Hi, this is Sabiya.....

Sabiya

Reaction score
I'm 27, and live in AZ, USA.

I was born a hearing person but I was premature. I had to have heart surgery at 18 months old to save my life, doctors back then weren't that familiar with the surgery since it was still kind of new (I think). They pumped me with a buttload of antibiotics, and that caused sensorineural hearing loss.

It wasn't my hearing being affected per se, but it caused nerve damage. According to my audiologists over the years, I can wear hearing aids but I can't have cochlear implants since it's my nerves that were damaged not my ears. Makes sense, my left side is weaker and parts of my body is numb, so yeah it is indeed nerve damage.

My family thought I was mentally slow, they didn't find out until I was 5 years old that I was hearing impaired. :eek3: I have moderate to severe hearing loss, I was brought up orally so I need to lip-read, I can't sign unless it's the alphabet. I took speech therapy from 1st grade to 6th grade in NYC, I dropped it in 7th grade because the first 6 years while I took both ESL and Speech Therapy, kids were making fun of me... so I didn't want to be made fun of again and didn't go back to Speech Therapy from 7th grade onwards.

I never asked for any accommodations or assistance with anything (you can imagine how high school was with no CC on videos -- the few times I asked for CC, my classmates looked at me all annoyed so I stopped asking for CC out of embarrassment), until I graduated and went out in the real world.

I wasn't part of deaf culture nor hung out with other deafies, until now. I'm so behind on this whole thing, I was raised to be "normal" like my family said, to act as if nothing's wrong with me, but I'm at the point where I really NEED to acknowledge that I do have limitations. My husband is loving and understanding to me, and even though I sometimes skip words or stutter in my speech (thanks to my not taking speech therapy or talking to others for a long time), he understands me.

I came on these forums because I need someone to talk to, I needed a sense of community. Hearing people do not understand what I've been through, and I just needed a helping hand so to speak. Being isolated all these years without anyone that understood me completely (asides from my hearing husband and some of my well-meaning hearing friends) caused me some deep depression and anxiety. It even damaged my self-esteem if I want to delve deeper.

I hope I can come out of this a strong woman. Thanks for reading.

Hey there! Enjoy your stay. I'm sure that you will fit right in here. :)

I'm Danielle. And yes I am hearing. Lol. I just keep coming back for the crowd.

Enjoy! And I hope to see you around.

Hi! :wave: I have nerve damage hearing lost and my audi said I am a good candidate for an implant . I can't believe that doctors still can't tell when a person is hoh by their defect. I love the way people say to be " normal" just what does a normal person act like ? I was 8 yo when my parents knew I was hoh and this was 60 years ago. People thought I was slow too , do you think people will ever think to see if a person is deaf or hoh before writing them off as being 'slow'?? I personally feel the doctors are the that are slow .

Big hello sabiya.
Welcome to all deaf. I was born.hearie too, got lucky became deaf at 9. , do yourself a favor and learn sign..right now you know the alphabet, thats just the start, sign is wealth of hidden treasures waiting to be descovered by you, you can do it, plenty deafie would love to help you, .slow but sure, you will pick it up, its our language, and will set you free..
Good to meat you

hello sabiya what unusual name....your story is very familiar to many, you not on your own many of us feel isolated at times hang in gal

Sabiya is middle eastern for "Eastern/Morning Wind". I thought it had a nice ring to it :)

Your story is VERY familiar...... It sucks b/c NY state for some strange reason has decided that only kids with profound losses *need* Deaf ed, and Sign......
and yes.....hoh kids are for some reason supposed to "magically" assimulate into hearing society with very little "safety net" resources like Deaf ed, or Cued Speech, or ASL or even oral deaf ed.
Wish it would change.
Although I am 8 years older then you are, I experianced the same thing....I grew up HOH in the mainstream, with very minimal exposure to other dhh kids. As a matter of fact, when I was little I thought I was the only HOH kid in the world.
Welcome to the communinity!

Hi Sabiya, Welcome to AD! Wow, your life story is similar to mine. Even I was born premature. Due to some antibiotics, I lost my hearing probably at the age of 3 years old. I am completely deaf in my right ear and moderate to severely deaf in my left ear.
I also went through a speech therapist for about 4 years and studied in mainstream school. Good to know that someone out there went through a similar life like mine.
It's good that you joined AD and I hope you will come out a stronger person.

