Can hearing aids cause ringing/buzzing sounds?

beachie

Reaction score
Help!! Ever since last summer when I was put on meds for high blood pressure, my hearing aid would cause the ringing/buzzing sounds. It could be coincidence but I saw an audiologist and was told there aren't any more analogue hearing aids (which now I know is not true). Anyway, I got a new ear mold and a loaner to try it out. My gosh... it was fine for a week when I have it on low setting. I upped the sound. The ringing/buzzing sounds returned. Few friends of mine was told the hearing aids (both digital and analogue) maxxed out on them and was referred them to get ci which they did and love. I am resisted to getting CI. I love it when I had my analogue hearing aid. So now the question is.... is it possible that hearing aids (both analogue and digital) can cause the ringing/buzzing sounds?

It's more likely the decline of your auditory nerve.

Help!! Ever since last summer when I was put on meds for high blood pressure, my hearing aid would cause the ringing/buzzing sounds. It could be coincidence but I saw an audiologist and was told there aren't any more analogue hearing aids (which now I know is not true). Anyway, I got a new ear mold and a loaner to try it out. My gosh... it was fine for a week when I have it on low setting. I upped the sound. The ringing/buzzing sounds returned. Few friends of mine was told the hearing aids (both digital and analogue) maxxed out on them and was referred them to get ci which they did and love. I am resisted to getting CI. I love it when I had my analogue hearing aid. So now the question is.... is it possible that hearing aids (both analogue and digital) can cause the ringing/buzzing sounds?

Yep, both kinds of hearing aids can buzz if the mold is not tight enough, or if the volume is too high.
And one thing to do is ask a hearing person... Can u hear the buzz to rule out buzz ringing caused by medicine.

Bottesini... according to the audiogram, I've lost more of my ridual hearing so that could be it too.

Silent Rider... My kids who are hearing have said they don't hear the ringing sounds. The ear mold is new and snugging which is not causing the sounds.

So I guess now the real question is ...Does that mean the hearing aids are maxxed out for me to use and need to get CI in order to hear music and my kids?

Bottesini... according to the audiogram, I've lost more of my ridual hearing so that could be it too.

Silent Rider... My kids who are hearing have said they don't hear the ringing sounds. The ear mold is new and snugging which is not causing the sounds.

So I guess now the real question is ...Does that mean the hearing aids are maxxed out for me to use and need to get CI in order to hear music and my kids?

Hmm, if they don't hear it.. it might be phantom ringing sounds inside head? Have u tried the digital aids?, some are very well made to adjust to what u can hear and can't and adjustable to what u need so u wont need to Max out the volume .. just ideas. Good luck

Hmm, if they don't hear it.. it might be phantom ringing sounds inside head? Have u tried the digital aids?, some are very well made to adjust to what u can hear and can't and adjustable to what u need so u wont need to Max out the volume .. just ideas. Good luck

I am currently using a digital hearing aid on loan. It's not working out, especially with loud noises (especially my 6 year old when he gets excited) and in the car. I am also having a cold. That could be it. However in the past when I had my analogue hearing aid and with a cold, I didn't have any ringing or buzzing sounds. Even the ENT and audiologist can't understand why I am getting the ringings.

That's what I was thinking too. That it's not the aids but tinnitus.

Okay, if it's tinnitus, it only occurs when I wear the hearing aid. So what gives? In the past, when the ringing occured, I would wear my hearing aid to mask the ringings. But now, it's the opposite. The audiologist can't seem to pinpoint the problem. I am trying to get to the bottom of this before I decide to purchase new hearing aid. :)

Back when I wore a hearing aid, it seemed like it caused ringing in the ear for me too. But what was really going on was just that my tinnitus had gotten worse and more frequent, and the hearing aid somehow started to aggravate it. It's part of why I went for a CI, I was hoping it would help stop the ringing in my ears.

I used to get these sometimes when i had HA's. I would just take them out and not even listen to any noise for a whole day (if you're staying at home and not going anywhere for the day.) and then the next day i would put them back in and it would help. Even with the residual hearing losing or not, i would still get them with my HA's. to me i would just leave the aid out for a day and just let the ear relax and chill out for awhile. maybe that would help?

Back when I wore a hearing aid, it seemed like it caused ringing in the ear for me too. But what was really going on was just that my tinnitus had gotten worse and more frequent, and the hearing aid somehow started to aggravate it. It's part of why I went for a CI, I was hoping it would help stop the ringing in my ears.

...and did it work?

...and did it work?

Yes, in a way. Whenever I am wearing it and have it turned on it distracts my brain from the tinnitus and bypasses whatever it was that was making the hearing aid make it all worse. So it seems like it kills the tinnitus, although in reality it's just overriding it.

