Interpreter Cert online classes?

Hutt5asl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this in the right section...

I have been teaching myself ASL, but I want to 'officially' take classes in ASL and then move onto Interpreter Certification. I don't have a ton of money to spend, and most regular college courses are so expensive.

Is there an online Interpreter Certification course that starts off with teaching basic ASL and moves on from there? And would this option give credits that I could possibly apply to a college course later to finish up the certification (or maybe a degree)? Or is there one that is totally online from start to finish?

I've been searching the internet and it's making my head spin! :P I just don't know which is the right route to take... Maybe I'm just expecting too much? Ha ha! I have 3 to 5 years at my current job before our contract is supposed to end, so I figured I'd better get started now. lol And I love ASL so why not do what I love to do?

By the way, I'm in southern NJ... I've looked at Burlington County College & Ocean County College courses, but quite frankly it's really expensive for me. Has anyone had experience going thru these colleges for Interpreter training, or that along with something online? And does anyone know what credits they accept? I tried to contact someone from BCC but haven't heard back yet...

Any tips would be greatly appreciated... :ty:

Mod's Note:

The thread has been moved to it's proper location.

Yes, I've heard of online ITP programs, but not online ASL courses. You really should learn ASL from a 3-D person first, the spatial nature of the language makes it work much better in person. Videos are helpful though. Once you are comfortable with ASL, you can start with online ITP programs...I have a friend who did one, I'll ask him what the name of the place was.

I am old school:giggle: been doing this for 15 years and I am still learning everyday. I am still weak on the receptive part its normal since, ASL is not my first language. Each day is new learning experience for me, I met a variety of deaf people from different countries and cultures. I graduate from my ITP in 2002. I still feel maybe , CSUN might be a good idea for in depth study, I wouldn't mind taking an interpreting class there its too expensive will see what happens.

Good luck to you in your study, I know University of Colorado DO IT Center Home has an online program but requires you to go in person during the summer session.

I am still weak on the receptive part its normal since, ASL is not my first language.

Actually normally for second languages receptive is stronger. I guess it would make sense for an interpreter to be the other way around though since you spent a disproportionate amount of time doing the expressive bit.

I have noticed A LOT of interpreters with not so great receptive skills which really annoys me. There is one in my community who I actually trust when it comes to voicing.

Actually normally for second languages receptive is stronger. I guess it would make sense for an interpreter to be the other way around though since you spent a disproportionate amount of time doing the expressive bit.

I have noticed A LOT of interpreters with not so great receptive skills which really annoys me. There is one in my community who I actually trust when it comes to voicing.
Really? I bow to your superior linguistics knowledge, but with my French (L3 for me) I am much better expressive than receptive. I can say pretty much anything I want to in French but I have a harder time understanding people. For ASL (my L2) I am also better expressively than receptively. Which is not to say that I don't understand French or I don't understand ASL - I have near-native fluency in ASL and intermediate level French - but on the grand scale of things my expressive is better than my receptive for both languages.

Really? I bow to your superior linguistics knowledge, but with my French (L3 for me) I am much better expressive than receptive. I can say pretty much anything I want to in French but I have a harder time understanding people. For ASL (my L2) I am also better expressively than receptively. Which is not to say that I don't understand French or I don't understand ASL - I have near-native fluency in ASL and intermediate level French - but on the grand scale of things my expressive is better than my receptive for both languages.

Like I said, I think it may have to do with the use of the language. It depends on when, where, and how much you use it. Interesting. I will look into this more!

Yes, I've heard of online ITP programs, but not online ASL courses. You really should learn ASL from a 3-D person first, the spatial nature of the language makes it work much better in person. Videos are helpful though. Once you are comfortable with ASL, you can start with online ITP programs...I have a friend who did one, I'll ask him what the name of the place was.

Thanks! I actually have already decided to go to an actual class at a local college. It tuned out ot be cheaper than I thought and I start in January! WooHOo!!

Have fun with the program!!! I'm so glad you decided to do it in person. Doing it online is OK, but an interpreter program is invaluable in person.

Hi, Lauren!

Congratulations on starting at an ITP! If you are interested, I have a workbook I've written and published for the knowledge portion of interpreting exams. I also present workshops for interpreters and interpreters-in-training. I'd love to be a resource for you along your journey! www.shonnapareja.com

Good luck!

Warmly,
Shonna

Back