Hey Sabiya,

I'm also a profound kid in the hearing culture attending the public schools. I understand the embarrassment of speech therapy and having to ask for CCs.

I have been in your shoes almost exactly, but I continue with speech therapy which is annoying, but it does help. The CC videos are more regular now and I have a transcriber (god bless my mom) so I'm more up to date.

I really hope you find some social change that you are looking for, and if others make fun of you, just ignore it and tell them they should be ashamed of themselves.

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!
I really wish I wasn't raised hearing. The other day my husband and I got into a discussion and we agreed that since hearing loss degenerates due to age, maybe in ten years my hearing will be so much worse..... perhaps, now is the time my husband and I should learn ASL.

My husband thinks if I get good enough, I can have a career as an ASL interpreter instead of trying to be an accountant (what I am currently studying), I do not know. Growing up, I hated the idea of pigeon holing myself into something. Just because I am deaf, doesn't mean I should get deaf jobs. Just because I'm good at ballet, doesn't mean I should be a dancer. Just because I love to draw, doesn't mean that I should be an artist. Etc.

I was always the type to do something different. Like my brother, he's an athlete at heart, and a genius.... his dream was to be a firefighter, fire fighting has nothing to do with sports or smarts (okay, only some part of it). My dream was to be a vet, that had nothing to do with my being deaf or artistic! :)

But hey, life threw us lemons. I ended up graduating with an Art degree, my brother ended up not being able to finish fire fighting school and is now working as a pool man. My husband is a genius, wanted to make games by programming them, that didn't happen and now wants to be a green energy scientist. Life's weird like that :)

Maybe I should think on being an ASL interpreter (if I can) after all....

Thank you very much for the warm welcome!
I really wish I wasn't raised hearing. The other day my husband and I got into a discussion and we agreed that since hearing loss degenerates due to age, maybe in ten years my hearing will be so much worse..... perhaps, now is the time my husband and I should learn ASL.

My husband thinks if I get good enough, I can have a career as an ASL interpreter instead of trying to be an accountant (what I am currently studying), I do not know. Growing up, I hated the idea of pigeon holing myself into something. Just because I am deaf, doesn't mean I should get deaf jobs. Just because I'm good at ballet, doesn't mean I should be a dancer. Just because I love to draw, doesn't mean that I should be an artist. Etc.

I was always the type to do something different. Like my brother, he's an athlete at heart, and a genius.... his dream was to be a firefighter, fire fighting has nothing to do with sports or smarts (okay, only some part of it). My dream was to be a vet, that had nothing to do with my being deaf or artistic! :)

But hey, life threw us lemons. I ended up graduating with an Art degree, my brother ended up not being able to finish fire fighting school and is now working as a pool man. My husband is a genius, wanted to make games by programming them, that didn't happen and now wants to be a green energy scientist. Life's weird like that :)

Maybe I should think on being an ASL interpreter (if I can) after all....

I think most parents need to think and act proactively, even if their kid is "only" mildly HOH or only has a unilateral loss.....It's so frustrating coming on here or going on FB and seeing the exact same stories......I think most parents are well meaning and think "Oh my kid is doing well and doesn't "need" this or that, and might not think about progressive losses or stuff like dating (imagine dating only having oral skills..... "Oh baby can you moan right into the FM mic?")
You're not just limited to being a 'terp... maybe you could be a TOD, or a dorm worker or a social service provider for deaf people!

What is TOD? I'm sorry I don't know all the deaf lingo just yet. I'm just recently started calling myself deaf or hard of hearing instead of "hearing impaired"!

What is TOD? I'm sorry I don't know all the deaf lingo just yet. I'm just recently started calling myself deaf or hard of hearing instead of "hearing impaired"!

TOD mean that you can be Teacher Of the Deaf in Deaf Education.

You can choose either one for d/Deaf or Hard Of Hearing (HOH) instead of Hearing Impaired. I don't like the term "hearing impaired".

Hi! I'm was born hearing impaired too. I lost more hearing over time. I feel left out too. I was curious if you have facebook? How are you? I care and understand. Write back soon.

:wave: everyone

I was also born very premature...doc's told my mom I was missing inner ear bones.
No formal hearing loss determined as a child. I had multiple speech and language problems. Am now hoh.

i have described myself impaired but don't anymore.The more i see it more uncomfortable i become, some will agree other shoot me down.

Back