Confession: A Cochlear Implant Story...

Wow! That was very touching! Very rare to see a parent to have doubts about the CI and her concerns that it would change her son. It is obvious the mother loves him for who he is and accepts his deafness. He is obviously very happy and well-adjusted despite having a tough upbringing! Thanks for sharing this story. :)

Funny that this showed up because I saw this about a week ago. I respect him and his mom for being that honest with themselves. It is a HUGE decision to make.

:ty::ty: IcedTeuRulz

Maybe because I am in a weird mood, the great way he said everything, his childhood, and because I love Thanksgiving and having thanks for who you are, but the video gave me tears. I will play it again.

Funny that this showed up because I saw this about a week ago. I respect him and his mom for being that honest with themselves. It is a HUGE decision to make.

I agree with you on the huge decision. Mine took a long time to make. It would be wrong to make a decision like this for the wrong reasons. Nice to see a happy person.

:aw:

This is one touching story, It made my eyes watering. I admire his mother's courage of accepting her son the way he is, and nothing beats that kind of love. It's makes me wanna cry again. I just wishes my mother was someone like his mother.

Yeah, this video touches my heart and makes me tear. Thought that I can share here.
I wonder- is his mother hearing or deaf? :hmm: But I'm proud of his mom accepted who he is!

Glad that this video touch ur heart.

Cheri,
I wish that ur mother accepted u and ur twin sis that u both are deaf. :hug:

Wow! Brought tears to my eyes. God knows we could use more parents like her in the world. Her son is a shining example of what acceptance and unconditional love does for a kid's self esteem and confidence.

That a nice wonderful story. I am glad to hear that his mother love him for who he is and accpet his deafness no matter what. Lot of hearing parents I know don't want to see the fact that C.I. is not a cure but just help to hear better. Some hearing parents I know have hard time to accpet deafness and rather have them to hear. But I am glad his mom love him enough to accpet him the way he is. He is lucky guy.

Wow, that's a wonderful story, indeed. Thanks to IcedTeaRulz for bringing this to our attention.

It made me think about my mother and siblings and even my deceased grandmother.

I was looking back in the past and realised that my immediate family never brought it up or persuaded me to go for it. Mum could have had me implanted any time when I was a child, but she did not.

I remember my grandmother sent articles to us, when I was about 9, the age where I didn't really understand CI, about South Australia's 1st kid to be implanted. That kid was my grandmother's grandnephew. Mum showed me that but didn't rush to do it. My grandmother, I think, has always accepted my deafness but wanted me to have options as it was.

When I was a teen at friend's b'day party. She had a friend with CI there. Mum came to pick me up after the party and saw him. Then on the drive home I brought that up, I think, and do you wanna know what she said?

She thought the CI was 'ugly'. That was her exact word.

Then as early adult I considered the CI and never did she said 'go for it'. She only said 'go for it if that's what you really want, and that the CI could help'. Needless to say, I didn't go for it.

Yeah, that story made me grateful for my family and their acceptance.

Back