. A bit of miming, gesturing. Even "deaf karoke" is kind of funny, too.

I don't find it offensive. A bit of miming, gesturing. Even "deaf karoke" is kind of funny, too.

This doesn't surprise me at all, since you do not identify as deaf or Deaf or use sign language (I am correct here, right? If not, I apologize). But c'mon, you must be aware how saying "Deaf Karaoke" in a video that is using fake sign language would offend a Deaf person who uses sign language to communicate.

Why the armchair analysis? I don't question other people's identity?

I've already re-itterated that it's more like miming and gesturing and not sign language. It's the whole visual sight gag that makes it funny.

Forgot about this video, thanks for sharing :)

I think maybe a better name for it would have been "Torn with Pantomiming".
Just think how good this guy would be if he performed in ASL with how good his facial expressions are!

It wouldn't be funny since it's all about visual sight gag. Look at the gesture for "man". And the gesture for "real" as in "reeling in a line on a fishing pole" he did, and so on. ASL wouldn't be funny to a hearing audience.

I dont know what the point of this..are they attempting to be like Deaf people? If so, it was a poor attempt.

Forgot about this video, thanks for sharing :)

I think maybe a better name for it would have been "Torn with Pantomiming".
Just think how good this guy would be if he performed in ASL with how good his facial expressions are!

I agree with you..maybe a more appropriate title would have been better. :dunno:

Not the actor, he's miming/gesturing. He's not trying to be like a deaf person but more like a hearing person who cannot speak and he's miming/gesturing his way through a song. This English comedian didn't coin the words "Deaf Karoke" in the YouTube.

Here's a better vid of torn with the subtitles following better with the words and song.
=

It wouldn't be funny since it's all about visual sight gag. Look at the gesture for "man". And the gesture for "real" as in "reeling in a line on a fishing pole" he did, and so on. ASL wouldn't be funny to a hearing audience.

Yes, I noticed the usage of "reel" and for man. Yes, it may not have funny connotations in terms correctly interpreting a song in ASL as well, this isn't exactly a funny song when you read the lyrics. BUT, I am merely saying that if this guy learned ASL and say found a Weird Al song, did that. Now that would be funny for both hearing and deaf. What I did say was that he would be good in signing given facial expressions, not that this song would be funny in ASL. You interpreted that yourself :)

Here's another YouTube with the song "Where I lay my hat"

His name is David Armand

I dont know what the point of this..are they attempting to be like Deaf people? If so, it was a poor attempt.

I guess maybe two ways of looking at it. One of my friends beats it into me to not take things personally because typically, it isn't so I try to see the best side of things.
One way to take it is, maybe he's poking fun or attempting to be like Deaf people.
The other way is he's poking fun of himself and having no knowledge of sign so he uses some gestures and ends up making himself the laugh. I prefer to think of it that way, that he's being silly. I hope that made sense? :dunno:

Yes, I noticed the usage of "reel" and for man. Yes, it may not have funny connotations in terms correctly interpreting a song in ASL as well, this isn't exactly a funny song when you read the lyrics. BUT, I am merely saying that if this guy learned ASL and say found a Weird Al song, did that. Now that would be funny for both hearing and deaf. What I did say was that he would be good in signing given facial expressions, not that this song would be funny in ASL. You interpreted that yourself :)

No. You're missing the point. It's the sight gag, the gestures and miming he's doing make it funny. His "sign" for man isn't the ASL man but "signs" it describing a penis. Things like that. It's a visual sight gag that makes all so funny. He does alot of facial expressions, body language, movement, gesturing, "fake talking" and so on.

Back