Security System for deaf people

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea how a deaf person can hear if the alarm goes off accidentally? I have had a couple of false alarms and the police dept knows about my deafness :roll:. It's embarrassing, and I hate doing this. There is about a minute of time to turn it off and the police won't come, but I forget about it completely. I don't hear it without my device on. I have tried posting stickers by the door, but it doesn't help avoid it altogether. Anyone know what is out there for deaf people? My mom gave the alarm company my cell phone, so that they text me, but they didn't. They just called :roll:.

Just a thought, is there an app you can download onto your phone and it gives you status of your alarm system?

No, I have a basic phone. I don't have the cash to pay for a fancy phone. That sounds interesting though.

Might be worth checking into cheapest smartphone you can buy and then go from there.

Maybe others would have better idea.

Good luck!

What is causing the alarm to go off accidentally? Maybe the solution is solving what's causing it to go off in the first place.

What is causing the alarm to go off accidentally? Maybe the solution is solving what's causing it to go off in the first place.

I think the OP is setting it off when s/he comes home (note his/her note about stickers by the door). I believe some alarm systems require you to "code in" whenever you enter the home.

Can't you get a light signal that is tied into the security system. I know of someone that does that. She is deaf and uses the light to help her know if something is going on. Like green is for doorbells, red is emergency and yellow is warning.

I have ADT and all my rooms have flashing light with alarms and also has an app on my phone that notifies me as well. Maybe you could do something like this

If you do not have the money and you are the one setting it off on accident... something I confess to doing quite often... one thing you van do is get into the habit of going to the alarm panel when you first come into the house and before leaving the house...
Since I have started doing this it has cut the incidents down ....

I have a service dog, which I don't need security alarm in the house :lol:

If you do not have the money and you are the one setting it off on accident... something I confess to doing quite often... one thing you van do is get into the habit of going to the alarm panel when you first come into the house and before leaving the house...
Since I have started doing this it has cut the incidents down ....

Yes, this is what I do. This is not the problem, and it doesn't happen often, but when I do, I just forget especially when I don't have my hearing aid on. Like if I wake up after a nap. I forget it's on and go out to get the mail or go to the trash can unaware the alarm has gone off.

I am not aware of how to set up the flashing lights with the different color code. Anyone have a link to show me what they look like, so I can take a look?

Back