Which brand shampoo worked the best for teenager's oily hair?

Peachy Lady

Reaction score
I have a 12 yr old daughter that has very oily hair. Nothing seemed to help so far. Please let me know what shampoo has your teenager been using that helped remove the oil out of scalp and hair. Thanks so much:)

Hmm... I don't really know which shampoo would work best.

You could try contacting various shampoo companies for samples and use those samples to see which works best.

Have you tried a hair salon or beauty supply store? Sometimes, they know what will help. :)

Look for shampoo that says normal to oily hair on the shampoo product. Not all do, sometimes shampoo tells you funny things like frizzy up or dazzly shine...whatever, you have to figure out what they meant...:giggle: like in Aussie and Herbel Esence shampoo and conditioner.

If on the counter shampoo doesn't work, ask ur salon or doctor to see what is best to use.

Restless heart, my daughter tried Drama under Herbal Essence and it didn't help. It was supposed to help oily hair. The sud foam just disappeared as soon as the shampoo went into her hair. I went to several stores and looked at many shampoo products and none of them said it's for oily hair. I remember many years ago, they used to, but not now. Only one I cud see was from Herbal Essence.

Hi Vampy :wave: I will stop by Sally's beauty supply store tomorrow and see if they can suggest any good shampoo for oily hair. Good idea about contacting several companies and ask for shampoo samples. Never thought of that, or done that before. My daughter is frustrated with her oily hair so I felt bad for her, wanting to help her with right kind of shampoo.

Any other suggestions on name brand, anyone?

There's so many brands of shampoo for oily hair, you may have to keep buying different products until one works best for your daughter's hair. Look for formulated oily hair, pH balance, deep cleansing or clarifying shampoos but do not use conditioner or shampoo that combined with conditioner since it will make your daughter's hair more oily but if you must use conditioner, do not apply it on the scalp, only very small amount on the ends of the hair.

Have you tried vinegar or lemon juice as a rinse after shampooing?

How about you try Organic form of shampoo?

I find it makes my hair much softer and less oily, much less than when I were using shampoos such as Pantene etc.

You could check out Neem.

My Angel, thanks for your advices. Will try vinegar or lemon juice after shampooing. I used to use tea tree shampoo...years ago:) It smelt great. I like the smell of tea tree oil.

Miss Delectable, I will check with health store for organic shampoo and ask staff there which ones worked the best.

NorCal20...will try that too.

Thanks to all for your advices.

For my daughter, who can be a pain, we used (get this) Dawn dish detergent (grease cutter) for the first shampoo then a Tresame (sp?) for the second. The dawn got all the oil, then the other softened her haid and made it more manageable.:giggle:

Are you sure you're not talking about me? Lol j/k I had same exact problem.
I tried many shampoo including drama clean. I love the smell but it doesn't work a smidge for me.
What I found to cleanse the oil and junk off wonderfully and I'm still using it. Its called Tigi Bedhead Brunette Goddess. It worked perfectly.
Shampoo would feel like its not working and sort of sticky watery-ish while she lather it but wait as soon she rinse it with water its when you will be amazed with result of how squeaky clean hair is and then conditioner feel watery too but same thing after rinising it it feel silky soft without weighting her hair down and if she want extra volume, just give her tourmaline ionic hair dryer by conair and show her how to blow her hair dry whatever worked better with round brush or upside down.

Let me know if any of suggestions worked :)
Also I've heard if you makes baking soda paste (with water) it will clairify scalps... *shrugs* and apple cider vinegar rinse too.

Once again, I asked my sister :rofl: she's a licensed beautician. I'm a certified missspeller. She says this:

"Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo Two" can be used daily (every other day recommended)

As for conditioning, use a detangler (such as Paul Mitchell's Lite Detangler) after she showers, and do not spray directly on scalp. If using a conditioner, follow that same rule, and stay away from the root area on the scalp or her hair will become greasy much quicker.

She later added that she should rinse the conditioner out of her hair before getting out of the shower :giggle:

EDIT: she's a licensed cosmetologist, excuse me =o

Last edited:
"Head and Shoulder" shampoo for grease or dandruff is the best recommendation but DO NOTuse conditioner. My hubby check with Dermatologist... He were being recommended to try "Head and Shoulder" shampoo for grease or dandruff after examined his head. "Head and Shoulder" shampoo work on him pretty good... It was happened at 20 years ago. Dermatologist advised him to not wash his hair everyday because it would worst... My hubby washed his hair 3 times a week.... very less grease... Now he can wash his hair once a week... Just shampoo, not use conditioner after shampoo...

If my advise over "Head and Shoulder" shampoo doesn't work on your daughter then check with Dermatologist... He/She can examined your daughter's head....

Have you tried vinegar or lemon juice as a rinse after shampooing?

Yes, we use it time to time to shine our hair - it's good but it doesn't solve anything to reduce oily/grease hair but just shine hair... My hubby had been tried it ... much worst ... it make look like that my hubby haven't wash for weeks... :eek3::giggle:

Wash hair once a week - it works wonders for me.

Try this homemade conditioner:

2 egg yolks
20mL (1 tablespoon) coconut oil.
10mL (2 teaspoons) apple cider vinegar
10mL honey
10mL lecithin

Mix all the ingredients.
After shampooing your hair with your usual shampoo, spread the homemade conditioner throughout your hair. Leave it in for 5 minutes.
Rinse thoroughly.

Be aware that your hair will be quite oily/greasy due to the coconut oil, but don't wash your hair for 2-3 days. Have your hair tied up until it's ready to be washed again. After 2-3 days, wash your hair with your usual shampoo and conditioner.

I have tried this and it worked WONDERS for me!

Back