When not wearing it, though, I notice it, so it FEELS like my ears mostly only ring when the implant is off now. But it's a lot easier to deal with since I get a "break" from the tinnitus during the day when with the implants on. Additionally, the ringing isn't as severe... it's sort of like after a full day of the implant overriding the tinnitus, my brain is conditioned to cope with it better once it comes off. If that makes sense.

Yes, in a way. Whenever I am wearing it and have it turned on it distracts my brain from the tinnitus and bypasses whatever it was that was making the hearing aid make it all worse. So it seems like it kills the tinnitus, although in reality it's just overriding it.

When not wearing it, though, I notice it, so it FEELS like my ears mostly only ring when the implant is off now. But it's a lot easier to deal with since I get a "break" from the tinnitus during the day when with the implants on. Additionally, the ringing isn't as severe... it's sort of like after a full day of the implant overriding the tinnitus, my brain is conditioned to cope with it better once it comes off. If that makes sense.

That makes sense. So it must be the joy of getting older too. It's so strange that a hearing aid would aggravated rather than override the tinnitus. A friend of mine experienced the same thing and got implanted. She enjoys it but does not wear it all the time since the sounds can be over stimulating for her which will be same for me. Also my ex husband went through the same thing and got CI. He wears it the minute he wakes up to the minute he goes to bed. He doesn't get ringings in his ears like my friend who still gets them but mildly and less frequently.

I will go for a second opinion to be safe and try a loaner for abit longer to see. I will get CI but only as the last resort. I hate going through surgeries. Not my cup of tea...

@Grummer.... I like the three pictures with different facial expression. Is that you with all tht make up and hairdo?? :hmm:

Can you try a different hearing aid? I tried a loaner Oticon Chili this past summer, and was so excited about it based on so many people here really liking it.

I HATED it! I don't know if it was the adjustment, or what, but it made noises uncomfortably loud yet not at all clear. Listening to music was terrible. I tried it out for several days, and then returned it saying it just wasn't for me.

My Phonaks are now several years old, and I'd like to try the new Naidas, but in the meantime, they are much, much better for me than the Oticons were.

HA fitting is as much art as science, I'm quite sure. No one else has your ears; how you react and how things sound to you is a very personal thing. If you're not eager to get CIs, trying out a lot of different aids seems a very reasonable thing to do.

Difficult, though, since so many audis only represent one or two brands, and getting loaners is by no means always an easy thing to do. It's time-consuming to check all this stuff out.

Can you try a different hearing aid? I tried a loaner Oticon Chili this past summer, and was so excited about it based on so many people here really liking it.

I HATED it! I don't know if it was the adjustment, or what, but it made noises uncomfortably loud yet not at all clear. Listening to music was terrible. I tried it out for several days, and then returned it saying it just wasn't for me.

My Phonaks are now several years old, and I'd like to try the new Naidas, but in the meantime, they are much, much better for me than the Oticons were.

HA fitting is as much art as science, I'm quite sure. No one else has your ears; how you react and how things sound to you is a very personal thing. If you're not eager to get CIs, trying out a lot of different aids seems a very reasonable thing to do.

Difficult, though, since so many audis only represent one or two brands, and getting loaners is by no means always an easy thing to do. It's time-consuming to check all this stuff out.

Thank you!! That is what I needed to "hear". I have an appt with an audio tomorrow for adjustment on the loaner as I was hearing the high frequency sounds ( strange ). The loaner is Phonak. Maybe the Phonak isnt working for me. Like you said, everyone's ears are different. Trying different aids would be best to do before CI (if needed).

I meant I was NOT hearing the high frequency sounds. I guess that's what happens when one drinks wine. :giggle:

It could be the hearing aid or the ear mold?

When ear molds get old, they can sometimes cause feedback or sound distortions.

When hearing aids are not kept dry (using dry storage containers), they can get dirty inside and also cause malfunctions.

It could be the hearing aid or the ear mold?

When ear molds get old, they can sometimes cause feedback or sound distortions.

When hearing aids are not kept dry (using dry storage containers), they can get dirty inside and also cause malfunctions.

It wasn't that. I had gotten a new ear mold. It was tinnitus.

An interesting visit with the audiologist today.... I asked if at the end the hearing aid does aggravate the tinnitus, would CI help and be an option? She stated that I would not be a good candidate for CI because I was born Deaf and wore hearing aids since I was young. She said CIs work best for those lost their hearing after birth. I thought that was funny because many of my friends who were born Deaf, now have CIs and work fine for them. I am going to get a second opinion on the whole thing.

Back