Housing Discrimination Laws

The landlords does not install alarms for their deaf and hoh tenants but they can't refuse a tenant from stalling it themselves . I thought landlords had to do this for their deaf or hoh tenant.

That is really sad and no buddy system there.

in NYC - we have HHA (home health aide) to help out. and we have several housings with 24/7 staff for people with special needs.

in NYC - we have HHA (home health aide) to help out. and we have several housings with 24/7 staff for people with special needs.

I think where he picked the apartment is not special needs or anything. Its on his own. He no longer was in the special program from what I recalled. :(

I think where he picked the apartment is not special needs or anything. Its on his own. He no longer was in the special program from what I recalled. :(

he could have HHA assigned to him. or maybe he didn't want them. I don't know. we'll just wait and see what was the FD's finding. It will take at least 2-3 months though unless some councilman pulls some strings.

2 of my friends are HHA. I just had dinner with them last night. very very very wonderful ladies. I've learned more about what they do.

he could have HHA assigned to him. or maybe he didn't want them. I don't know. we'll just wait and see what was the FD's finding. It will take at least 2-3 months though unless some councilman pulls some strings.

2 of my friends are HHA. I just had dinner with them last night. very very very wonderful ladies. I've learned more about what they do.

I admit that I did learn about HHA. So Is HHA relates with V.R. or which dept is that? just curious.

I admit that I did learn about HHA. So Is HHA relates with V.R. or which dept is that? just curious.

certified by NY Dept of Health. and they can work for any agency that assign HHA to anybody in needs. 2 of my friends work for FEGS but.... FEGS just filed for bankruptcy so see see.

certified by NY Dept of Health. and they can work for any agency that assign HHA to anybody in needs. 2 of my friends work for FEGS but.... FEGS just filed for bankruptcy so see see.

I see. thanks!!

I was a HHA and some HHA lived with clients that had Alzheimer's . One snow storm the company I worked for made more home visits than the
Post Office did. We checked up on all our clients to made sure they had food . meds and heat . And that they were not snowed in encase they had a fire and needed get out of their home in a hurry. My clients thought I would not be there to see them b/c the storm was so bad. I would also reported when my clients laws needed cutting so it not get dried out and start a fire or made it look like no one home so one break in while my client was home.
Health aides and visiting nurses cars were getting towed during snow storms
in my city and my bossed called the city hall to see if something could be done about this. My boss had no luck so I called my mayor office and got her allowed HHA and nurses to park their cars during parking bans. My boss was speechless when I called her up about this. Yes HHA do a lot than cook meals and give sponges baths to our clients and this was why my
mayor told the polices not to tow car that had signs saying thy were HHA.

@ Reba , that exceptions made no sense at all , so it's saying a fire in a smaller building can't be deadly how insane. I hope this will change now that we had lost one of our member, I keep hoping the rules will be fixed so another deaf or hoh person does not dies a horrible tragic dead as Mark did. I been looking on line to see who I can call to voice my concerned .
I don't want to see Mark's death be in vain. I want actions to be taken . I feel we all should try to see that this "exceptions" Mark posted will be taken off the book !

http://www.access-board.gov/the-board/laws/architectural-barriers-act-aba

I just got off the phone rom taking to a woman here and think
that Fair Housing made the exceptions. The woman is going to have a guy call me back and explain to better how the exceptions work . The woman suggested putting together an email and sending to the fire department in Mark's city . I would say the exceptions has cost Mark his life and that this need to fixed , however the woman is not sure this info Mark got is correct. And the guy that will be calling me back know more about this. I will be making more phones next week and I hope other will too b/c the more people that call more people take notice and realize that we're not going to go away . I feel very strongly about this , Mark death has to mean something .

The apartment wasn't connected to the special program. He had a connection which is how he got this place.

The apartment wasn't connected to the special program. He had a connection which is how he got this place.

You don't have to live in a special program to have HHA . In my state my clients had to have some kind of P/C , personal care to have a HHA . When I first became a HHA my clients did not have to have any P/C but the insurances companies change the rules b/c too many clients only wanted housework or grocery done . If a person refused any P/C the HHA had to call the office and let them know then go to their next client .

Back