Need your help in suggesting name of deaf culture book

Peachy Lady

Reaction score
My deaf friend has problem trying to explain to her inlaws about deaf culture. They thought that there's no such thing as "deaf culture" and thought it was ridiculous. They don't understand why she watches tv at their house or doesn't enjoy being with them since they do not sign. She dreads going there for birthdays and holidays because she's always left out. They refuse to take sign language classes since she could talk. She's deaf so she's lost when the inlaws talk with each other.

I need your recommendation on good deaf culture book so that they would understand better what it's like to be deaf and why she has been feeling left out. When I get several recommendations, I will suggest them to her so she would buy the books for them. Thanks for your help.

"For Hearing People Only" is a good book for hearing people to have. It is for a beginner but it's a start. It might help them get the idea why your friend has dreaded going to birthdays and holidays. This book doesn't really specify why a deaf person feels left out among hearing members at a event or wherever it is. The book is generalized and has variety of answers.

There's also a list of other recommendations that you might want to have a look at. It includes the summary of what contains in the book.

Books to Read about the Deaf Community

Hope that helps. :)

And how about printing the many posts/threads here where people talk about their frustrations and difficulties at family gatherings?

And when I finish my book, "Hearing Aids and Handcuffs", I'll send a copy. Lol...J/K about the book.....

QUOTE=Tousi;947912]And how about printing the many posts/threads here where people talk about their frustrations and difficulties at family gatherings?

And when I finish my book, "Hearing Aids and Handcuffs", I'll send a copy. Lol...J/K about the book.....[/QUOTE]

All the posts shared by many of us who went through the same thing will definitely make a thick book! :giggle:

Thanks Jolie for the listing of books. I have forwarded that to my friend and she can pick whichever she wants to buy, but I also suggested the book that you suggested.

Haha Tousi...Hearing aids and handicuffs. Not bad idea to copy paste ADers posts about their frustrations to show them. Yeah Shel it wud be a HUGE book! Many of us (myself included) have been frustrated with hearing people who were ignorant about deaf culture, etc.

And how about printing the many posts/threads here where people talk about their frustrations and difficulties at family gatherings?

And when I finish my book, "Hearing Aids and Handcuffs", I'll send a copy. Lol...J/K about the book.....

That is a good title for Audism! Exactly my feeling about Audism. Good joking.

Only I can think of and trick with inlaw.

If I were her, I will set up have some friends mini-party such as game like what is that, is that bird?

So that way hearing can join to play game and realize felt left out and may storm out themselves. It same pattern how Deaf person felt that way when there no communicate or open to us and felt not worth being stay.

If there is no Deaf culture, then why do we have Gay/Leb Culture or Mexico has culture if there no need added for Deaf.

It similar pattern but that what I would debate, if they refuse.. fine.. not see them until visit at their funeral.

I had wondered where my handcuffs had gone! Tousi, Tousi, Tousi! :whip:

Kangaroo ;)

If there is no Deaf culture, then why do we have Gay/Leb Culture or Mexico has culture if there no need added for Deaf.
I think it is safe to say Deaf is a sub-culture, not a culture. There was a discussion about this somewhere, I believe on the old DeafNotes forums.

I had wondered where my handcuffs had gone! Tousi, Tousi, Tousi! :whip:

Kangaroo ;)

Hey, Kangaroo is here! Good to see you. Ummm, My "handcuffs" reflect the paper axe my book is about; I don't recall any fur on 'em! :giggle:

Hey, Kangaroo is here! Good to see you. Ummm, My "handcuffs" reflect the paper axe my book is about; I don't recall any fur on 'em! :giggle:

Hey Hopper I stole it. :giggle:

Why not invite deaf friend over along with the few hearing ppl and let them see how she communicate with them and see if they can put up with.

It happened to me before. It works! My families and friends now understood how I felt when I feel left out. :D

Back