5 Best Free Communication Apps for Deaf & HH

I use Clear Captions and the delay time is awful. I've had people hang up on me. Is there one you would recommend?

My immediate opinion is probably negative. I suspect very strongly the apps are not universal, and will not play nice with Apple, Straight Talk, and TracFone. Part of the issue for me is color. I don't see all colors well; black and white works best for me.

Back in the Ice Age when I bought my first PC, and came on line the first time, I discovered the beauty of email when I became involved with a group of like minded individuals. Email worked much better than any of the messaging systems. It still does. Since I rarely text on my cell phone, email still remains my favorite method of communication.

I use Clear Captions and the delay time is awful. I've had people hang up on me. Is there one you would recommend?

I use Hamilton on my cell phone and Illinois Relay & a TTY with VCO on my landline.

The Hamilton delay does not seem excessive. All captioning will have some delay because the captions cannot be created until the other party says something. It is best to let the other person on the line know you are using a captioning service and thus the delay while they are created and you read them.

Here is the Hamilton site in case you want more information.
http://www.hamiltoncaptel.com/smartphone/

I also use the hamilton app,it works pretty well,it now has speaker button which i love so you can talk to a person but can also read what is being said,only bad thing is you need wifi,so phone calls on the road dont work

I also use the hamilton app,it works pretty well,it now has speaker button which i love so you can talk to a person but can also read what is being said,only bad thing is you need wifi,so phone calls on the road dont work

It has been a good year and 9 months + since my last post in this thread. I still use Illinois Relay & a TTY with VCO on my landline. But have switched to InnoCaption for my cell phone because I like them better than Hamilton. I do still have Hamilton on my cell phone just in case InnoCaption happens to be down for some reason when I need to make a call. But you have to watch your settings so that both don't want control of thee phone at the same time.

You cell phone does need to have simultaneous voice & data. That also gives you the chance to both read what is being said to you and listen to it if you are helped by that, Here is their web site address for you to really get the details. I think you might like them also. I am just a satisfied user.
http://www.innocaption.com/how-to-use-n/

It has been a good year and 9 months + since my last post in this thread. I still use Illinois Relay & a TTY with VCO on my landline. But have switched to InnoCaption for my cell phone because I like them better than Hamilton. I do still have Hamilton on my cell phone just in case InnoCaption happens to be down for some reason when I need to make a call. But you have to watch your settings so that both don't want control of thee phone at the same time.

You cell phone does need to have simultaneous voice & data. That also gives you the chance to both read what is being said to you and listen to it if you are helped by that, Here is their web site address for you to really get the details. I think you might like them also. I am just a satisfied user.
http://www.innocaption.com/how-to-use-n/
Thank you so much for the info,i will definetly try them,i have been looking for a good or decent app like this for my cell because i cannot hear on my cell at all,it would be really nice to be able to do so!! Thanks!!

Back