Fat in movie popcorn = 12 hamburgers

Sometimes I like the sinful stuff but at home I always use white seed corn. I don't like yellow seed. Then I dribble melted butter over my popcorn. Japanese hulless white seed is the best but hard to find. One year, I grew this seed in the garden but i haven't had a garden for a long time now.....
Oooo, gourmet popcorn for sure. :)

Beats what we served at our movie theater in the 60's. Pre-popped bags of rubbery popcorn, dumped into a fake popper, warmed with a heat lamp, and drenched in tinted melted lard. :lol:

Often, the movie is the loss leader. The real profit is in concessions. That's why theaters prohibit bringing in your own food and drink.

Sometimes I like the sinful stuff but at home I always use white seed corn. I don't like yellow seed. Then I dribble melted butter over my popcorn. Japanese hulless white seed is the best but hard to find. One year, I grew this seed in the garden but i haven't had a garden for a long time now.....

Same here, I always use the white ones. I prefer them to the yellow ones.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Banjo said:
Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Thats why we dont go to movies cuz of price of a ticket, etc. My parents and I used to sneak in food in theathers when I was young. Its much healthier than that crap.

We usually buy movie passes from Costco. Save us money that way. I usually buy a pass that is worth 2 tickets, 2 regular-sized soda drinks and 2 regular-sized bags of popcorn for $22.99 plus taxes. The ticket alone is $10 each. Don't get me started on the food prices.

Otherwise, I'll just smuggle the food in.

Thats not so bad, otherwise staying at home watching a movie on a big hdtv with surround sounds good but more expensive, lol.

Thats not so bad, otherwise staying at home watching a movie on a big hdtv with surround sounds good but more expensive, lol.

I have a HD projector at home, that's how I watch most of my movies these days.

Oooo, gourmet popcorn for sure. :)

Beats what we served at our movie theater in the 60's. Pre-popped bags of rubbery popcorn, dumped into a fake popper, warmed with a heat lamp, and drenched in tinted melted lard. :lol:

Ewwww! :lol: However, I must say there was a time I would dribble a little bacon grease over my fave popcorn. It was good...this was way back when my Mom would save some bacon drippings.....oh, and sometimes a little pepper to go with regular table salt and not that powdered "popcorn salt".

Ewwww! :lol: However, I must say there was a time I would dribble a little bacon grease over my fave popcorn. It was good...this was way back when my Mom would save some bacon drippings.....oh, and sometimes a little pepper to go with regular table salt and not that powdered "popcorn salt".

:laugh2:

Popcorn IS healthy without all the crap on it, but here's my point. So what if theater popcorn has all the crap on it? We should enjoy these things once in awhile. I get SO sick and tired of people telling me what I can and can't eat because," OMG! It's got FAT in it!"

People should eat in moderation and not worry about fat and calories so much. I'd rather have REAL fat then some of this artificial crap we have on the market. Which brings up another point. Some people scream about that, too. What would you rather have? A product that has real fat in it or a product that is artificially made low fat?

I LOVE your philosophy! I live by it. :)

I love the movie theater dripping buttery popcorn. I eat that maybe once every 5 years. hehehehe!

I can't eat it. It makes me sick. Now, I know why!

Well, you have seen one-pound white seed corn next to the yellow seed at your supermarket, right? This white seed is ok but theJjapanese hulless is best.....not sure if I can buy it in bulk or have to get seed for growing it. I will look but am not in a hurry, lol....

We don't have white seed corn in Australia only yellow corn. If I had tried to get the white corn shipped in Australia, the customs would have gotten their mitts on and then confiscate it. :(

Popcorn IS healthy without all the crap on it, but here's my point. So what if theater popcorn has all the crap on it? We should enjoy these things once in awhile. I get SO sick and tired of people telling me what I can and can't eat because," OMG! It's got FAT in it!"

People should eat in moderation and not worry about fat and calories so much. I'd rather have REAL fat then some of this artificial crap we have on the market. Which brings up another point. Some people scream about that, too. What would you rather have? A product that has real fat in it or a product that is artificially made low fat?

I like how you think regarding popcorn. :)

My dad (who grew up on an Indiana farm during the Depression) used to mix hot bacon grease with sorghum syrup and pour it over fresh biscuits for special breakfasts. I think it was the poor person's substitute for butter. It sounds gross but it tasted wonderful. :)

I LOVE your philosophy! I live by it. :)

Miss Delectable said:

I like how you think regarding popcorn. :)[/QUOTE]

It took a long time for me to put that into practice. I have a history of an eating disorder, and for a long time, I was very fat phobic. I still have some residual thinking surrounding it, but for the most part I try to practice what I preach.

Having said that, I have eaten the low fat versions of things and I DO like some of the stuff. Same with artificial sweetners. But, I also believe very strongly now that it's OK to go to the movie theater and have that tub of popcorn dripping with butter and covered in salt! There's not a flipping thing wrong with it so long as one eats a well balanced diet MOST of the time.

I'm really not someone who likes extremes; which is saying something considering eating disorders are ALL ABOUT extremes.

Miss D, what is the culture like in your country? Is it as fat phobic/body conscience as it here in the US?

My dad (who grew up on an Indiana farm during the Depression) used to mix hot bacon grease with sorghum syrup and pour it over fresh biscuits for special breakfasts. I think it was the poor person's substitute for butter. It sounds gross but it tasted wonderful. :)

Yes, yes, I agree!

Miss Delectable, I really can't see why white seed corn wouldn't grow in Australia.....

I like eating popcorn, especially buttered popcorn. But, I don't justify the cost for popcorn and coke, so I usually watch movies without any munchies. But, after a movie, I usually eat a large pizza, which I am sure is not very healthy anyway. :)

Miss Delectable said:
I like how you think regarding popcorn. :)

Miss D, what is the culture like in your country? Is it as fat phobic/body conscience as it here in the US?[/QUOTE]

Well, I don't think we are fat phobic but I believe for most part that we are body conscious. However, we do have a Obesity epidemic and it's expected to worsen over the next decade.

Miss Delectable, I really can't see why white seed corn wouldn't grow in Australia.....

I don't know if it has been grown in Australia but the law is very strict on where and what seeds we buy or bring into this country.

I once ordered a box of microwavable popcorn from US and the custom got their hand on it and they sent me a letter informing me it was against the law to bring in kernels that has not been grown or treated in this country. So they then incinernated it.

Back